Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Would like your opinion on the following, having sold my 996 in favour for an m3, I'm looking at getting into another porsche,

Is it worth spending the extra $10k difference for the Cayman s than the Boxster s? How does the 3.2 compare to 3.4?

I have previously owned 2 986 one 2.5 & one 3.2, is there much difference from the 986 3.2 vs 987 3.2? Also the 996 3.4 vs 987 3.4?

Is the 3.4 the one to go for? Obviously more expensive

Other option is to go for a z4m coupe?

Thoughts ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not that simple,

i prefer the Cayman but is it worth the $10k premium over the Boxster?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
It's not that simple,

i prefer the Cayman but is it worth the $10k premium over the Boxster?
Purely subjective question, but there are tens of thousands of Porsche buyers that believe it is. In my case I opted for Boxster because I live in a beautiful country area, and I would really have buyers remorse if I couldn't drop the top in the April to November time frame.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
There isn't a $10k difference between both if all things are equal in regards to engine and equipment. You are not telling the whole story.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
is there much difference from the 986 3.2 vs 987 3.2? Also the 996 3.4 vs 987 3.4?
No and Yes.

The 986 & 987 3.2 have the same smaller IMS which is more prone to failure but it can easily be replaced with an LN bearing. The 996 3.4 also has the smaller IMS. The 987 3.4 in the Cayman S has the larger IMS which is more reliable but virtually impossible to replace unless you tear the engine down and split the block.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The VarioCam Plus in the 987 3.4L is going to be a lot better at low end vs. 996.1 3.4L but the 996 has different gearing in the transmission. If you can find a 05 BS for a good price I would recommend it over the 986.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I cannot speak to the 986/987 experience but having owned and experienced both a 981 Cayman S and a 981 Boxster S I am in a 981 Boxster S -- for the simple reason that the latter's cabin is a far more pleasant place to be -- despite the fact that would seemingly defy logic. Oh the CS edges the BS out on performance, but not enough to offset the, relatively speaking, inferior cabin experience. Up to the age of 55 I was a die hard coupe guy. The Boxster fcuked me up. Now I'm a roadster guy. I am not complaining. That said, preferences like these are subjective, one might say opinions.

tl;dr: In before the flames.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I opted for 2005 BS; besides pricepoint I had to man up and admit that I MAY track the Porsche, but that wasn't a primary motivator, so a CS wasn't a MUST HAVE. Denver has 9 months of top-down driving weather - motorcycyle not feasible as the wife is done changing diapers. Yes I have Bose/Nav but rarely listen to tunage/CD and while not learning impaired I wouldn't call the Nav intuitive. But... I got a topless 3.2L that enjoys being flung and flogged, and after 6 months of ownership (realizing I'm giving away handling and maneuverability, but at the limits I approach I don't think I'm missing anything) I'm not interested in a CS at all. Melbourne weather has to be spectacular most months, I'd tell you to buy the BS; with the money you save you can install one of the many IMS upgrades (if you're worried), upgrade the plenum/throttle body, remap the ECU, slap on a performance exhaust+header system and still be around $10k for those upgrades. And those upgrades are tried and true 24k gold mods. You can always go crazy with wheels/suspension upgrades/body panels, but if you stick to the IMS upgrade and the 3 performance mods you'll be right around the cost of a similarly aged CS.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Boxster or Cayman is really a choice between ragtop and coupe...only you know how you want to use it, and whether the Cayman is worth the slight premium price-wise if both are configured apples to apples.

The problem with a Z4...ANY Z4, even the M coupe...is you can only go out at night. Yes, it is THAT ugly. :taunt:

Reactions: lrcipo and 3G3T7I

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've owned two Caymans. First was a 2007 S 6-speed. Then I left the Porsche world and drove a BMW Z435is. That lasted a year and I went back to the Cayman and am now in a 2010 S PDK/PASM

I love convertibles. I think nothing can beat cruising around on a nice evening with the top down. All this is subjective, but I think the Cayman is a better looking car than the Boxster. The soft top of the boxster just doesn't do the lines justice IMO. You'll love the Boxster when you can put the top down, but there's also the tradeoff of added road noise when you have the top up. There's also the matter of storage. You'd be shocked how much you can fit in the Cayman's hatch. I'm an avid golfer and my clubs fit neatly in the back and I can rest my driver across the back ledge. Can't do that in a Boxster. I daily drive my car so the added utility is a plus.

With regards to 987.1 vs 987.2 buy the newest one you can afford. 987.2 has many benefits over 987.1 that many consider worth it. (hence the premium in price) I feel there is a noticeable improvement in performance, cabin appearance and general build quality between my old 987.1 and my new car. Do your research and determine what's best for you.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Is it worth spending the extra $10k difference for the Cayman s than the Boxster s?
I don't know if I am missing something here but there is not a $10K difference between the Cayman S and the Boxster S. There is a $11.5K difference between the Base Cayman and the Cayman S and there is a $11.8K difference between the Base Boxster and the Boxster S. The base price of the Boxster is actually a few hundred dollars less than the Cayman.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh, and I probably should comment on the Z4. The Porsche is in a whole different league with regards to driving pleasure. (which is why I switched back)

The Z4 is not a sports car (no matter how many M badges you slap on it) It's a cruiser. The thing is "easy fast" in a straight line, but forget about turning or stopping. Oh, and don't get me started on that POS suspension. That car absolutely crashed over ever road imperfection to the point that it was actually uncomfortable to drive.

But that sound! OMG the sounds that car made were so addicting. That's the only thing I miss about it. The engine and exhaust sound of the 35is is pretty special. I suppose if this is all you did in the car, then perhaps it would be perfect, but how many super long and uncrowded tunnels do you drive through on a daily basis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQJvEdqDCAI

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cayman vs Boxster really is all about whether you want a coupe or convertible.
Unless you plan to track the car, the performance difference between the two models is not significant.

There is a large difference between the 986 and 987.
Other than the powertrain there are minimal differences between the 987.1 and 987.2. The interior is nearly the same while the exterior is subtly and minimally changed.
It is the new engines (with no IMS) and the availability of the PDK that makes the 987.2 stand out from the 987.1.
Just drive both and see what you think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if I am missing something here but there is not a $10K difference between the Cayman S and the Boxster S. There is a $11.5K difference between the Base Cayman and the Cayman S and there is a $11.8K difference between the Base Boxster and the Boxster S. The base price of the Boxster is actually a few hundred dollars less than the Cayman.
From the 2 I'm deciding on there is a $10k difference,

id do prefer the Cayman as I've already had 2 boxsters, but for the $10k saving the Boxster seems like a better buy, as the ims has already been done & can use the saving on mods/maintenance

I would rather the 3.4 over the 3.2 though

im not much of a convertible guy, I barely used it in my previous cars unless at night.

See Links between the 2 I'm choosing

Boxster s

2005 Porsche Boxster 987 S

Cayman s

2006 Porsche Cayman 987 S MY07

thoughts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cannot speak to the 986/987 experience but having owned and experienced both a 981 Cayman S and a 981 Boxster S I am in a 981 Boxster S -- for the simple reason that the latter's cabin is a far more pleasant place to be -- despite the fact that would seemingly defy logic. Oh the CS edges the BS out on performance, but not enough to offset the, relatively speaking, inferior cabin experience. Up to the age of 55 I was a die hard coupe guy. The Boxster fcuked me up. Now I'm a roadster guy. I am not complaining. That said, preferences like these are subjective, one might say opinions.

tl;dr: In before the flames.
In 981 guise I actually prefer the looks of the Boxster than the Cayman,

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I think it is as simple as convertible or not. I've owned both a 987 Cayman S and 987 Boxster S. The difference in driving experience for me has been virtually the same. I would be hard pressed to say the Cayman was a better driving experience. I can put the top down on the Boxster. I prefer the looks of the Cayman to Boxster with the top up. Top down on the Boxster and the looks can't be beat IMO. So if the weather in Melbourne provides you with lots of sunny days I think you want the Boxster and save the ten grand for extra goodies. I had my Cayman in Texas where it was too cold or too hot most of the time for a convertible. But in Los Angeles where it's pretty much room temperature year round with very few days of rain the Boxster was the only choice.

Go to work - top down
Go home from work- top down
Drive to get gas - top down
Go the grocery store - top down.
Need to move the car to another parking spot - Top down.

Gonna need a new convertible top motor soon :) The Boxster/Cayman is the only situation you'll find where the convertible is cheaper.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Speaking of price differences between the Boxster and the Cayman, has anyone noticed with the latest price updates the difference now has become almost negligible?

Here in the USA,
Base Cayman 53595
Base Boxster 53095
Net 500.00

Cayman S 65095
Boxster S 64895
Net 200.00

Cayman GTS 76195
Boxster GTS 75595
Net 600.00

·
Registered
165 Posts
From the 2 I'm deciding on there is a $10k difference,

id do prefer the Cayman as I've already had 2 boxsters, but for the $10k saving the Boxster seems like a better buy, as the ims has already been done & can use the saving on mods/maintenance

I would rather the 3.4 over the 3.2 though

im not much of a convertible guy, I barely used it in my previous cars unless at night.

See Links between the 2 I'm choosing

Boxster s

2005 Porsche Boxster 987 S

Cayman s

2006 Porsche Cayman 987 S MY07

thoughts
This would have been useful information in the first post. If you've truely "already owned 2 Boxsters" why are you asking our opinion on Boxster vs Cayman?

Now to answer the question you are really asking. If I were choosing between the two you linked I'd buy the boxster because of the IMS upgrade and lower cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This would have been useful information in the first post. If you've truely "already owned 2 Boxsters" why are you asking our opinion on Boxster vs Cayman?

Now to answer the question you are really asking. If I were choosing between the two you linked I'd buy the boxster because of the IMS upgrade and lower cost.
Ive owned a 2.5 986 & 3.2s, I have also owned 911 sc & 996 3.4,

Having owned boxsters in the past I would prefer the Cayman, I also prefer the looks of the hardtop, In saying that I took the 987 Boxster S for a test drive & was pretty satisfied with performance of the 3.2

So confused!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts