Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love the car and it is my first Porsche. It took 49 years to get one. The car is stunning to look at, has a sweet sounding exhaust note, drives like a dream, is black and has a tan interior. Quite a step up from my 1994 Z28. Not too many options but didn't think I would really care and really dont. My friend the Porsche mechanic tried to discourage me from buying the non-S model. I know the S is a hell of a lot faster, but in Porsche circles, am I really looked down upon for having the non-S model? I got a good deal on the car and the insurance is reasonable as I have a company car I drive to the office. Any thoughts from you guys? This is my first post and any feedback about my choice would be much appreciated. Photos of the car are found in my profile.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Congrats on the car!

I wouldn't worry about being looked down upon. All of the owners I've met have never brought up the subject of a "S" vs. non-"S". You have a Porsche!

As a side note, two of the fastest and best drivers I know own non-"S" Caymans.

Of course I'm saying this as a "S" owner. If I had a GT3, I couldn't even be bothered to look upon you... :hilarious:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm a non-S owner, and so is my dad. I'm lovin' this car too much to care if any S owner looks down on me. I don't think it really matters.

Congrats on the new car!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thumbs up, I am overly self conscious about this thing but man is it fanatastic to drive and look at!! I just can't believe I waited so long to buy one. I hope I don't get bored with it but I don't see that being an issue based on what I am reading on these boards.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Nice Non-S car pppfffttt. Just kidding:hilarious: It really does not matter in civilized city driving. Unless you are on a track or Autobahn, I doubt you will max out on high end speed.

Congratulations and enjoy the drive!

What is it with all those stickers on the passenger side?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I read somewhere that less than 10% of Boxster/Cayman models sold are S models. You are in the majority, you win! If anyone gives you **** about not having an S they are either encouraging/enabling you to make a purchase or are idiot know nothings. YMMV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In Southern California it's what doesn't matter that seems to. It seems like the majority of the Hollywood looking types that buy or lease a Porsche don't really know what they have and give others the snob vibe, especially the 911 drivers. The dealerships around here seem to only stock the S model and every idiot I have talked to about the car always says "You did get the S model, right?" like doing anything else would be a mistake. These are the same people who drive early 90's BMW's and Toyotas and Nissans. That's what I find irritating. How much more power do I really need? The 2.9l is fast little car in my opinion but the whole "S" thing really seems to get overblown. All I know is that when I get in the car with that huge tach staring me in the face, I feel like Steve McQueen or Sean Connery. The curves of the front fender and back wheel wells in the as they appear in the side mirrors are incredible. The more I think about it, the less it seems to matter.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the site and the club and congrats on the new car.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I picked my base Cayman over a Carrera Cabriolet. I've been a fan of 911's since I was a kid, and passed on the opportunity to buy one after I drove the Cayman. I just thought the Cayman seemed more fun. I'll probably get jumped on for sayin' that, but that was the experience I had and I don't regret it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you feel you need more,that feeling may eat at you until you give in. And then............you will need more. Please just enjoy what sounds like a lovely car!:cheers::cheers:

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
These are the same people who drive early 90's BMW's and Toyotas and Nissans.
From another thread about using Cayman S for drag racing and getting close to 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile. One of the inspectors impressed by the time asked if the Cayman S is the twin turbo version. The owner corrected him but after some pontificating on his thread he should have said "S is for SEVEN Turbos!!!".

I recommend you take those desk jockeys for a spirited drive and ask them if Twin Turbos is sufficient in a regular Cayman versus Seven Turbos in a Cayman S.:hilarious:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Don't worry about the S versus non S thing. It's snob appeal to people who do not appreciate good cars.

Even on the track, the non S serves very well indeed. Sure there may be a few cars faster on the straights. But at those speed, 5 MPH difference well over the dollar mark is going quickly enough. THen any Cayman is really sweet especially in the twisties. All in all a really fun ride.

As a new owner, may I suggest two things. First really study the owner's manual. Most people ignore the manual and miss lots of features designed into this car. Like a slot by the passenger seat for a folded umbrella, or the turning down of the passenger rear view mirror when you engage reverse.

And second, after you are comfortable with the car, take a mini-vacation to somewhere scenic with twisty roads. I did and came home truly smitten. Now two years later, I'm still smitten.

The Cayman is a wonderful car. Drive safe. Ed

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
Enjoy your new car and stop thinking about the "S" thing. Who cares? I have a non-s and never feel I should have gotten an "s". Eventually, if you want more power, put on aftermarket headers, catback exhaust, tune the ECU, etc for more power.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If it really bothers you or the Hollywood types its very easy to buy an "S". Check Bumperplugs or a dozen other sites. Thats the cheapest fix. I've got a base Boxster and other than to say I've got the "Best" Boxster available at the time I don't feel I miss not having the "S" from a performance standpoint at all. I've owned sports cars since my first new car in 1973 (a TR6) and this is all the performance car I need. I understand in addition to the performance you also get at no additional charge a stiffer more jarring suspension (not something I need at 58). Even had I gotten the "S" at the time I'd now be looking up at a Boxster Spyder on the "Ego" ladder so it never ends. Enjoy what you have, it's a great car and the Porsche guys really don't care what you're driving. They're more concerned about their next ride.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In normal street driving, once your car is broken in, try running to red line in 1st and 2nd. Then check your speed. And... if a cop happens to notice, see what the ticket is written for.

Fast enough? Power enough? Good enough? Yeah, I thought so. Certainly is.

Other than Hp/torque, front brake rotor diameter (your model year, I don't believe any difference from the S), possibly anti roll bar diameter, instrument dial color and starting cost, your Cayman is every bit the handling Porsche the S is. Enjoy your choice for a long time.:cheers:

·
Registered
173 Posts
It seems like the majority of the time it is the quality of the driver that matters most, not the car itself.

Good luck with the new car!

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only people who care whether you got an "S' or not are those that don't have a Porsche.

Congratulations and welcome. :cheers:

Have a great time in your new car. How about that intake howl right behind your ear? Is that great or what?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
God I love everything about it, especially the howl. You are right about the only people caring as to the S v. Non-S model are those who drive Camrys. The little car rips and is gorgeous. Screw 'em.

Joe

·
Registered
235 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the site! Your apparent enthusiasm for your new Cayman is what matters most and it's what the rest of us on this site have for our cars. S or not doesn't matter, just how we feel about our P-car of choice.
Just keep driving! :dance:
BW

1 - 20 of 32 Posts