Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected new Boxster GTS Tuesday , PDK faulted on way home then again twice on first drive . Each time while driving in manual the paddles and selector stopped working and system locked into auto without any indication . Shortly after the third time engine control warning came on dash . Has been at dealer since Thursday but they are struggling to come to an explanation . Has anyone had similar problem ?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Not normal and sounds like something is wrong. Weird this wasn't caught in QA before they sent you the car. If there was a dash light, codes were logged and dealer should be able to provide answer.

Side note, dual clutch and pedal shifters give you freedom to do crazy things and its up to the owner not to blow it up. Its quick and hardy, but will not withstand idiocy (not saying you did anything wrong).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had these problems after what was probably a long wait for your new car. I've got the PDK 'box in my Cayman GTS and it's been faultless so far during the 800 or so miles I've done.

PDK problems seem rare, so it looks like you've been very unlucky. I hope the dealer can resolve this quickly and that they've lent you something interesting to run around in until it's fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dash light only after third time it faulted , it pointed to failer of variable valve timing dealer suspected possible swarf in oil way they have inspected but found nothing ?

Given basic Boxster as loan car not impressed as I traded Boxster S Sport Design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear you've had these problems after what was probably a long wait for your new car. I've got the PDK 'box in my Cayman GTS and it's been faultless so far during the 800 or so miles I've done.

PDK problems seem rare, so it looks like you've been very unlucky. I hope the dealer can resolve this quickly and that they've lent you something interesting to run around in until it's fixed.
OPC have taken the car back and ordered a replacement for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
"Side note, dual clutch and pedal shifters give you freedom to do crazy things and its up to the owner not to blow it up. Its quick and hardy, but will not withstand idiocy (not saying you did anything wrong)."

This has me a little concerned. What shouldn't we do with a PDK? How could we blow them up?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Side note, dual clutch and pedal shifters give you freedom to do crazy things and its up to the owner not to blow it up. Its quick and hardy, but will not withstand idiocy (not saying you did anything wrong).
I thought that if you didn't change gears timeously in manual mode, PDK will take over and shift.
How can you damage the PDK exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I thought that if you didn't change gears timeously in manual mode, PDK will take over and shift.
How can you damage the PDK exactly?

You can set pdk into 100% manual via shifter. It will still auto downshift and up shift to prevent stalling though.mDamage will be from wear and tear due to unnatural use

examples include lugging engine (7th gear up hill at low speed), redline for minutes at 1st/2nd gear and high speed, shifting quickly needlessly between random gears and doing random things with the gas pedal

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can set pdk into 100% manual via shifter. It will still auto downshift and up shift to prevent stalling though.mDamage will be from wear and tear due to unnatural use

examples include lugging engine (7th gear up hill at low speed), redline for minutes at 1st/2nd gear and high speed, shifting quickly needlessly between random gears and doing random things with the gas pedal
That goes for any car really. You have to be actually TRYING to drive it wrong or damage things. Normal driving, or even spirited driving won't do damage like you're describing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OPC have taken the car back and ordered a replacement for me.
Wow! Well they didn't mess around then - I suppose it must be a pretty serious problem.

Real shame you've got another long wait on your hands, but at least the winter will be over by the time it arrives.

·
Registered
141 Posts

You can lug the engine or take the engine to redline when the engine is cold with a manual gearbox too, nothing unique to PDK. There's nothing wrong with shifting frequently when the fluids are up to temperature. Not going to suddenly blow your engine.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I wouldn't let the experience sour you. Everyone, myself included, raves about the PDK. seems like you got an anomaly. No, it shouldn't happen, but I guess it did. And there is NO WAY that anything done was your fault, especially on your first drive. I would tell the dealer that you want free service at 2k and 10k as well. Sorry to hear this happened.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts

The engine will not lug. The PDK will downshift even in S+ manual setting (driving at 1100 RPM is not lugging in the true sense... the engine still has enough torque).

Also, I doubt that hitting the rev limiter when on S+ with manual setting will cause damage (that's why there is a rev limiter). Unless you are doing it for minutes.

And yes, if you use it, it will be wearing over time ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
As far as I'm aware, no one has ever "worn out" a PDK clutch or any other PDK component in normal street driving. It would be good to hear any anecdata to the contrary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't let the experience sour you. Everyone, myself included, raves about the PDK. seems like you got an anomaly. No, it shouldn't happen, but I guess it did. And there is NO WAY that anything done was your fault, especially on your first drive. I would tell the dealer that you want free service at 2k and 10k as well. Sorry to hear this happened.

OPC thought it may be caused by swarf in engine oil ? inspected internals and removed sump etc. I lost confidence in the car as it became clear that they would not find the fault so asked for a replacement .

·
Registered
349 Posts
OPC thought it may be caused by swarf in engine oil ? inspected internals and removed sump etc. I lost confidence in the car as it became clear that they would not find the fault so asked for a replacement .
I also wouldn't want to keep that car even if it's fixed. What else could go wrong down the road.

Btw..Will OPC be giving you a long term loaner whilst waiting for replacement ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts