Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Recently picked up this really clean cobalt blue 2008 Boxster S manual. Only had it a few weeks, and being fall/winter here in Colorado, won't be getting out a ton before spring. But the 300 miles or so that I've put on it so far has been really fun. The chassis balance is very impressive.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good looking color. That blue is my favorite color choice. I've had a devil of a time trying to find one the last two times I looked for a Boxster. I'm just a tiny bit jealous. Cheers!

Reactions: CO987S

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Great color, just like Mark Bitter in Seattle, who is the PCA rookie master for autocross. Just a thought is to check with Les Schaub if you have one locally, they carry H&R springs and can change the camber to give you more cornering bite to -1.5 in front and -1.8 in rear. Add 15mm wheel spacers and you are ready for canyon driving like you would not believe from an 08 car. Cheers.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Black

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Great color.
Looks like you have bi-xenon headlights and 19" sport design wheels. What other options?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Congratulations. With 70F on the Front Range, yesterday and today, Porsche weather is still with us.

With dry roads, if your tires have some cold weather temperature capacity, you can drive all year, when it isn't actively snowing or icy. Two years ago, I drove my 944 with snow tires all winter.

I got a good deal on H&R springs from a Rennlist member and then spent a ton to get them installed at an independent shop. Way too much. But, the end result is great, even with stock 'S-model' shocks. I got the Cayman R alignment settings, and the handling is fantastic for road use. I'm sure it would be fine on track, as well.

Enjoy! Investigate replacing/upgrading your shift cables at some point, if it hasn't been done. I just saw that Numeric has the Cup Cables on sale, which are highly recommended to avoid tow trucks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations. With 70F on the Front Range, yesterday and today, Porsche weather is still with us.

With dry roads, if your tires have some cold weather temperature capacity, you can drive all year, when it isn't actively snowing or icy. Two years ago, I drove my 944 with snow tires all winter.

I got a good deal on H&R springs from a Rennlist member and then spent a ton to get them installed at an independent shop. Way too much. But, the end result is great, even with stock 'S-model' shocks. I got the Cayman R alignment settings, and the handling is fantastic for road use. I'm sure it would be fine on track, as well.

Enjoy! Investigate replacing/upgrading your shift cables at some point, if it hasn't been done. I just saw that Numeric has the Cup Cables on sale, which are highly recommended to avoid tow trucks.
They are squeaking a bit when in neutral and I move them around a bit, when cold. Any local shops you recommend for work? I think I'll leave the car stock suspension wise, and if I decide to track a lot, look at doing springs/camber/brakes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I did my shift cables myself. It took me a year, because I wanted to paint the center console, as well. So I started in August of 2016 and just finished. :-/

Removal of the whole center console is what probably takes the most time. While I was in there, I also wanted to replace the shifter with an SSK, short shift kit. This required destroying the original delrin bushings with a chisel, so it is not for the faint of heart. I like hacking and modding things too much. I figured that while I was in there, I would change out as much as I could.

I got a spare center console, and sanded it down, to paint it. I used OEM-spec automotive paint in Meteor Grey with a matching gloss clear coat. I love the looks of what Bumperplugs does, but am a frugal bastidge. My end result was not nearly as good as what they do, but it was a fraction of the bill. YMMV. Good enough for me. I covered the console arm rest lid in black leather with dark grey deviated stitching, $40 off fleabay. Looks pretty good.

If you're going to tackle it yourself, start here: http://rennkit.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/996-Center-Console-Installation-Guide.pdf

This, along with the Numeric installation PDF were all I used, plus some liberal forum searching. It's not all that hard, but it takes your car out of service for a little bit while you work on it. I had my car up on jack stands for two weeks while I noodled with all of the aspects. On the plus side, you get a much better understanding of how your car works, after it's all said and done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.