Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to put the pieces together. First the rumors of the Porsche announcement of the Spyder scheduled for April first. Then the VAG "inadvertent" announcement of the Boxster Spyder in their press release last week......then

Rumors on Rennlist that the Spyder will be rolled out at the NY International Auto Show the first week of April. These rumors came from the GT guys who are far more connected than I am..... I go to the NY Auto show web site and sure enough there is a new debut of a Porsche scheduled for the show.

If this happens, then a bunch of people are going to be calling their dealers shortly after the auto show opening to get on the waiting list. If you want a Spyder, you may already be too late. I called my SA this morning and there are already 3 on the waiting list. He said he "probably" could get me a car at the end of the production run.

This maybe the last naturally aspirated 6MT Porsche will make. The best sports car in the world IMHO. Now I am in heated negotiations with my wife.......and it's not going very well. :(

What do you guys think? Rollout at the NY show?....Will there be a 2 year production run like some are saying with the GT4?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think it will be less than 2 years. Something to note: my dealer doesn't actually take deposits until cars are officially announced. That's how I snuck in and got a GT4, by going there with checkbook the day of the announcement. So some dealers may be sold out, but there will be opportunities on the day of the announcement also.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
Considering that it's not a car under GT production, and 2017 should mark the year of the (shudder) turbo fours, I can't see this beeing anything more than a limited 2016 production.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The 4 banger better have a lot of hp and torque because that will be the only thing plus for them. They might get a few Prius converts of they offer a hybrid that gets 40/35 mpg, but I wouldn't want one.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Awaiting post from 981FTW with a pic of a spyder swatter (modified fly swatter). :taunt:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Some rag -- might've been AutoCar -- actually claimed an April announce date. Was a few weeks back.

Another consideration is how limited GT4 production is... possibly because they also need production capacity for the Boxster Spyder.

Also, PistonHeads did a Boxster market watch today. PH is notorious for doing market watches a few weeks prior to a big announcement.

·
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other thing that I wanted to add was that the 987 Boxster Spyder was also rolled out at the NY Auto Show......

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
I am starting to put the pieces together. First the rumors of the Porsche announcement of the Spyder scheduled for April first. Then the VAG "inadvertent" announcement of the Boxster Spyder in their press release last week......then

Rumors on Rennlist that the Spyder will be rolled out at the NY International Auto Show the first week of April. These rumors came from the GT guys who are far more connected than I am..... I go to the NY Auto show web site and sure enough there is a new debut of a Porsche scheduled for the show.

If this happens, then a bunch of people are going to be calling their dealers shortly after the auto show opening to get on the waiting list. If you want a Spyder, you may already be too late. I called my SA this morning and there are already 3 on the waiting list. He said he "probably" could get me a car at the end of the production run.

This maybe the last naturally aspirated 6MT Porsche will make. The best sports car in the world IMHO. Now I am in heated negotiations with my wife.......and it's not going very well. :(

What do you guys think? Rollout at the NY show?....Will there be a 2 year production run like some are saying with the GT4?
Tell your wife going on a waitlist is not committing to buying the car. Just to leave the option open.

·
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tell your wife going on a waitlist is not committing to buying the car. Just to leave the option open.
I've been there.....you would not believe how attached she has become to this car. She has all these memories from ED and other trips and she considers it part of the family (you may recall, we named her Ms Daisy)....I'm not kiddin. You would have thought I was suggesting trading her mother in for a new one lol. She is strongly suggesting just getting the Spyder and keeping the 981. But that would leave us with 4 cars for two people, with a two car garage living in a city and 2 two seater convertibles depreciating in the garage. Ugh. I had hoped that I could just trade up, get $50k for my Boxster and fork out another $50k and be done with it.

I'm going up to my dealership Friday to talk to my SA about options. I think if the car is announced in New York in a couple weeks, my window for getting on a waiting list with a reasonable chance of success will be over.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep, I'm placing deposits today. If the GT4 pops, I'll take a GT4. But I originally was waiting for the Spyder way back. I'm kind of looking forward to some of the inconvenience with the top to be honest. Makes it more special.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
I've been there.....you would not believe how attached she has become to this car. She has all these memories from ED and other trips and she considers it part of the family (you may recall, we named her Ms Daisy)....I'm not kiddin. You would have thought I was suggesting trading her mother in for a new one lol. She is strongly suggesting just getting the Spyder and keeping the 981. But that would leave us with 4 cars for two people, with a two car garage living in a city and 2 two seater convertibles depreciating in the garage. Ugh. I had hoped that I could just trade up, get $50k for my Boxster and fork out another $50k and be done with it.

I'm going up to my dealership Friday to talk to my SA about options. I think if the car is announced in New York in a couple weeks, my window for getting on a waiting list with a reasonable chance of success will be over.
Well. If your wife insists to keep both, who are you to argue? ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've been there.....you would not believe how attached she has become to this car. She has all these memories from ED and other trips and she considers it part of the family (you may recall, we named her Ms Daisy)....I'm not kiddin. You would have thought I was suggesting trading her mother in for a new one lol. She is strongly suggesting just getting the Spyder and keeping the 981. But that would leave us with 4 cars for two people, with a two car garage living in a city and 2 two seater convertibles depreciating in the garage. Ugh. I had hoped that I could just trade up, get $50k for my Boxster and fork out another $50k and be done with it. I'm going up to my dealership Friday to talk to my SA about options. I think if the car is announced in New York in a couple weeks, my window for getting on a waiting list with a reasonable chance of success will be over.
Devil's advocate: you already have a 981BS in great shape. If you trade for a Spyder, you're going to get a bit more power and a MUCH worse top, if the new Spyder is anything like the old one. What's the appeal? Wait for your warranty to run out and let someone like BGB supply the missing power in a car you already love (or if you're willing to burn $$K anyway, do the upgrade now).

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
165 Posts
Actually the BS was launched at the LA show with the CR following about a year later. The 987 BS was then displayed at the NY show following the LA show. So perhaps they will follow this time table. Also there was an article in a recent 911 euro mag that stated the BS will be launched in September in an interview with a PAG exec.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Goofnik: I would love to see some pictures of your GTS! Could you post a few if possible. Also,I had a BXT Spyder and a Cayman R both black here in NE. I loved the Spyder and the top took just a minute to put on/take off. Never an issue plus it looked so retro of the 550 Spyder which just made it very cool too!
RE the GT4 or new Bxt Spyder. The allocations go to who ever bought more of which ever model from the same dealership. So if you previously purchased two/three Cayman's from the same dealer then you should get an allocation this year.
I agree with the posts that say the GT4 and Spyder will most probably be each a two year production run before the new gen four cylinder turbo Bxt/Cayman's are introduced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would prefer they debut it in Denver...LA and NY shouldn't get all the good stuff. It's bad enough they didn't do the Roadshow here this year.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
From an International debut standpoint... Denver makes no sense whatsoever. There are plenty of other venues that are more important with more global visibility.

·
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From an International debut standpoint... Denver makes no sense whatsoever. There are plenty of other venues that are more important with more global visibility.
Maybe the NY auto show roll out will be the 991.2? hmmmm....and not the Spyder?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I was hoping that they were going to announce the smaller panamera I would definitely be game at 100k or less. The new spyder makes more sense ?. I have am a few years out until I can get back into a sports car. I even went as far as a 991 but the wife ousted it because we are expecting in October.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts