Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Predecessor's roof operation:

Yeah, nice car but man, that routine would get old real fast. I'm just not enough of a purist for the 981 Spyder.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Did you guys notice it is not a fixed duck tail? It goes up at speed.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Oh ****, that roof may not be that bad at all:

WANT!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Oh shit, that roof may not be that bad at all:

WANT!!
Well, under the circumstances shown in the video (preparing for a relaxed weekend morning drive on a sunny day), you could assemble almost anything from scratch, and it would be ok.

The *real* circumstance you need to consider is putting the roof up when you are pulled over on the side of the road in the city at night and it just started pouring rain. SUV’s whizzing by you splashing you with water on one side, and cars honking at you to get your *** in gear behind you.

The 981 Spyder might be doable under those circumstances. The 987 Spyder would be a lost cause. Definitely an improvement, and fairly clever engineering this time around.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The *real* circumstance you need to consider is putting the roof up when you are pulled over on the side of the road in the city at night and it just started pouring rain. SUV’s whizzing by you splashing you with water on one side, and cars honking at you to get your *** in gear behind you.
I salute your creative writing skills but disagree on the scenario. That would never happen to me. I'm not psychic but lawdy -- I have way more foresight than to put myself in potential peril like that. To wit, in near 30K kilometres in my 981BS I've not been close to such a scenario.

tl;dr: look out the window, check weather reports much?

:beer:

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I salute your creative writing skills but disagree on the scenario. That would never happen to me. I'm not psychic but lawdy -- I have way more foresight than to put myself in potential peril like that. To wit, in near 30K kilometres in my 981BS I've not been close to such a scenario.

I agree. I've never even put my roof up anyway.......

·
Registered
966 Posts

LOL, I guess it depends on how often you really drive with the top down, and what climate you live in. Once the temp reaches around 50, my top is by default down until it rains. I wouldn't keep the top up just because the weather report says there's a chance of showers on my way home from work. And it can be sunny on one side of the hill and rainy on the other; the weather report won't help with that.

If you're going over 40mph, you don't really get wet anyway; it's only when you slow down that you'll get drenched. Hence my scenario above - as I decend the hill into Portland and begin to hit some traffic, I will often encounter rain. In the Boxster, I can put the top up while still moving; in the S2000, I could annoy the people behind me for 15 seconds and put the top up while they wait. If I wanted to rely on my "foresight" about the weather to avoid this scenario entirely, I'd end up driving with the top *up* much more often, unnecessarily...

In any case, I think the 981 Spyder is good enough that I could probably make that scenario work. The 987 wouldn't have worked for me at all...
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
If the temperature is above zero (c) and it's not grossly windy the top is down. However, if I'm on the highway and there's a chance of rain the top goes up. If I had a Spyder I'd be a little more thoughtful on my top up/down choice but it need not be rocket science.

tl;dr: lol are we really having this "discussion"?

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Vendor
6,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The new roof is Miata like, in its folding, which, I think, is a huge improvement from the last one.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

Weather might be predictable where you are but the weather girl never gets it right here. I've driving in four seasons in a few miles, from sunny and hot, to rain, then snow. I drove the roadster because the forecast calls for sunny and warm, only to drive home in the snow.

If I have to leave the cabin to raise/lower the roof, than it's not the roadster for me. I complain about not able to operate the roof at speeds with my previous roadster before I got the smarttop. Now I have to operate it at a complete stop, we'll just let Porsche convince the purist that it's worth it. If I want a car that is light and hardcore, I get one with a fix roof, that is just me. But I do admit, it's a beautiful looking roadster, one I would consider if it had a powered retractable roof.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts