Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Boxster and 2013 Cayenne with the nav system installed but I bought a Garmin GPS for each car because Porsche's system is worthless. You have to have the address with zip code to get to any destination. If you start to type the name of your destination and it finds a destination with the first two or three letters it shows that name and you cannot change it and continue to type the name of the destination you want to go to. Yesterday I entered an address while on a major highway and it told me to exit at the next exit and I drove 4 miles on city streets only to find the destination was one block off the highway I was on. Porsche has to have the worst nav system of any car available. Don't waste your money to put it on your car.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Note that there's an option in there to avoid highways and that once you set it, it stays set until you go in and remove it. I wonder if yours has that set and immediately took you off the highway...

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
My phone has the best Nav ever...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have SirusXM Sat-Nav and every time PCM NAV gets traffic messages from SirusXM, I get routed onto side streets and so far, every time has been worse than staying in traffic. This is regardless of street/highway settings.

Greg

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I have SirusXM Sat-Nav and every time PCM NAV gets traffic messages from SirusXM, I get routed onto side streets and so far, every time has been worse than staying in traffic. This is regardless of street/highway settings.
You must be able to turn that off as well!

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i have to echo the iphone has the best nav for sure.

my audi had a terrible nav system - not much better today.

BMW's is better - but not by much.

the porsche is decent but i'll never use it.

Lexus is my pick...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Same here! The Porsche nav is really worthless. Once it started yelling at me because I wasn't following it's direction, and then picked a different random destination instead. Seriously - the iPhone is SO much better!

·
Registered
294 Posts
My phone has the best Nav ever...
This.

It's impossible for OEMs to keep up with Nav Apps the way smartphones can.

If you think Porsche's Nav is bad now, just wait another year or two and it will seem like an absolute relic. Meanwhile, a typical $200 smart phone will have an exceptionally more sophisticated Nav app.

Reactions: Johneecatt

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
iPhone works great and for long distant trip Garmin GPS is the best.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The only time I've ever become well and truly "lost" in a car was using Porsche's nav system...like others, I now use my iPhone with directions funnelled through the PCM. I really wonder how Porsche manages to do some things SO badly.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I have mixed feelings about a GPS. There was a time when I always had a GPS running to show me the way. (I started using a GPS when you put the coordinates in and the GPS pointed in the direction that you were supposed to go. :confused: ) Now I don't use a GPS very much. My car does not have a built in GPS and my two motorcycles do not have GPSs. I have found it quite freeing to watch the road instead of a GPS. If I get lost - and sometimes I do - I pull out my iPhone. If I am going on a trip to a new place I have several Garmin GPSs if I absolute need them.

The built-in GPS on my wife's Mercedes ML is adequate and I do like the Sirus traffic routing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have a differing opinion. First lets get this out of the way, no GPS is flawless. iPhone is good but uses up my limited data. My Garmin is good but has gotten me lost, or would have caused grave injury if I had turned at a couple of places "she" told me to. My BS nav is just about as good a NAV system as any I have seen built into a car (but that is a very small number of cars).
While it can be kludgy at times to put in an address, in every case so far, it has not failed to get me there with accurate instructions. Will be taking a trip to CA in the spring and that will give me some better data. (But I will take the Garming with me just in case, :) )

·
Registered
503 Posts
Porsche has to have the worst nav system of any car available.
So you've tried every system out there? I don't find it to be significantly worse or better than other manufacturers I've used but I don't have wide ranging experience with different factory nav systems.

Don't waste your money to put it on your car.
It's a subjective matter and you can't assume that your preference and experience is universally applicable regardless of topic. Many don't find factory nav systems worthwhile but that doesn't mean that everyone does not. See also threads like:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...ng/99778-would-you-order-gps-new-porsche.html
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/72693-nav-worth.html

iPhone works great and for long distant trip Garmin GPS is the best.
Best is always highly subjective. Each needs to determine their criteria for best specific to their situation and preferences.

I've used only smartphone nav for roadtrips for years*. Sometimes keep paper maps as backup but have never had to use them. There are apps that use locally stored map data (without the hassle of manually precaching) and do not require data for routing like the most popular options (e.g Google Maps). A big part of the point of using a smartphone for me is convergence and a separate standalone navigation unit that duplicates the functionality of TomTom on my iPhone isn't going to be best for me. We've carried a DSLR and point-and-shoot on prior trips but ditched the DSLR for our recent trip and didn't even use the point-and-shoot, instead using only the cameras on our iPhones. Of course, YMMV depending on the locations you travel in and your own specific preferences.

*Ok -- not entirely true. I did use factory nav in a rental Z4 and Cayenne recently. While I wouldn't say that I would find either system my first pick I had no problems relying on either and used them exclusively despite having our smartphones, the Kenu Airframe and cables on hand just in case. Again, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The only time I've ever become well and truly "lost" in a car was using Porsche's nav system...like others, I now use my iPhone with directions funnelled through the PCM. I really wonder how Porsche manages to do some things SO badly.
They don't have much choice. They integrate components from a third-party manufacturer (Harman America, I believe) into their cars. We can't expect Harman to be competitive with dedicated mapping companies like Garmin or Google, considering that even Apple couldn't pull it off.

No other solution besides making the in-dash LCD a perfect mirror of my smartphone display is going to satisfy me. (And I mean perfect -- not curated, not abridged, not bowdlerized for my safety.) It's not a problem that can be solved by buying a car from somebody else. They're all selling broke-a$$ sh!t.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Remember to slam them on the survey. Nobody at Porsche reads this thread, safe to say.
Bad Navs are really industry wide standards... I've had them in many cars, and they are always feel like created by Aliens. Just yesterday my wife was trying to enter destination in her car, and it took her minutes... Because once you select city it shows you two, and then you select one - and it won't allow you to enter the street, and then you go back and retype everything, and if you type the street without "Rd" it won't understand it, and... I was so tempted to pull out my phone and just say the name of the place and it would be done in two seconds.

I too wait for the moment when they'll made a bluetooth-like protocol for complete video&audio&toch from the owners phone. Untill than - I'm going to use my phone instead of inferior product of unknown companies that make those Nav software for car manufacturers...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
They don't have much choice. They integrate components from a third-party manufacturer (Harman America, I believe) into their cars. We can't expect Harman to be competitive with dedicated mapping companies like Garmin or Google, considering that even Apple couldn't pull it off.

No other solution besides making the in-dash LCD a perfect mirror of my smartphone display is going to satisfy me. (And I mean perfect -- not curated, not abridged, not bowdlerized for my safety.) It's not a problem that can be solved by buying a car from somebody else. They're all selling broke-a$$ sh!t.
Harmon America? That's surprised me, because the Porsche navigation system has always seemed so German to me compared to my iPhone. It feels like I have to put everything in in exactly the right order and the right form, and then it's hard to make small changes. Of course they might be options to make it better, but when I turned on the give me three routes option, it just got too slow.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Maybe this is an American problem? Never had a problem with the operation of my Porsche SatNav as it has always got me where I want to go and without any fuss. My only issue with it, and it's a massive one, is why does it cost so much when my iPhone does as good a job and costs nothing (well apart from the cost of the phone)!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

Isn't there a really obvious solution here? I just bought a Jeep. It's got Garmin Navigation built in. I used it for the first time yesterday and had no issues with it.

Now... I'm not one of the folks complaining about the Porsche system... yet. I haven't used it much, but I know it's not yet set up the way I want to. I need to fiddle with it some more. At the very least, I think I can switch the display in the gauge cluster to 3D perspective instead of the overhead view I've got now. Then I think I'll like it more.

Really though... I don't have high expectations so I don't think I'll be too difficult to make happy. I've been using the same barebones TomTom unit for years now, so I'm perfectly ok without all the fancy features a smart phone brings with it. I get that those are much better... but I like the convenience of having it built in. I'm looking forward to getting to know it better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with most owners' frustrations with the OEM Navi. Before I bought my '14 BS I read the information on programming routes, which I knew was somewhat limited. It takes a lot of keystrokes and taps/know pushes to program a "Tour" with up to four "Stopovers". I got a lot of practice on my 70-day road trip last year and it still took a long time. I did use a Garmin Nuvi 2595 and my iPhone and a road atlas when everything else failed. The Garmin is the most capable, the iPhone has the best ability to search for POI's, and when the Porsche OEM Navi has a Tour set up right it is helpful... especially having the MFD display set to the right magnification for help anticipating the upcoming turns in very twisty mountain roads. Learning how to set the scale in the MFD for optimum display of upcoming turns took me quite a while. And many of my daily routes of 200 to 400 miles had up to 80 waypoints... which made the PCM Nav woefully inadequate.

It seems that most manufacturers navigation systems are designed with one objective... to get you to one destination as efficiently (fast) as possible. The options provided for shortest routes, avoiding highways, toll roads, etc. are helpful sometimes, but almost none are set up to drive curvy/twisty roads. One of the newer Garmin Nuvi models designed for motorcycles has an option for curvy roads, but that's the first I've seen. Hopefully there will be more options in the future to assist in navigating complex routes on twisty roads.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts