Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning my car for a little over a month and a half and 1,500 miles, I thought I’d post my impressions of the car and some options. I’ve posted some of these in other threads but thought it might be helpful to pull them all together in one place and it might help some others with some choices.

I optioned my car out heavily as I’m hoping I can resist buying anything else for 10 years. I made it 14 with my previous sports car which was getting long-in-the-tooth technology-wise. Keep in mind that my philosophy with this car is that I didn’t want to get a couple years down the road and lament that I didn’t get X or Y. To me, spending a few extra thousand on some things I may not “need” may actually work in my favor as I won’t be tempted to buy another car sooner. Only time will tell if my strategy works out.

Exhaust Noise: Most the videos I heard of the exhaust were from the outside. Frankly, I don’t like the pops and crackles in the videos I heard online, which were mostly taken from the outside and behind the car - neither of which applies when actually driving it. This was the only thing I was apprehensive about ahead of taking delivery of the car and I’m happy to report that (to me) they sound nothing like on the video. You can hear them, but they seem to be much lower frequency and are muted by the engine sounds. I’m kind of ambivalent towards the pops and crackles now.

The exhaust under wide open throttle is amazing and better with the top down than up. To demo the car properly for friends and family, one needs to at least roll the windows down if it’s too cold to put the top down.

I do sense a low-frequency exhaust drone at 2k rpm in 7th gear with light throttle. This is the only thing I would say that I don’t like about the car. I still plan to take it on long road trips, but I was hoping that this would be an ultra-comfortable tourer on the highway and then a sports car when I wanted it.

Paint: I have the Carrara White Metallic. Chose it sight unseen. I’d have to agree with what others told me, it has just the tiniest amount of metallic in there - it’s hardly noticeable at all. I like the color, but still wonder if I should have done dark blue metallic… but not enough to make me want to swap the car out.

Every time I take it out, even if only an hour, it comes back dirty. I seem to get a lot of accumulation of black dust on the back of the car from the spoiler down - basically the bumper. Perhaps it’s the aerodynamics of the car that pull the dust back there or the plastic bumper could have a slight electrical charge allowing the dirt to stick? I’ve also noticed dust / dirt on the fenders and doors. I’m guessing it’s brake pad and / or tire remnants.

White gauges: While I like the idea of the white gauges, I don’t like that all the indicator lights are black so you can see all of them. It makes the face of the gauges quite busy. At night, they end up blending in. I’d probably look at going with a black gauge or something that blended better if I had to do it again.

Burmester: I am not an audiophile by any means, but probably just on the front side of the bell curve for people who buy audio equipment. I knew I was going to buy at least PCM with Bose so I viewed the Burmester as a $2,740 option, not a $6,730 option. I had to get an audio DVD (Rush’s “Moving Pictures” for anyone curious) to show off the system and it sounds great sitting still. As you can imagine, when moving, particularly at highway speeds, the engine and road noise are tough to overcome. I still don’t regret getting the system because this way, at least I won’t have to wonder “what if…” I’m sure some more rational people will make a different decision.

PTV: I have no idea if this is doing it’s thing. I think you’d have to push the car really hard to find out. I was in some awesome mountain switchbacks in West Virginia this week and trying to see if I could detect PTV doing it’s thing and I could not so it’s either too subtle or I am too chicken to push it hard enough (though my bet is on the latter). This was about the last option I threw on the car and did it because it was, at that point, relatively cheap and I didn’t want to have a “I wish I had added it” moments down the road. Maybe someday, at the track, I’ll be able to figure out if it was worth it.

PDK: I remember exactly what made me want a sequential shift gearbox and it was when I was growing up, I saw a video of a rally car with it and fell in love with the concept.

This transmission is everything I was hoping it would be. Wide open throttle, transmission changes are so amazingly quick and produce the coolest sound (Sports / Sports+) when shifting. I’ve probably spent 90% of my non-highway miles in manual mode and use both the paddles and the shift lever equally to change gears.

The only thing I miss about a manual is the ability to skip gears - for instance, tooling along on the highway in 6th gear and being able to shift directly into 3rd for a quick passing maneuver. But all in all, I still prefer the PDK.

Power Steering Plus: I think this must be the most maligned Porsche option listening to folks here on P-9. I don’t get what everyone has against it. It’s a relatively low-cost option and I honestly can’t see how it impacts the steering at speed. I’d get it again without a second thought.

Park Assist with Camera: I’d definitely get this again. I use it all the time when pulling into my garage. A lot of folks here say it does not detect curbs, but I’ve found that it does a pretty good job. Now, with that said, the curbs I’ve been parking at may be taller than others so I’d still take it cautiously when pulling into a spot.

The only thing I hate about the sensors is that it’ll eventually be a mandatory safety item and I hated paying a premium for this when it’ll be on every car in the future. Perhaps the base price of the car will go up a bit at that point, but I doubt it’ll be $1,500.

Brushed Aluminum Interior: I’m very glad I got this and it should be standard on a car with a price north of $50k. I had a Cayman loaner a few weeks ago which had the standard plastic trim and it was awful in comparison, IMO.

Problems: Coolant System Fault warning message at around 700 miles. Came on while driving down the road at normal speeds. Temperature gauge did not move from where it was. Turned out to be a vacuum line which had become disconnected from the exhaust.

Brakes squeak from time to time.

Once, after doing a minor acceleration through an unoccupied section of parking lot, I ended up with some type of metallic grinding noise. I parked the car for lunch and the sound was not there when I came back so not really able to have it diagnosed. It could have been a rock or something that got caught somewhere it should not have been.

Auto-start / Stop: I usually leave this off, but started to use it some on a road trip I took this week. It’s very odd to get used to but it does seem to work as expected. I did run into one place where it did not do its thing and I believe I was on a slight downward-facing hill.

The coasting feature is interesting and I got to try it out in the hills of West Virginia. It does not work if cruise control is operating. It typically seems to work as expected though at one point I had to accelerate to maintain speed, even when coming down what I thought was a significant hill. I guess there’s more drag on this car than I expected. I didn't have this issue on other hills.

Cruise Control: I’m a bit frustrated with the control because there are 5 operations you can do with the stalk (on/off, increase, decrease, cancel, resume) and it’s not the easiest to remember which one is cancel, particularly if you’re coming up behind something quickly and have another vehicle in the other lane. A couple times I’ve had to tap the brake or use the on/off button to disable cruise control because I could not figure out where the cancel / coast setting was. Some may see this as a nit, but I’m just being honest that it’s disconcerting to me.

Wish List: A couple of technology items that I would have liked to see on this car were a heads up display and blind-spot warnings.

A more reasonable break-in period.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Nice review Dave. I like having someone review their options as to whether they would do it again and why or why not as it helps me plan on what I want to do when I replace my 2013 BS.

I feel the same way about 1) my power steering plus and 2) PDK (and all of my sports cars to this point had been manual). Your comments on white gauges was interesting and would have me thinking seriously before I added that option - to me practicality trumps looks every time. I think you will eventually get used to the cancel on the cruise control, but I do wish that all the manufacturers did it the same way. Finally, I really agree with your wish for blind spot mirrors. They are on my wife's car and my sedan and after experiencing them on those cars this limited rear view Boxster really could use them! Had heads up display on two of my wife's 350s and while it was ok the current one does not and neither of us misses it.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The good news is that the things you dislike are just preference items. Some comments:

I think the PSE is awesome. if you do not like the crackles, just drive in normal mode most of the time. If you are hammering it in sport or sport+ mode, I love it. But for me, I would even go louder if I went aftermarket.
Agreed on the PDK, can't say enough good things about it.
PTV will be there when you need it.
i also have the Burmester. I overcome highway noise with the volume knob!
Auto on/off, I wish I could throw it throw it out the window. And I hate the red light on the switch that reminds me of it all the time.

my negatives are all nitpicky things that in no way take away from the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GreaT review. I too have power steering plus and recall not noticing it when test driving a few cars back to back. With respect to PDK, it is possible to "skip gears" by using the stick or paddles multiple times quickly ...

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up Dave.

Some comments:

I do sense a low-frequency exhaust drone at 2k rpm in 7th gear with light throttle. This is the only thing I would say that I don’t like about the car. I still plan to take it on long road trips, but I was hoping that this would be an ultra-comfortable tourer on the highway and then a sports car when I wanted it.

Either you get used to or the drone becomes less pronounced after a while. I now rarely notice it. And often, if you would be driving 2k rpm in 7th, I now use the coasting with intermediate accelerations. Seems to save gas and has less drone. Or shift manually into 6th.

Every time I take it out, even if only an hour, it comes back dirty. I seem to get a lot of accumulation of black dust on the back of the car from the spoiler down - basically the bumper. Perhaps it’s the aerodynamics of the car that pull the dust back there or the plastic bumper could have a slight electrical charge allowing the dirt to stick? I’ve also noticed dust / dirt on the fenders and doors. I’m guessing it’s brake pad and / or tire remnants.

The black dust is from the exhaust. And yes, I notice that too... Since I am not really into cleaning my car every time I drive, mine often looks quite dirty :).

White gauges: While I like the idea of the white gauges, I don’t like that all the indicator lights are black so you can see all of them. It makes the face of the gauges quite busy. At night, they end up blending in. I’d probably look at going with a black gauge or something that blended better if I had to do it again.

Interesting, I am still considering changing mine to yellow (was not available when I ordered my car). Will have to see it first now.

PTV: I have no idea if this is doing it’s thing. I think you’d have to push the car really hard to find out. I was in some awesome mountain switchbacks in West Virginia this week and trying to see if I could detect PTV doing it’s thing and I could not so it’s either too subtle or I am too chicken to push it hard enough (though my bet is on the latter). This was about the last option I threw on the car and did it because it was, at that point, relatively cheap and I didn’t want to have a “I wish I had added it” moments down the road. Maybe someday, at the track, I’ll be able to figure out if it was worth it.

The way I mostly notice is in two ways: a feeling in a tight turn as if someone just pointed the car into the right direction and that it is almost impossible to have the car understeer (I still managed with some bad lines during AutoX).

The only thing I miss about a manual is the ability to skip gears - for instance, tooling along on the highway in 6th gear and being able to shift directly into 3rd for a quick passing maneuver. But all in all, I still prefer the PDK.
You can use the kick down switch for that. It will get you into the powerband with almost 0 delay.

Get review. I too have power steering plus and recall not noticing it when test driving a few cars back to back. With respect to PDK, it is possible to "skip gears" by using the stick or paddles multiple times quickly ...
If you don't notice it, why spend the money? ;)

Reactions: BJR and FlyerHiker

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The only thing I miss about a manual is the ability to skip gears - for instance, tooling along on the highway in 6th gear and being able to shift directly into 3rd for a quick passing maneuver.
Try quickly flooring and releasing the gas pedal, and watch what happens.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you still have squeaky brakes, try bedding them. Just search online for instructions.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you don't notice it, why spend the money? ;)
I didn't, power steering plus was on the car I purchased off the lot ... based on it only having a couple of test drives a full year after being built, I got it along with a few other options free of charge :taunt:

·
Registered
307 Posts
*snip* Once, after doing a minor acceleration through an unoccupied section of parking lot, I ended up with some type of metallic grinding noise. I parked the car for lunch and the sound was not there when I came back so not really able to have it diagnosed. It could have been a rock or something that got caught somewhere it should not have been. *snip*
Hate to comment on only a single part of your very detailed review, but I too experienced something similar. But, I wasn't really accelerating, rather just heading slowly down a street to park on the curb. I thought I snagged some metal object in the road and was dragging it along, even though I didn't see anything. Worse, I thought maybe something was hanging off the undercarriage, as the road was rather bumpy and maybe something came unfitted. But, I put it in reverse, backed up, saw nothing in the road, and heard no more scrapping. Was worried about it the whole time we were at that house for x-mas, lol. Nothing was wrong when I came back out, though....

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Same thing happened to me in my new GTS yesterday, Day 2 of ownership, 300 miles. Sounded like I was dragging some metal while driving slowly toward a parking space. Decided not to freak out because I remembered reading about something like this on Planet-9, must have been this review (thanks!). (I admit I have since shined a shop light under car to be sure everything okay and verify no plastic shipping rings still in the front springs... ) Hasn't happened again, yet.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought I snagged some metal object in the road and was dragging it along, even though I didn't see anything.
Sounded like I was dragging some metal while driving slowly toward a parking space.
Interesting. I wonder if we have some pervasive issue here. I mentioned in my review that it was a grinding issue, but I probably used a bad choice of words and instead would describe it more as you all have, as a dragging sound.

At the time, I was taking a co-worker to lunch and had been extolling the virtues of Porsche (he's a BMW guy), especially the quality & reliability. I sat there all through lunch wondering if it was going to be making this sound until I got it to the dealer. My co-worker could sense my anxiety about the whole thing and even mentioned "that's what warranties are for".

My mention of an acceleration just prior to the noise could be a red herring.

I had nosed into the parking spot so I had to back out after lunch. I wonder if using reverse is what clears up the noise...

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Do you had any pebbles on the road? I have picked up some pebbles a few times with the brakes and it takes a bit until it falls out again...

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yes, that is a good idea. I drove along a drive with lots of coarse sand/gravel just before I heard this. Noise could also be described as brief metallic scraping/rattle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts