Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
After owning Vettes for years took the leap into the Porsche world.
Wow what a car, blows my Vette away. I guess what did it for me was the article in Car and Driver where the Cayman S won. The interior is leagues above the Vette, there are some missing things though in the CS. I do miss the torque down low in the vette. Need to keep the CS below 4k for the first 1500 miles is what I've read so maybe after 4k it comes alive.

Also do miss some of the options, like I got the upgraded Bose Stereo but got the $95 audio interface, what a joke. No IPOD/USB connection, do I really need to buy a $3k PCM option to get that wow.

Do love the seats in the CS and the short thows in the shifter.

Did buy the car from Herb Chambers in Boston, thought they were excellent to deal with. Good price and good service...so far.

Now for the performance upgrades....

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Hi Guys,
After owning Vettes for years took the leap into the Porsche world.
Wow what a car, blows my Vette away. I guess what did it for me was the article in Car and Driver where the Cayman S won. The interior is leagues above the Vette, there are some missing things though in the CS. I do miss the torque down low in the vette. Need to keep the CS below 4k for the first 1500 miles is what I've read so maybe after 4k it comes alive.

Also do miss some of the options, like I got the upgraded Bose Stereo but got the $95 audio interface, what a joke. No IPOD/USB connection, do I really need to buy a $3k PCM option to get that wow.

Do love the seats in the CS and the short thows in the shifter.

Did buy the car from Herb Chambers in Boston, thought they were excellent to deal with. Good price and good service...so far.

Now for the performance upgrades....
Congratulations and welcome. The break in period is 2000 miles not 1500 and in order tp keep your warranty in tack, you do want to follow the break in period. Enjoy your new toy, you will really enjoy after the break in period.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
She does change her attitude at around 4000rpm. I liken it to driving my daughter's Nissan Sentra under 3500, and then getting wicked after that (I have a 2006 CS). Actually, she's a bit faster than a Sentra under 3500, but you get the idea:). The right performance upgrades will turn her into a supercar. Enjoy!

·
Registered
232 Posts
very nice, you need to post pics! did you get a 6-sp or PDK? i love the LED taillights on Gen2's. the poster above is spot on, above 4k rpm, the car really begins to haul. i feel like it has VTEC.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lets see some pics of the new ride. Congrats by the way. :cheers:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I will be interested to hear what you think of the CS after your engine break in period in comparison to the Corvette.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 6 speed, always enjoyed shifting with a stick shift not a paddle. Looks like paddles are only on the sport steering wheel PDK, on the standard wheel it seems more like buttons.
Although I see th PDK is faster in 0-60 times.

I was amazed at how many options you can put on this car. I was also shocked to see no LSD on a $68k sports car, that was an option. Also never had a car where I can't see the engine by opening up a lid. I was used to seeing the motor, I guess changing plugs will be a challenge to say the least. At least it looks like I can change the oil. Lots of new things here, but I love the car. Also filling the gas tank from the right front took some getting used to as well.

Yeah I'll get some pix of it up soon, I'm in Toronto for businees for a week and only had the car for 3 days before I had to leave....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congrats. The car really comes alive when the engine is in the 4k+ range, but yes you should follow the manufacturers recommendation during the break in period.

Still your new car will never have the raw HP of the Vette, but I think you'll enjoy its many good drive qualities. At street safe speeds, it's those qualities that matter most to me. Steering feel, handling, feedback about what the tires are doing, braking, and more are just "wow, this is the way its suppose to be!"

It doesn't hurt either that the car is gorgeous outside, and that the interior is not bad looking (though there are a few things I'd change in my 2007, but all in all the interior is well done).

My only real gripe with my car is the terrible sounding Bose system that is boomy, lacking in mid-range sweetness/liveliness, and not even an AUX jack. It's silly in a car of this price. Once the warranty has expired I'll probably end up replacing the entire head unit and amp. In the mean time it remains a good excuse to turn the stereo off and listen to the sound of the engine behind my head ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Congrats on the new car. What year was your Chevy? I switched over from the Vette too. IMHO any year CS is better in just about every area to the C5...even the Zo6 from that batch feels old compared to the P car.

The C6....the later version(ls3) is not a slam dunk by no means. It's a fine ride. If I had the space in the garage ...I could see a new vette beside the CS. Heck, I cross-shopped the CTSV Caddy with a M3 (e92) and bought the CS. It just spoke to me. Plus I just did not need a back seat.

Enoy the Porsche.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had (have) a 1996 vette LT4, have the Corsa exhaust, 6 speed. Great low end grunt, just hard to beat. Had it since new, was my Sunday driver, only 44k easy miles. vette had roomy interior, only advantage. the CS beats it hands down on the insides. Another weird thing about the CS when you open the window it doesn't seem to blow the wind in your face that much, like the vette, my wife noticed that. the Vette could just kick arse right off the light, the CS seems to need to wind up a bit, before the boom. And the throws are much shorter and quicker in the CS.

One odd thing I do notice, it takes me a while to find reverese, I know where it is it just doesn't slide into reverse that easy. The manual says it takes some breakin time for the shifter to "loosen" up.

One thing I do really like is the Bi-xeon lights they way they look around the corner for you then straighten out, of course for $1500 I expect something. Cool feature though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts