Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fulfilled a lifelong dream yesterday and purchased a 986 Boxster S. It’s a second car for me with only 24,000 miles. An absolute blast to drive, more than a thought it would be. The IMS is already done and in has a new clutch.

I’ve owned a 981 Cayman and currently own a 718 Cayman. It’s so interesting seeing the origins of the car line I’ve got so much passion for.

I have a few questions:
1. The top has a small non-leaking tear, and there’s no OEM top on Suncoast. What is considered the best brand of replacement top?

2. The steering is remarkably heavy. Is this just the feel to this older model? It’s usable, but it does take more effort than I’d expect.

3. Has anyone done the Suncoast aftermarket Stereo upgrade? Does it take slicing into vehicle wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
This guy seems to specialize in 986s and has many good technical articles. Maybe your used to the electric steering of the 981/718 vs the 987 hydraulics.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
This guy seems to specialize in 986s and has many good technical articles. Maybe your used to the electric steering of the 981/718 vs the 987 hydraulics.
That’s what came to my mind as well especially if his other Porsches had power steering plus.

When I had my 2008 I test drove a 981 and was surprised by how much more precise and quick the steering was. In particular the turn-in on corner entry was much more to my liking. The 987S seemed a bit dead in comparison. Kinda ironic since the 981 has electronic steering. At the time I knew I wanted one. Just took another 5+ years for me to do it :)

The 718 feels slightly better than my 981 to me but not nearly as large a difference as 987 vs 981.

Just my opinion of course.

Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
IMO the 986 steering does feel like higher effort than either 987 or 981.

Best of luck with the 986 S. Pelican parts has some good content too. I found Wayne Dempsey's book to be useful. Also you can get a Bentley Service manual.

·
Registered
643 Posts
1. The top has a small non-leaking tear, and there’s no OEM top on Suncoast. What is considered the best brand of replacement top?

2. The steering is remarkably heavy. Is this just the feel to this older model? It’s usable, but it does take more effort than I’d expect.

3. Has anyone done the Suncoast aftermarket Stereo upgrade? Does it take slicing into vehicle wiring?

1.Im surprised Suncoast doesn’t list one. My original is still good, but I’d go Porsche part if possible.
2.My 2000BS doesn’t feel particularly heavy, different but not heavy. You might have a rack issue?
3.i only had a CDR220 and upgraded to the PCRM classic radio retrofit that was plug and play in my 986. I did the after market upgrade in my 987C and the wiring had to be modified. IIRC the speaker leads all had to be swapped around. I paid a pro to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts