Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all . I just purchased a 2012 base cayenne for my wife . I bought it sight unseen from a reputable dealer . Having it shipped to my house . It’s got 55k miles on it and records show it was serviced at Porsche dealer up until it’s last visit at 45k . I am hoping to get at least 6 more years out of it . No warranty of course because it’s used . It had all the options that we were looking for . I really don’t have a question justhoping I made a good choice as a bad choice and I couldn’t sink thousands in to it . And I did not have a PPI done . I do plan to when it arrives and that will be to late but at least it will give me a good idea of what I got .

·
Registered
310 Posts
Congratulations and good luck. I did the same thing 3 years and then ended up needing a transfer case replacement...which is a very common problem on the Cayenne even at low miles. Also the lane change control module was bad, which is unnecessary so I never replaced it. You might want to have the Camshaft bolt checked too, on 2010-2012 V8 models they can break and destroy your engine.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
FYI warranty on the transfer case on Cayennes and Macans has apparently been extended by Porsche, didnt read through all the thread / terms but I think reimbursement also applicable if paid out of pocket for repair/replacement

·
Registered
310 Posts
FYI warranty on the transfer case on Cayennes and Macans has apparently been extended by Porsche, didnt read through all the thread / terms but I think reimbursement also applicable if paid out of pocket for repair/replacement

I had mine 2012 done out of warranty 2 years ago, Porsche paid half of the $4100 charge.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had mine 2012 done out of warranty 2 years ago, Porsche paid half of the $4100 charge.

You might be able to get them to cover the other half now if you still have the invoice since if it happened now I think it would be fully covered per the info in the link.

Definitely doesnt hurt to call PCNA and ask.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Phil and Viki - you may want to go explore the rennlist.com Cayenne section. It is likely the best Cayenne resource on the web including a library of DIY's.

The base models are generally trouble-free - there is a sticky in the 958 section there on buying a used Cayenne, you might want to read that - it points out all the weak/concern points on different models/engines/years.

As far as the transfer case - early 958's get the transfer case warranty extended to 10 years from in-service date. That means some 2011's may just briefly be covered by the warranty. Despite it getting a lot of attention on the forum, it's not every Cayenne. My 2011 Turbo has 103,000 miles and is on the original transfer case. I do change the oil on it regularly - which if done faithfully seems to fend off failure. Porsche has now started changing the oil on "defective" cases before replacing them - I think in response to the success we reported in the Rennlist forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts