Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most articles about the boxster spyder talk about the ulta light wheels. None that I can find identify the wheel's manufacturer. I imagine they're BBS, but I don't know.

anyone know who makes the wheel?

I bought my 08 boxster S with the intent of upgrading to 19" wheels. Up until now Champion RS98's were my first choice. the sypder wheels may change that if they're available in the after market.

dave
boulder,co

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I called pfaff Porsche and the price for all 4 rims were around $6000.00 CND!
Yikes!:eek:

I hope I don't damage mine down the road as replacements will be painful! In this case insurance will be used. Here's a cutaway of the wheel for those interested.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Ultra light may be a relative term. Porsche 19" wheels that I have had in the past are somewhat heavy compared to forged ones on the aftermarket. My 19" GT3 wheels and other Porsche wheels were 3-5 pounds heavier per wheel than other wheels available at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw one article that said the spyder wheels are 11 pounds lighter than the 18 in boxster S wheels. taking that much unsprung mass off the car isn't trivial. Colin Chapman would have mortgaged his soul for a reduction like that.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I saw one article that said the spyder wheels are 11 pounds lighter than the 18 in boxster S wheels. taking that much unsprung mass off the car isn't trivial. Colin Chapman would have mortgaged his soul for a reduction like that.
I am pretty sure that must be for all four wheels not each wheel. As Jeff asked, we will only know if someone has the sizes and weights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes. 11 pounds lighter for 4 wheels. I'm guessing the spyder wheels may weigh in around 19 lbs. Maybe a little less... but not much. still, 2.5 to 3 pounds lighter per wheels is not trivial.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Champion wheels are 8,000 ton forged. Only a few companies (BBS and Rays Engineering are examples) are 8,000 ton forged and hard to beat for lightness and strength.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
yes. 11 pounds lighter for 4 wheels. I'm guessing the spyder wheels may weigh in around 19 lbs. Maybe a little less... but not much. still, 2.5 to 3 pounds lighter per wheels is not trivial.
I agree that is not trivial but 3 pounds lighter per wheel for a Porsche 19" wheel could be 21 pounds. this is all speculation until someone has the true weights.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Check out the OZ Allegarita wheels. In 18" @ 8" & 9" widths they're 17-18 lbs and cost around $400.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
According to Excellence, the sizes are 19x8.5 and 19x10 with slightly different offset than standard Boxster wheels (leading to a wider track). However, no weights or maker cited.

spm, cpa

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just found this on a German site (Porsche Boxster Spyder: Weniger ist teurer - Auto | STERN.DE)

"Sogar die speziellen 19-Zoll-Rader sparen Gewicht: Die Felgen selbst wiegen zwar bloss eine Spur weniger als die serienmassigen 18-Zoller des Boxster, aber weil die entsprechenden 19-Zoll-Reifen dunner ausfallen, wird Gummi gespart: macht funf Kilo pro Satz."

Meaning: the Spyder 19' wheels are a touch lighter than the regular Boxster 18' wheels...the tyres are also lighter. Total weight-saving comes to 5 kilos per set (11 lbs).

Tamas

·
Registered
239 Posts
We already know the size... we are questioning actual weights which aren't listed.
Actually, I was contributing to the offset discussion.

It appears that all of the 19" rear wheel options have an offset of +46, EXCEPT the Carerra Sports, which are the only option at 10" rear width - and they are listed at +42mm, and 27.34lbs. It wouldn't be hard to drop a couple pounds from those, would it?

Front offsets are all +57, except the Sports at 8.5 +55 (and 23.37lbs.)

Sorry if I missed that stuff in an earlier post and am repeating here...

·
Registered
66 Posts
So how much do they weigh?

So they cost $6000! Hmmm maybe I won't track those lol

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Wheelenhancement.com might have them for a little less. Dealer is always going to be the most expensive. Also what about Suncoast?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts