Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have put almost 500 miles on my new Boxster S since I traded my 2010 Vette Grand Sport 6 speed convertible 4 days ago. The Boxster has PDK, PASM, PTV, sports chrono, sports wheel, 20 inch wheels, and all of the packages and goodies. I have owned 10 Vettes, 2 Ferraris., 2 previous 911's, Viper, and many other sports cars. The Grand Sport Vette, compared to the Boxster, is quicker and has more torque. The info systems on the. Vette, such as tire pressure monitoring, are easier and quicker to use. Finally, the fact that everything on the Vette is keyless (doors, trunk, ignition) is a nice convenience. The Boxster, like every other car that I have owned, is my daily driver and never sees the track. The Boxster is way,more fun to drive than is the Vette. Handling is fabulous and the car is so nimble over the canyons of So. Cal. The interior layout is the best of any car that I have owned, and the materials and fit and finish are top notch. Everything about the feel and feedback from the car on the freeway or in the canyons is just perfect. The Vette always felt big and, with its huge run flat tires caused the driver to fight the road. There was never the feeling of confidence given off by the Boxster. Lastly, every car, except for my Ferrari F430 Spider (F1 tranny) has been a manual. The PDK is the best tranny that I have ever experienced. My manual tranny days are over and my Porsche days could last many a year! I don,t know if the new Boxster S is as good as it gets, but it is as good as it gets for me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That's pretty amazing coming from a former Ferrari owner!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I briefly considered a Vette and did some test drives but in the end I didnt feel it compared to the Boxster. My base 981 would get smoked in a straight line by a Vette but Im infinitely more satisfied with the 981. So I have to ask what it was like having a Ferrari F430 as a daily driver? Wow!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have put almost 500 miles on my new Boxster S since I traded my 2010 Vette Grand Sport 6 speed convertible 4 days ago. The Boxster has PDK, PASM, PTV, sports chrono, sports wheel, 20 inch wheels, and all of the packages and goodies. I have owned 10 Vettes, 2 Ferraris., 2 previous 911's, Viper, and many other sports cars. The Grand Sport Vette, compared to the Boxster, is quicker and has more torque. The info systems on the. Vette, such as tire pressure monitoring, are easier and quicker to use. Finally, the fact that everything on the Vette is keyless (doors, trunk, ignition) is a nice convenience. The Boxster, like every other car that I have owned, is my daily driver and never sees the track. The Boxster is way,more fun to drive than is the Vette. Handling is fabulous and the car is so nimble over the canyons of So. Cal. The interior layout is the best of any car that I have owned, and the materials and fit and finish are top notch. Everything about the feel and feedback from the car on the freeway or in the canyons is just perfect. The Vette always felt big and, with its huge run flat tires caused the driver to fight the road. There was never the feeling of confidence given off by the Boxster. Lastly, every car, except for my Ferrari F430 Spider (F1 tranny) has been a manual. The PDK is the best tranny that I have ever experienced. My manual tranny days are over and my Porsche days could last many a year! I don,t know if the new Boxster S is as good as it gets, but it is as good as it gets for me.
Great review. I guess the question would be, which car is your favorite now, out of all the cars you've owned?

I had a 2005 Vette before, along with a 2001 Boxster S, and currently a 07 Cayman. I can say both the Boxster and Cayman were so much better driver's car than the vette any days.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
While I did not have a C6 Vette, I did have a 2000 C5, also a 2000 S4, 2003 M3..........when I got my 08 CS, it was hands down the best overall/balanced car for me. When it came time to upgrade.........I briefly thought about a new M3, S4, C6.........but as you can see from sig, I opted to go with a CR. In the mix was also an 07 911 TT with 3,000 miles but just got spoiled by the mid engine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer 2 of the above questions. My 360 Spider and F430 Spider were my daily drivers. The 360 was a 6 speed manual and was the worst tranny I have experienced. I did not mind the gated shifter but it was such a clunky long throw shift. My F430 had an F1 which i loved with the exception that the clutch does not last because it burns out a bit every time the car is in reverse. F1 does not compare to either the new Ferrari dual clutch or the PDK. Ferraris are not good daily drivers for several reasons. First of all, there is no car on the planet that depreciates with a bunch of miles more so than Ferrari. I drive 18K a year, and sold my F430 after 7 months of ownership and 11K miles because I was about to take a bath. Secondly, unfortunately F-cars are not built very well and much of their technology is antiquated. They are expensive to work on and are always facing problems. My F430 Spider was my favorite car to drive, but the Boxster, taking everything into consideration, will be my favorite car. I guess there is a reason every car magazine on the planet loves P-cars. Also, just so you know, my 2005 Viper was the biggest P.O.S. ever built.

·
Registered
221 Posts
To answer 2 of the above questions. My 360 Spider and F430 Spider were my daily drivers. The 360 was a 6 speed manual and was the worst tranny I have experienced. I did not mind the gated shifter but it was such a clunky long throw shift. My F430 had an F1 which i loved with the exception that the clutch does not last because it burns out a bit every time the car is in reverse. F1 does not compare to either the new Ferrari dual clutch or the PDK. Ferraris are not good daily drivers for several reasons. First of all, there is no car on the planet that depreciates with a bunch of miles more so than Ferrari. I drive 18K a year, and sold my F430 after 7 months of ownership and 11K miles because I was about to take a bath. Secondly, unfortunately F-cars are not built very well and much of their technology is antiquated. They are expensive to work on and are always facing problems. My F430 Spider was my favorite car to drive, but the Boxster, taking everything into consideration, will be my favorite car. I guess there is a reason every car magazine on the planet loves P-cars. Also, just so you know, my 2005 Viper was the biggest P.O.S. ever built.
Thanks for the reply. I considered a Ferrari 360 or F430 but I knew the costs of ownership is crazy high. I also have test drove only the 360 coupe, and although very impressed, did not feel as "special" as I had thought before the test drive. Now my dream car in a few years is a 911 GT3 or GT3 RS.

And for the Viper, I saw somewhere recently it was ranked #1, but for the wrong reason. It had the highest cost of ownership in 5 years, beating out even Ferrrari, Lambos, and others, due to the high and frequent repairs...:eek:

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I considered a Ferrari 360 or F430 but I knew the costs of ownership is crazy high. I also have test drove only the 360 coupe, and although very impressed, did not feel as "special" as I had thought before the test drive. Now my dream car in a few years is a 911 GT3 or GT3 RS.

And for the Viper, I saw somewhere recently it was ranked #1, but for the wrong reason. It had the highest cost of ownership in 5 years, beating out even Ferrrari, Lambos, and others, due to the high and frequent repairs...:eek:
WOW! That takes some doing. One onf my neighbors has a Ferrari and he told me that he paid $10K for the major maintenance. Of course they picked up his car in a covered Ferrari van and returned it the same way. Man, I wish I were wealthy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I share your sentiments on the Viper. A common complaint I hear from Vette owners is that they do not do well in the rain.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have put almost 500 miles on my new Boxster S since I traded my 2010 Vette Grand Sport 6 speed convertible 4 days ago. The Boxster has PDK, PASM, PTV, sports chrono, sports wheel, 20 inch wheels, and all of the packages and goodies.....
Nice write up. Thanks!

Steve

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Nice review Ronnie.. are you getting the C7? thought I'd asked:)
I havent bought another Vette since my 06 Z06, i do miss the power ont hat car,
at that time it was pretty hot, I sold it in '07 made an extra $10k..lol
I remember when the F430 were going down in value around 08-09 stupid me I didnt buy one , now theyre up there again same as the 07 GT3RS's..
I use my 09 boxster as daily, and i cant find a reason to upgrade yet, maybe next year..:)
enjoy!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice review Ronnie.. are you getting the C7? thought I'd asked:)
I havent bought another Vette since my 06 Z06, i do miss the power ont hat car,
at that time it was pretty hot, I sold it in '07 made an extra $10k..lol
I remember when the F430 were going down in value around 08-09 stupid me I didnt buy one , now theyre up there again same as the 07 GT3RS's..
I use my 09 boxster as daily, and i cant find a reason to upgrade yet, maybe next year..:)
enjoy!!
I have no plans to buy another Vette at this time.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Before my last two Porsche purchases I tried three exotics,....F360, 430 & Lambo Gallardo.

All three of course are pretty stunning to look at and offer great performance, but both the F1 and E-Gear are just dogs IMO and the manuals offered in them are not great either. If you can find a F430 with a manual that is probably the best out of the bunch, but for all of them repair bills and frequency are just insane.

With the 991, Porsche pretty much matches both the F430 and Gallardo in performance (just look at the numbers),.....that along with a new car warranty and great manual and PDK transmissions and it was another no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Thanks for the review RonnieC7! As I will never own or drive exotic cars like Ferraris or Lambos, I very much appreciate hearing from people who have, especially if they are willing to share the actual experience. For some I guess, any inconvenience is worth the chance of having and driving one of these special cars. As my daily driver, I am so incredibly happy with my Cayman S. It offers such a wonderful combination of features and experiences.
I sure hope you enjoy your 981 Boxster in good health and for a long time!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the review RonnieC7! As I will never own or drive exotic cars like Ferraris or Lambos, I very much appreciate hearing from people who have, especially if they are willing to share the actual experience. For some I guess, any inconvenience is worth the chance of having and driving one of these special cars. As my daily driver, I am so incredibly happy with my Cayman S. It offers such a wonderful combination of features and experiences.
I sure hope you enjoy your 981 Boxster in good health and for a long time!
Thank you so much for the nice comment. Because I live in So. Cal. and had 2 Ferraris, I know a good number of F-car owners. I was the only one out of quite a large group that used the car for a daily driver. For almost everyone, there are just too many headaches and worries as a result of using them for daily drivers. I am enjoying my Boxster as a daily driver moreso than everything that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
96 Posts

This is good to read, I am almost positive I am going with a Boxster, but a Loaded Grand Sport Convertible $12K off sticker sounds like such a phenominal deal I keep thinking about it. For $63K it comes with almost every option available, that is base price for the Boxster "S". Plus maintenance is much cheaper. In the end I think I am going Boxster due to the exact reasons you mentioned.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Reading between the lines of Ronnie's post, I agree that Porsche got the big things right, but now needs to focus on the details inside the car. The GPS and sound needs improvement, and why no HUD?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Interesting thread! I 'm guessing that if you can afford a car why not use it as a daily driver. It speaks well for the new 981 that someone who can drive what he wishes sees it as an excellent and dependable daily driver. Kudos to you!:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is good to read, I am almost positive I am going with a Boxster, but a Loaded Grand Sport Convertible $12K off sticker sounds like such a phenominal deal I keep thinking about it. For $63K it comes with almost every option available, that is base price for the Boxster "S". Plus maintenance is much cheaper. In the end I think I am going Boxster due to the exact reasons you mentioned.
How about the new C7 Corvette?
A fully loaded Boxster S probably is more expensive, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts