Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm beginning to get get concerned over this. There has been a slight abrasion on my soft top right behind the left rear window for quite some time. The first time I saw it was almost a year ago and I had no idea what might have caused it. But since it didnt seem to cause a trouble I just shrugged it off.

Recently, I'm beginning to get worried over this, I'm afraid this might develop into a cut or something.

Any idea what might have caused something like that?? Or more importantly, what to do??!

:thanks:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Post a photo of it as I have an abrasion that started on my top about 10" above the rear window. I'm curious to see if they are in the same place because I have an idea of what is causing it.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not ask your dealer?
Very good question :). I actually will do that on my first visit, but as always, your opinions give a different (and often better) presepective than the dealer's

Can you get a clear photo of it?
I will try to get a good pic of it tonight hopefully.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same marks on mine. It is an 07. Let's find a solution on this one! IF we can find out what the top is rubbing on then maybe we can put some sticky felt pads on the culprit to eliminate more wear.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The next time the sun comes out (whenever the hell that will be) for a top down day I'll take some picks from mine and a pic of what I think is causing it. If it's what I think it is it looks like the top is slightly out of alignment because what it is hitting on can't be adjusted. I agree let's try to find a solution because I'll be replacing my top next year and don't want to see the same thing on a new $1,200 investment.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Here's some pics of where my abrasion is and what I think is the culprit. Don't know the function of the latch that I think the top is hitting on when retracting. Let me know if this is the same area on your cars.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, its actually quite different. I'm trying to get a good pic but unfortunately I havent been able to get the car in good lighting to get a photo these past days.

One thing I noticed, though. The 987 looks kinda different in this area. But from what I see in your pic this latch can hardly cause that abrasion, since the top is folded 3 layers when it touches down, it can only do that if it cuts through the bottom 2!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I just helped my lady friend purchase a 1999 Boxster. Perfect condition in every way but it has two abrasions on the top above and behind the rear top corner of the window-one on each side. The salesman, whom I trust, says this is very common on Boxsters. The previous owner took meticulous care of this car and I noticed when looking at the folded top (car had a hard top) that he used a chamois to protect this area and prevent this from happening further . Without knowing for sure maybe protecting this area when folding it down with some cloth may prevent the situation from getting worse.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I also have a slight scuff mark ( 2 years now) but it is located on the passenger side around shoulder height to the rear of the side window. I have been wondering how this got there. Good news is that mine has not gotten any worse.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
No, its actually quite different. I'm trying to get a good pic but unfortunately I havent been able to get the car in good lighting to get a photo these past days.

One thing I noticed, though. The 987 looks kinda different in this area. But from what I see in your pic this latch can hardly cause that abrasion, since the top is folded 3 layers when it touches down, it can only do that if it cuts through the bottom 2!
There is nothing else, where the top folds into, that would cause the abrasion so the alternative is it is a point of wear that is normal to Boxster tops. It has not gotten any worse and I'm looking into a fabric glue that might hold the threads together and not show up as a spot on the top.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I took my 07 Boxster in for certified warranty work to fix a problem where the top would not set itself well along the passenger window. It was fixed under warranty. But while I was at the dealership I pointed out a scuffing on my top (about four inches long and an inch high) similar to what has been described in this thread. The dealership would not either repair the problem or repair what was causing the problem under warranty. They suggested I call Porsche. So I did. After pleading my case I had the door shut in my face... considered normal wear, will not be repaired under warranty.

How can an obvious defect in the opening and closing of the top which causes this abnormal wear not be a warranty fix? I am positive I have done nothing to create this scuff mark other than simply raise and lower the top.

I had to laugh... to stop the scuff from getting worse the woman at the dealership suggested I not raise and lower the top.

Anyways, after reading this thread it seems neither Porsche or its dealerships have found the cause and solution. Any new developments since then on this issue?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same thing. As I posted somewhere else, I went to the Porsche dealer and literally every CPO Boxster they had on the lot had the same abrasions to one degree or another.

I asked my service guy about it, and he said that what's causing it is the top folding together, so that one part of the exterior of the top rubs against another part, causing the abrasion. He says they see the issue much more in cars where the top is down a lot or in cars stored with the top down, which makes sense.

He suggested putting a microfiber towel in the folds of the top when you lower it, to separate the folds. That sounds like a good solution, except I don't dig the idea of having to get out of the car and stick towels in the top when I lower it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I installed a new GAAH glass window top on my '99 Boxster about six months ago and it is already showing signs of abrasion. I typically drive with the top down and enjoy not having to get out of the car to chop the window when lowering the top. Since the original top lasted 12 years I'm not going to worry about some abrasions as long as it keeps the water off me when it rains.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so I took some photos of the scuff/abrasion with my iPad. But since I'm new to the iPad world, I have no idea how to get the photos on this thread. Any ideas what I need to do?
If you have a forum app, like Tapatalk for example, u can just upload them from there. Otherwise, just upload them to your computer then attach them to the thread!

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I'm getting my Boxster ready for winter storage, so I finally found time to photograph the abrasion I mentioned in a previous post. Porsche refused to cover this damage under warranty. Seems like a warranty issue to me! What can/should I do to get this either repaired or keep it from getting worse?

I also included a photo of my door trim (it looks this way on the other side of the car too). What is happening to the trim? Is there anything I can do to make this look normal again?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts