Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Please advice. I own 2011 Boxster Spyder with just 10,000 km. I love this car for track days and the fact that there are no many of them on the street (i read that production numbers are around 2 thousand). Mine comes manual transmission and GT3´s buckets seats. I even have Lewis Hamilton signature on my glove box (It is true, I took it off and have him sign it in 2013 at the German GP).
Right now, I have an option to trade it for a 997 turbo in pristine condition with few kms on it as well.
I´m very tempted because the Turbo could be an every day car and track day car as well.
I love my Spyder but is a car that is fun in track days and occasional Sunday drive.
I saw the spy pictures of the new 981 Spyder with the same characteristics of the GT4 and it will be awesome and my car will depreciate.
Please give me your opinion. I must decide in a couple of weeks....

PD, If you like or don´t like Lewis Hamilton don´t be biased by that.:(

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Compared to a Boxster Spyder, 997 Turbos are pretty common and not especially unique. I'm guessing you probably have the GT2 Sport Buckets rather than GT3 seats, which adds value to the Spyder as well. You don't say what year the Turbo is; whether a .1 or a .2 the maintenance and repairs if it's out of warranty are going to be higher than the Spyder.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Ask yourself why you got the 987 Spyder in the first place. It sounds like you enjoy the exclusivity but need the daily driveability. The 997TT looks like most other 911s and it is a totally different animal than a 987 Spyder.

Did you consider the 981 Spyder? I would get that one but that's just me. I could live (actually enjoy) the tent top. It's going to be a great deal like the GT4 is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate,

I love the looks and the handling of my car specially on track day (which I hardly do). Other than that, an occasional Sunday drive.
I have to admit that part of the pleasure of having it was the fact that it was a rare model but now that know a 981 Spyder is on the way I feeling is gone.
I´d love to own the new GT4 or the new Spyder for that matter but I don´t want to spend more money on this. My doubt started when a friend offer me the 997 TT.
I know that they are completely different concepts.. I just don´t don't want to give up my Spyder a then regret it.
May be i´m giving too much credit to the uniqueness of the Spyder and should stop being such drama queen about it.

The 997 TT is .2 with a Chip. It is really a beast. is manual and have few km. It is a car that I can use every day even go to any track day...

·
Super Moderator
6,775 Posts
There's no comparison... Go turbo. You tried the Spider, and go for the Cheetah. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Turbo? It's a perfect car, but leaves me cold. GT3 different story. I'd stick with the Spyder, but I just recently bought a Cayman R and might be biased ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Or put a turbo in the Spyder. That would be one unique beast! If I didnt live in California, I'd be stashing away some hard earned money from the wife...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
To give up a Spyder, I would only consider it if it's a GT3 RS that we are talking about (not even standard GT3s).

Turbos are great and fast cars, but just not the same type of fun to me.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Spyder if you enjoy handling more, Turbo is you want brutal acceleration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts