Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Boxster S, 75% street, 25% track for my kids. Tires are tearing up on the shoulders, so I need to align and get more negative camber. While going through the trouble, I figured a moderat lowering could be the solution.

Moderate lowering to me is 2/3 to 3/4" total, while also maintaining stock ride quality. One good side effect of lowering should be that I can get a little more negative camber without changing the lower control arms. I found with other Porsches that for every10mm lower I could pick up about -0.2 degrees.

My Technik manual says the Boxster PASM springs are -10mm from stock and that spring rates are up slightly from 154/188 to 188/228. That sounds great.

I also have read about compensators (spacers) between the perch and spring, so in theory if my car has 6.5mm compensators, I might be able to remove them and thus lower the car 16.5mm using the PASM springs.

Does anyone have any experience with this and / or have a set of used PASM springs taking up space in the garage for me to experiment with?

Otherwise, looks like a set of Eibachs, which might lower too much and then I'd have to add compensators.

Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi Ron,
You're on the right track. I was looking for about 3/4" lower myself. RUF and Techart advertise that height - but I couldn't get spring rate info, and they are more expensive, and less available. So I went with Eibach, 1.2" lower, and I couldn't be happier. The car rides great and is not too low IMHO.
Regarding compensators - my understanding is that Porsche adds them if/when/as needed to tune cornerweights. So..I would think you'd be safe to add more (or thicker) in even increments, if needed,...but I wouldn't remove them altogether. I also read a suggestion from someone to install the struts with extra compensators - and then cut away ones deemed un-needed (saving labor) - sounds like a good idea. Good luck.

·
Caymudgeon
705 Posts
IMO, you need to get camber plates or LCAs if you want to have a significant impact on tire wear. With 25% track use, you're not going to get enough neg camber to significantly reduce tire wear by just lowering the car. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I ended up going with a set of Eibach springs at AutoAnything. 10% off and free shipping plus 10% rebate from Eibach. Net was $280 delivered to my door. 1" lowering and I may adjust that to 3/4" via compensators. I should be able to get about -1.5 degrees, which is better than nothing and not as good as -2.3 I have on my street / track 997.2S.

Will report back in the spring when the car comes out of hibernation.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I'm very curious, as I've got an '08 Cayman w/PASM and would like to drop it - but like you, not too far (1/2 or 3/4" or so). If I read correctly, if the Eibach's drop it too much, there are spacing compensators available? Didn't see those on autoanything.com.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but I'm guessing this is NOT a DIY project, without spring compressors - is this right?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm very curious, as I've got an '08 Cayman w/PASM and would like to drop it - but like you, not too far (1/2 or 3/4" or so). If I read correctly, if the Eibach's drop it too much, there are spacing compensators available? Didn't see those on autoanything.com.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but I'm guessing this is NOT a DIY project, without spring compressors - is this right?
you need to order the comp plates from the dealer or from Pelican parts. The part #s are in one of the posts, just do a search for compensating plates. I have an extra pair of 3mm plates for the rear of Boxster/Cayman. I'm willing to part with them for $10 shipped. They go for $6.xx each on Pelican parts.

Also, I posted my ride height with Eibachs + 9mm of comp plates here:
Post your ride height

1 - 6 of 6 Posts