Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 Boxster with M.T. and keep hearing that I should get the PDK as better resale and how everyone loves it. Any info would be greatly appreciated- Confused Lady.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 Boxster with M.T. and keep hearing that I should get the PDK as better resale and how everyone loves it. Any info would be greatly appreciated- Confused Lady.
I love the PDK but if my wife had not specified that as a requirement, I would have probably gone for the 6-speed. PDK is a $3000+ cost differential and I don't think over the long term that differential will hold relative to resale. Especially if manuals become prized due to their rarity. I'd suggest driving both. On any Porsche, PDK is noticeably faster than the manual and just a brilliant box (probably the best dual-clutch tranny ever) but I keep hearing / reading how sweet the 6-speed drives.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have had and driven both extensively. Cayman 08 CS 6MT, Cayman R 6MT, 2014 Cayman 2.7L PDK, 2016 Cayman 2.7L PDK. For me, it comes down to how you use the car. If you are using it as a DD and in traffic to any degree at all.............love not rowing the gears and getting Popeye leg from shifting. If your use is primarily pleasure, 6MT might be a bit more enjoyable though I have to say that even when joy riding these days I find manually shifting the PDK more than satisfying. My 100 mils (aka 2 cents).

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Love my PDK, others prefer the stick. If you go PDK, also get Sport Chrono and I suggest Adaptive Cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agonized over this as well and ended up going with the manual because I love the driving involvement having to operate the clutch gives me. Makes me feel like I'm more connected to the car.

On the other hand.. the PDK is great as well and offers the fastest possible 0-60 mph times, the ability to run in fully auto mode (great for traffic for example) and also to manually shift (paddle shifters, but no operating the clutch) when you want. Most cars on dealer lots are also PDK so you have a much better chance of finding one that meets your needs in stock. Ordering does take about 4 months.

In the end I decided not to worry about resale because it's a dream car for me and I'd rather have what I really really want at this point in my life :)

Bottom line: drive both, get what you really want...

·
Registered
340 Posts
In the long run probably the opposite is true. I doubt PDK will return any of the $3200 extra paid up front on resale unless you are buying extra options like the sport chrono with launch control. While the PDK is a great transmission, people are generally less concerned with transmissions issues when buying a manual versus a automatic. Also, among 718's manual's will make up less then 20% of sales, so yours may be more sought after on the used market. Either way, choose what is most enjoyable for you personally, a couple grand either way on resale shouldn't be a big concern.

Reactions: spaceman

·
Registered
297 Posts
Get a M.T. if you truly like the engaging feel of driving a sports car. I had a Corvette with an automatic trans and paddle shifters and it spoiled the experience for me. But as has been said, drive both and get the one you want. Small thought - I would not get a M.T. if you will be using the car as a daily driver to and from work in constant traffic though, since CT has a lot of that unless you are rural (headed up there for a wedding this weekend and dreading the summer weekend traffic but I will be driving my other car which has an A.T.).

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You start by saying that you are buying a Boxster with a MT, my advice is if that is what you decided you want why second guess the decision now? You are buying this car for you not the next person, get what you want and enjoy it!

As for resale, I have read on more than one occasion now where people are looking for a MT and can't find one to buy, perhaps because of this your MT car will actually be 'more' desirable?

Personally I find the driving experience in a sports car to be more involving with a manual transmission, even the GT Boss, Andrea Preuninger feels this way; "with the MT...a fun car, a drivers car."

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
In the long run probably the opposite is true. I doubt PDK will return any of the $3200 extra paid up front on resale unless you are buying extra options like the sport chrono with launch control. While the PDK is a great transmission, people are generally less concerned with transmissions issues when buying a manual versus a automatic. Also, among 718's manual's will make up less then 20% of sales, so yours may be more sought after on the used market. Either way, choose what is most enjoyable for you personally, a couple grand either way on resale shouldn't be a big concern.
Sorry, but not true. Go to any used car pricing site and input two identical cars: one with and the other without PDK. I guarantee you that the price won't be the same, and BTW I am and always have been a MT advocate.

As far as whether PDK or MT is the better choice, there's no right or wrong answer. If you don't have any experience with PDK, just take a test drive with a car that has one. Just make certain that it's a long drive. In my case I got a car with PDK as a loaner during a service visit, and I loved PDK initially but it got boring to me after about 30 minutes of driving. Bottom line is that I believe they are both great transmissions.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I wanted a manual, wound up with a PDK as it was the only car available that met my needs. The PDK is wonderful, especially in traffic as mentioned by others. Many of us use it in "manual" mode most of the time.

Bottom line - as great as the PDK is, my initial preference of the 6M was the correct one for me. I would like to use my left foot.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I wanted a manual, wound up with a PDK as it was the only car available that met my needs. The PDK is wonderful, especially in traffic as mentioned by others. Many of us use it in "manual" mode most of the time.

Bottom line - as great as the PDK is, my initial preference of the 6M was the correct one for me. I would like to use my left foot.
So just stomp on the dead pedal when you pull the paddles, and pretend you're uncoupling the driveline. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I made the mistake of getting DCTs on my last two sports cars and eventually regretted it and sold them. I searched hi and lo for a used MT Boxster with the specs I wanted and couldn't, so I custom ordered one with a MT. It's my DD sometimes in traffic...I love every shift! PDK is great, but unless you have that third pedal, it's an automatic in my book!

Bottom line, get what you want, not what's faster 0-60, easier in traffic, or better for resale. As previous post mentioned, buy what you want, not what the next buyer wants!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Love my PDK, others prefer the stick. If you go PDK, also get Sport Chrono and I suggest Adaptive Cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
On a related note, it really surprises me how unpopular the Porsche Active Safety/Adaptive Cruise Control is on 981s. I realize it’s a sports car and there are those who will say that option has no place on a sports car. But I consider it a safety device and in the same way just as useful for safety as the locking differential Sports Chrono provides.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
On a related note, it really surprises me how unpopular the Porsche Active Safety/Adaptive Cruise Control is on 981s. I realize it’s a sports car and there are those who will say that option has no place on a sports car. But I consider it a safety device and in the same way just as useful for safety as the locking differential Sports Chrono provides.

Huh? I believe that the locking differential Comes with PTV, not Sport Chrono.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Huh? I believe that the locking differential Comes with PTV, not Sport Chrono.
You’re right. I got that mixed up. The point I was trying to make was that I would actually consider Porsche torque vectoring just to get the safety of the locking differential on slippery roads. By the same token, I consider Porsche active safety to be worthwhile.

Thanks for catching that. I knew better I just said the wrong thing

·
Registered
268 Posts
My own cars have been manuals for almost 50 years, work cars have been autos. I bought the PDK and enjoy it. With straight manual (stick or paddles) and auto (over-ride with paddles) multiplied by Sport Mode, there a lot of options with it.

Try both, buy what's best for you and your driving.

Greg

·
Registered
229 Posts

Our region has restricted cars with Porsche Active safety from NOT being allowed at driver education events. this option on the track at the end of a straight could cause havoc !!!

i have had MT over the years but love my PDK, I drive in manual all of the time with Sport on ....lots of fun

·
Registered
322 Posts
I assume you're hearing that from your sales advisor and/or your lady friends. :gossip:

Get the transmission you wanted initially, or you'll be sorry later. Resale be damned. :drivingskid:

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Worrying about resale - is the stupidest idea, IMO. In that case you should just get Camry. That's where the best resale is.

I'd say if you are MT guy and traffic allows - Get MT. You should try driving PDK, and not for an hour, but for a week. Personally I got tired with it on a loaner in about a day. You know and car knows that car with PDK can shift better without your input. So why get in the way? Just doesn't make sense to me. Feels very artificial and kinda stupid clicking those paddles.

Rowing gears on my 981S is one of the highlights of owning a true sports car! I enjoy it immensely.

Reactions: Petey G
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.