Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder Full Test and Video

"Keep the wheel straight and apply a few dozen years of track-testing skill and the Spyder rips to 60 mph from a standstill in 4.6 seconds (4.4 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and deafens the ears as it goes through the quarter-mile timers in 12.8 seconds at 109.4 mph. You have to row a six-speed manual transmission with the Spyder's standard short-throw shift kit to get there (the dual-clutch PDK automated manual is optional), and there are some of us who feel the short-throw, bolt-action lever is the perfect match to the quick-revving 320-horsepower 3.4-liter flat-6. And then there's the other half who think that the milliseconds saved aren't worth the compromise in the feel of positive gear engagement that the normal shift linkage provides. Nevertheless, everybody loves the click-clack that the shift lever makes as it snick-snick-snaps its way through the H-pattern."

"Let's do a comparison, shall we? The last time we were able to test a Porsche 911 GT3, it weighed in at a relatively porky 3,209 pounds compared with the Boxster Spyder's trim 2,908 pounds. Of course the GT3 came with sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, while this "hard-core" Boxster comes with Bridgestone Potenza RE050As (the same tires you'll find on a BMW 135i), so it's no wonder the GT3 ripped up the pavement of our test track with a 75.3-mph run through the slalom and a 1.01g lap around the skid pad. Porsche tells us that the Boxster's RE050A tires meet forthcoming 2012 environmental regulations, but we suspect that if you gave it some R-compound tires, you would have this lightweight, perfectly balanced driver's dream easily driving circles around that fat, ***-engined, froggie-color car for which Porsche charged you $123,000."

there is a video and a few nice shots as well!

·
Registered
625 Posts
that is such a gorgeous car!!!

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Could yuo just imagine that with an after market exhaust like borla...now that would be a reason for no top ever...

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Great review. The author definitely has a way with words.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice, I had only seen pictures and videos of the Spyder in white, in which the car didn't look that good in my opinion, but in black it's a different story, much more elegant and balanced (referring to the back obviously)!

The only thing that doesn't impress me in this car is the manual roof, I don't know if I could live with that...

By the way, does anyone know how to download this video, and/or other great Porsche videos from Jay Leno's Garage? :) I have an add-on, or actually three, in my Firefox for downloading these embedded videos but they don't seem to work on some sites. However, some people have successfully downloaded Jay's videos and uploaded them to Youtube, so it can be done somehow...Thanks for any ideas!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Good, its slower than my car (current one). :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts