Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that the Cayman GT4 is officially out and all of that engineering could surely be added to the Boxster...

When and what will we see next for the top-down version of the 981?

Some outlets have already said there will be a Boxster GT4, my SA thinks it will be a Spyder, what do you folks think?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Porsche won't let any of their cash cows languish. There will be a compelling Boxster model. Guaranteed. Don't know how it will manifest, but I know it will, and it will be awesome and worth the wait for the patient.

·
Noob
843 Posts
If they are intending the car to be a track car, which it seems it is, then highly unlikely there will be a boxster/convertible "GT4" model. Just like there is none for GT3. As for an RS, perhaps, but not anytime soon. I foresee a PDK GT4 for sure before that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Unfortunately for us roadster fans, various press sources predict that the Club Sport will not be built by Porsche's Motorsport division, and it doesn't look like it'll get the 3.8L engine. It looks to be more along the lines of a Spyder or Cayman R, not a GT4.

We'll have to wait and see ... Or we could speculate wildly and try to get this thread to be longer than the GT4 thread before the Club Sport is announced!
:gossip:

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Unfortunately for us roadster fans, various press sources predict that the Club Sport will not be built by Porsche's Motorsport division, and it doesn't look like it'll get the 3.8L engine. It looks to be more along the lines of a Spyder or Cayman R, not a GT4.
Don't worry about it. Latest rumor (seriously) is the 981.2S, new turbos w/PDK will be straight line faster than the GT4. Think MY17. Wait until May when the 991.2 cars come out and look at their numbers. Then extrapolate for the 981 cars the next year. Then the GT4 buyers will be crying about how the Boxster owners got a faster car for the street (not the track) for $10K less.

·
Noob
843 Posts
I think (just my own guess) they are gonna end up with something like

718 S
718 Cab
718 S Cab
718 GT4
718 GT4 RS

assuming they use that naming...

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they are intending the car to be a track car, which it seems it is, then highly unlikely there will be a boxster/convertible "GT4" model. Just like there is none for GT3. As for an RS, perhaps, but not anytime soon. I foresee a PDK GT4 for sure before that.
I don't think they would be intending the Boxster version as a track car (if that is what you mean) as they already have the Cayman version for that.

I am thinking a 3.8 litre performance version for the street, with some of those visual queues that we have seen in the 'spy' photo's, I think FTW981 is right, when there is money to be had Porsche will surely avail them selves of our weakness!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I don't think they would be intending the Boxster version as a track car (if that is what you mean) as they already have the Cayman version for that.
Isn't that exactly what the Spyder was intended for?

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why the Boxster version would never be named 'GT4'.
I don't care what they call it, as long as it has a 3.8 litre engine, nearly 400HP and a real top...

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think they would be intending the Boxster version as a track car (if that is what you mean) as they already have the Cayman version for that.QUOTE]

Isn't that exactly what the Spyder was intended for?
I never saw it written or heard that the Boxster Spyder was intended as a 'track car', but I am open to being shown proof that Porsche considered it so.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I heard a rumor about a Spyder. I don't really need a 3.8 in a convertible, a 3.4 with 350HP would be more than adequate. Yes I know 3.4 with 350HP, same as the 911, doesn't have much room for extra tuning unless you add a blower, but Spyder supposed to be light and my guess 3.4 is lighter than 3.8.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I never saw it written or heard that the Boxster Spyder was intended as a 'track car', but I am open to being shown proof that Porsche considered it so.
It had straps for door handles, extensive weight savings, a very stiff suspension, and a tent for a roof.

Just because it's not intended for competition, doesn't mean it's not meant for the track. :)

Reactions: c-rizzle

·
Registered
781 Posts
Boxster GT4 or RS... what/when?

If it mattered what we think then I vote RS because...turn down for what...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
i love the boxster, but as it was mentioned if u want a GT car the likelihood of having it in a convertible format is low, the GT is not just more HP it is more precision via suspension, steering, and brakes tweaks that eventually makes the additional HP more usable.

the boxster will be getting more powerful eventually, so it goes back to what type of car you are looking for.

my next porsche, when the time comes, will be a new GT4 at its launch on the next platform.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
lets build a totally obscene car

i want a

cayman/boxster GT4 RS with a PDK! 3.8 liter X51 package.. with a 4.0 option if need be..

is that the dream ride from porsche.. Porsche are you listening?

lemon

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I heard a rumor about a Spyder. I don't really need a 3.8 in a convertible, a 3.4 with 350HP would be more than adequate. Yes I know 3.4 with 350HP, same as the 911, doesn't have much room for extra tuning unless you add a blower, but Spyder supposed to be light and my guess 3.4 is lighter than 3.8.
Interesting that you mention not needing a 3.8 then talking about "not much room for extra tuning..." 400cc doesn't sound like much but it makes additional power easier to get.

I doubt there is much difference in weight between the 3.4 and 3.8, I would take the more capable engine when spending this kind of money!

My thinking is this: my 981-S is 315HP + 11HP (lets give the exhaust the nod for now) = 326HP I really can't see selling my car or trading it in and throwing say $30-40K in to get 24HP and a few trim bits! :crazy:

I would be better off from the HP perspective to follow Sportwagen and call BGB.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Interesting that you mention not needing a 3.8 then talking about "not much room for extra tuning..." 400cc doesn't sound like much but it makes additional power easier to get.

I doubt there is much difference in weight between the 3.4 and 3.8, I would take the more capable engine when spending this kind of money!

My thinking is this: my 981-S is 315HP + 11HP (lets give the exhaust the nod for now) = 326HP I really can't see selling my car or trading it in and throwing say $30-40K in to get 24HP and a few trim bits! :crazy:

I would be better off from the HP perspective to follow Sportwagen and call BGB.
Porsche has an intense hatred for guys who use reason when making their purchases. Buying a Porsche is supposed to be a 100% emotional decision. :)

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Porsche has an intense hatred for guys who use reason when making their purchases. Buying a Porsche is supposed to be a 100% emotional decision. :)
Well, I have made a lot of car buying decisions based more on emotion then reason, but now after a decent amount of seat time in a Porsche I figured it was time to make the decision based on what the new car needed to really make me notice the differnce...

Styling has something to do with, the name nothing at all, the interior certainly catches my eye as I drive, but what I really notice is how I feel when I push it a bit, you know in the corner and accelerating down the back straight or on ramp, getting pushed back into the seat, the sound of the engine!

So increased power is at the top of the list, not just a few ponies but a large icrease like 20% or more, any less is only a tease. Even though the handling is outstanding, anything else they can do to increase the balance and feel will always be appreciated.

I guess we will have to see what they offer the Boxster crowd and if it enough to make some of us trade up a little sooner?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts