Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much better is Bose system? I've found a car that has all the other options I want, but for some reason, no Bose while having PCM!!!

The car's not local, so I cannot test the audio myself...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Search in the Electronics forum. Many threads on this topic. Non-Bose is likely easier to do much upgrading if you're heavy into car audio. If you're not overly particular the Bose may be enough though as you'll find the bass is way overdone in the Cayman though reportedly easy to cure by stuffing the sub. I didn't really pay attention to differences as the audio wasn't really a selling point. My car had everything I really wanted with the possible exception of PASM so the Bose came along for the ride. To be honest I don't even recall turning it on until after I bought it.

I'm really not sure why Porsche worked with Bose. Bose has a lot of name recognition in the big box store audio market but that's not really Porsche's target audience I'd guess. As far as the audiophile world goes Bose hasn't had any real credit for 30+ years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For a Boxster (convertible) Bose is great...I would not put a high end system for a car that will have the top down most of the time..Cayman may be another story...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I have an '06 S, so I apparently have the upgraded standard audio with 6 speakers. It sounds good to me, but I do have to re-adjust the bass depending on which FM station or CD I'm listening to (many of my CDs are mixes I put together from ripped MP3s.)

BUT, if I wanted to install XM- they would have to install PCM first, then XM, for $1700 total. If you had PCM and wanted XM, you could do it for WAY cheaper! ...as I understand it, trying to do XM with the Bose unit is much more problematic. But I haven't read through all the posts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A car like a Cayman is too noisy on the inside to justify the price of a "high-end" audio system (mind the quotes ;) ). If it has PCM it already has a more than good-enough radio imho. The real sound installation is installed just behind the front seats.

If you don't agree, compare the sound quality of a non-bose + PCM car and a Bose + PCM car when going full throttle at 5K rpm and higher :dance:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have an '06 S, so I apparently have the upgraded standard audio with 6 speakers. It sounds good to me, but I do have to re-adjust the bass depending on which FM station or CD I'm listening to (many of my CDs are mixes I put together from ripped MP3s.)
Just worth mentioning here that the BOSE system can store separate sound settings (bass, treable, fade, etc.) for radio and CD.

·
Aqua Blue Metallic Mafia OG
569 Posts
I was unhappy with the Bose system in my 2006 Boxster. My 2009 Carrera was ordered without it and I couldn't be happier. The base is tight and sounds great. In my opinion Bose is not needed so take the car if that is your only stumbling block.
:cheers:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Get the car. Both systems are pretty crappy if you want high fidelity, and both are good enough if you don't.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all...

This is actually for a Carrera, not Cayman. Would that make any difference?

I am particular about Audio, but mostly at home, and not to much in my car. I just wanna make sure it sounds above average, and has all the functionalities (play mp3/wma, have good bass/highs, good details and adjustments).

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
My guess is then that you'll be disappointed either way, unless Porsche spent more time on the Carrera. The car equipped the way you like isn't close but how about cars with just the two sound options forgetting the rest for the moment. If possible I'd really recommend listening if you're looking for above average sound. Then make the call on the car you want. If neither system does it for you just plan on a good aftermarket system and get the car equipped the way you want it.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Thank you all...

This is actually for a Carrera, not Cayman. Would that make any difference?

I am particular about Audio, but mostly at home, and not to much in my car. I just wanna make sure it sounds above average, and has all the functionalities (play mp3/wma, have good bass/highs, good details and adjustments).
The cubic volume of the Carrera is probably twice the size of a Cayman, and the motor isn't sitting 6" behind your head/ears - so the environment is already much better - the Bose system in my '02 996 turbo was very good, imo. But still, don't expect a concert-hall experience or sound like you might find in very solid sedans, like a Lexus or a Bimmer.

brad

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I was in the new 997 Carrera closed cabin at my local Porsche dealer that was fitted with Bose. They still haven't addressed the booming bass. I turned the bass down to -3 and sounded horribly muddy! The sales guy was in the car and couldn't help laugh at the ridiculous situation. :crazy:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I liked the sound of the Bose in my 05 Boxster, not too crazy about it in my 07 Cayman. It tends to sound bassy and slighty muffled unless you crank it pretty loud.

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
I had a non-bose that I got rid of because it was horrible! Added an all in one DVD/CD/Radio/Nav system, with amp and sub. Now I actually turn the radio on...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm surprised no one has advised to stuff the Bose subwoffer with the material used in pillows. Much discussion and even a how to article in the files. Greatly improves the sound of the whole system. But, in my opinion, this car is just too noisy going down the road for ANY system to sound great except when stopped with the engine off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2009 2.9 non-bose and the sound quality is mediocre at best. Even with the motor off sitting in the garage, it's pretty bad. My question is this....do you think that's more to do with the "head unit" CDR-30? Or the speakers? Or both?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi, I have a Cayman with the base stereo; i.e., 2 speakers in door, 2 in dash, and no upgrades whatsoever (thanks local dealer for ordering it that way together with heated seats that are useless to me). In an effort to improve the abyssmal sound of this awful sound system, I got two (2) estimates from the shop that was recommended by the Porsche club members. Using the CDR-24 radio, with JL Audio CL-SSP and CL441dsp, adding rear speakers and upgrading the front speakers ($250 speakers), I was quoted $2300. Almost half of that was labor. After I finished gagging and retching, I asked how much for just the front speakers and was told $1900. I'm sorry, but I'm just not enough of an audiophile to spend that kind of $$$ for a stereo for a weekend car, and I'm quite sure the whole amount would add nothing to resale value. So, I'm learning to just listen to the beautiful engine sounds when underway, and the bad stereo will have to do the rest of the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts