Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Porsche's facebook page today consuming their 981 Spyder propaganda for the ump-teenth time. Highly effective I might add as I am still mesmerized with lingering visions of money flowing freely from my wallet into a SA's hands. I was thinking how bizarre it was that Porsche offers the AC and radio as a free re-add. I mean, it is a "free" option from Porsche! :hilarious: Heck, if it is free, I would add it. Then I started thinking.....

I have never used my AC in my car. Never. Not once. I can count on one hand when I even actually drove the car with the top up. Being an engineer, I am thinking there is probably some preventive maintenance activity (or assumption by Porsche) that we would operate the AC on some frequency.

Do you Boxster guys use your AC?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Always has the A/C on and in auto mode. Set and forget, love it.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is something in my dash that resembles one but I've never tried to activate it as the flat six symphony is the only tune I like to hear.
I thought that was the zuffenhausen symphony. lol That was a cool response. I am going to look for my ac button as soon as I get back in my car.....isn't it located under the seat somewhere?

Always keep my AC on and try to top down...it combats global warming...you should also do your part ;)...

Its just perpetually too hot in Miami...
Wait...doesn't the second law of thermodynamics state that entropy is always increasing? How is this possible? :hilarious:

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The A/C is a must have for a rainy summer day when you are out in the car. But you are correct that it is not on very much.

should you add it in if building a Spyder? Absolutely. Zero cost and big help for resale value, if you ever sell it that is. Same goes for a radio and the extended fuel tank.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I thought that was the zuffenhausen symphony. lol That was a cool response. I am going to look for my ac button as soon as I get back in my car.....isn't it located under the seat somewhere?

Wait...doesn't the second law of thermodynamics state that entropy is always increasing? How is this possible? :hilarious:
Entropy is only increasing in a closed system, hence I drop the top and create an open system...:dance:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Try reselling or trading a Boxster without AC or radio. Good luck.
This.

Also, my understanding is that the A/C compressor is always "on" to some extent. It is driven by a swash plate rather than an on-off clutch. A 981 or 991 with no A/C at all would probably experience a lot of interior fogging with the top up.

It's a silly idea to offer these cars for sale with no A/C (or with a manual top, IMO), and an even worse idea to buy one. They are never going to be 550 Spyders, no matter how much hardware you unbolt.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
After six months of frostbite-inducing temperatures, I find anything over 55 degrees to be excruciatingly hot, so yes, I use the AC most of the time. :dance:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Lets see, S. AZ. where the night time temps almost need AC, so yes, I use the AC, at least during the really hot months, those being roughly mid April though mid October.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
AC and the radio are a must have feature in my car, one of the reasons I would add it back if I were to be considering a Spyder... still like the idea of the 3.8l but the rest of that car... I wish there was an option for that! ;0

·
Registered
538 Posts
As a matter of fact... it's really :hilarious: that the GT4.. a track car comes with AC and radio but offers a delete. The Spyder does not come with either but offers both options free. That seems backwards to me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rarely used, mostly in the summer if caught in the rain or the odd occasion I have the top up during the summer.
That being, said I'm adding it back in on the spyder.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
After six months of frostbite-inducing temperatures, I find anything over 55 degrees to be excruciatingly hot, so yes, I use the AC most of the time. :dance:
Same here. It can get awfully hot after all the snow and ice melt.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
186 Posts
Although our warm weather in the Great White North is limited to a few months annually, the summer humidity and temps are far beyond my comfort level (especially when one must acclimatize to sub zero temps for many months of the year). AC along with ventilated seats are a must for me !

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
rarely.

But I have yet to experience this during the hot times out here.

but i have another car to drive too if i do not feel like working on my tan. ( i am from Hawaii - I do not need to work on my tan).

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I use AC all the time in summer. Top down, AC on full power if it's really hot. Heat on full when it's really cold in the fall :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Use it all season long, we have 80 degrees in the winter. We are also a mile closer to the sun and have over 300 days of sunshine a year. I can bake in the sun all day long in Florida and California but you can't do it here. There is no way I can live w/o it. I use both A/C and heat in a day. I cruise in with the heat on and cruise home with the A/C on. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use AC all the time in summer. Top down, AC on full power if it's really hot. Heat on full when it's really cold in the fall :)
Yes. Don't underestimate the value of ac with top down. For same reason, I picked seat ventilation. It extends the comfortable top down range to maybe 30 c. After that I will instead close the top and enjoy cool room temperature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts