Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Recently my '06 Boxster has been making more noise when opening/closing the top. The sound seems to be distinctly a clicking sound and is more noticeably when the top is near-fully retracted in both directions. The top seems to open slightly slower than before. Any idea what it could be and any preventive maintenance I should do to avoid having problems with the top?

Here's 2 videos showing what I'm saying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXD-lwVFEig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xlTYU8bCsc

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: The transmission's plastic gear were cracked (left one more than the right one). Replaced them and cleaned the transmissions and it now works like a charm.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Update: The transmission's plastic gear were cracked (left one more than the right one). Replaced them and cleaned the transmissions and it now works like a charm.
I'm glad you found the cause and corrected it. Would you have any pictures or diagrams you could share to better explain the repair?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's not trivial though. I'll upload some of the personal photos I took later, but here's how to get started:

Start with steps on figure 4 through figure 6 here Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article to remove the transmissions.

Then essentially follow the directions here Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Transmission Gear Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article to replace the gears. I cleaned my transmissions with isopropyl alcohol and an old toothbrush instead of the brake cleaner and wipe mentioned there (though cleanup is not strictly necessary, it's recommended and since you've already done all the work of opening these up you might as well do it).

What you'll need:
- Tools (having the drill mentioned in the articles helps a lot).
- New gears (see Transmission for Convertible Top 987561180GEAR - Odometer Gears - 987-561-180-GEAR | Pelican Parts and Transmission for Convertible Top 987561179GEAR - Odometer Gears - 987-561-179-GEAR | Pelican Parts you'll need one for each side and they're different).
- Grease.
- Cleanup material.

Took me a bit over 6 hours because I made a couple mistakes such as forgetting to put back some plastic covers and locking pins when putting it back together so I had to backtrack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.