Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's not a true sports car... it's not English, doesn't have Lucas electrics... probably starts every time... roof probably doesn't leak... only 320 h.p....
hmmmmmm..... $61k... I'm in for black... they can keep the top...:cheers:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder - Article - Road and Track

Highlights: 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12.8 seconds @109.6 mph, 1.02g lateral acceleration. Sounds like a winner to me! ;)
Without reading the article I assume that's with a 6speed as the regular Boxster S with a PDK tested at 4.2 0-60 last year, I think the Boxster S 6 speed previously tested at what 4.6 or 4.7, in which case the spyder would be faster (as anticipated with less weight and more hp)

Will be nice to see what they get out of the Cayman version.... ;)

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the actual article in the magazine says the car they tested was a 6-speed manual (not PDK).

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you think about it, PDK is sort of contrary to the minimalist philosophy of the Spyder...

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
When you think about it, PDK is sort of contrary to the minimalist philosophy of the Spyder...
I agree, I'm just saying those who are in it for all out speed and best times would have to tick the PDK box. PDK weighs somewhere between the 6speed and the old Tiptronic if I remember correctly...

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's hard to beleive the Boxster has been around 13 years. In true Porsche fashion, continual incremental improvements. I like the more aggressive look of the nex car and it should continue to compete nicely against the limited other cars in the segment.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

·
Registered
216 Posts
Highlights: 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12.8 seconds @109.6 mph, 1.02g lateral acceleration.
The highlight to me was the slalom time that beats every car they've tested in recent history, with the exception of the GT3 and GT2, which tied at ~1mph faster (and they run on track tires).

To me, that is what the Spyder is all about. That it is quick in a straight line is just a bonus.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wonder if this lightened, track-ready version comes from the factory with oil temp and pressure gauges....;)

To add to its "go" power, it looks much cooler than the standard Boxster, IMHO.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"..with the exception of the GT3 and GT2, which tied at ~1mph faster (and they run on track tires)."

I just wonder why they didn't gave Cup-tyres for BSpyder? Oh, well. 1.02g is not that bad. Makes sense to have proper sport buckets.

·
Registered
202 Posts
"..with the exception of the GT3 and GT2, which tied at ~1mph faster (and they run on track tires)."

I just wonder why they didn't gave Cup-tyres for BSpyder? Oh, well. 1.02g is not that bad. Makes sense to have proper sport buckets.
Good point. With the roofless configuation, the Cup (dry only) tires make a lot of sense. Of course, they can always be added.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The GT3 came with Pilot Sport Cup tires as standard because it had a dry sump engine that would not suffer from oil starvation problems under the high-G loads that could be generated on the track with such tires. I'm not sure if the new DFI engines have the same capability. Unless you track the car, the Cup tires are probably not a good choice for a street tire because of very short lifetimes and seriously degraded performance in the wet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not sure if the new DFI engines have the same capability. Unless you track the car, the Cup tires are probably not a good choice for a street tire because of very short lifetimes and seriously degraded performance in the wet.
The new Turbo has DFI and does not have a dry sump, and is capable of extreme cornering forces. (GT3 will be next; the old GT1 motor is a lame duck.)

There are videos on youtube and elsewhere demostrating the 9A1 and its oiling system on a rig testing extreme g-loads. I'm sure the Spyder can handle Cup tires (as R&T found, it pulls about the same g's on the skidpad as the GT2/GT3). However, while legal, I agree that they are not intended primarily for street use (which the Spyder is).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts