Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being relatively young, or absolutely young for a Porsche owner, I've had trouble in the past empathizing with anyone who had issues with any type of OEM suspension for being too stiff. This week I caught a viral stomach flu at the airport. For those who haven't experienced it or it's been too long to remember, it feels like getting stabbed in the abdomen with a vegetable knife 10 times and lasts for 3 or 4 days. The 2 mile ride from the hotel to the hospital was rather unbearable, and for the first time I was wishing this car had PASM -- I totally get it now. I think it's worse when you're not the one driving and holding onto the wheel.

Anecdote aside, I just wanted to register another data point that the base Boxster suspension is quite stiff, even if underdeveloped compared to the top of the game x73.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
PASM wouldn't have helped much either.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Having quite a few cars I disagree. My vw golf tdi has sport suspension ands it's what some would call an ecobox...its firmer. Go try a mercedes cla or audi s4. Comfort is a trade off with handling but the light weight, wide stance, large tires, and mid engine balance make this car far more comfortable AND better handling the others. If you want plush, you'd have to get something like a Honda accord, which handles like crap on a good day. Even then rough roads mean rough ride...its like complaining about tire noise when driving on a metal bridge.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think true ride comfort comes from air suspension. Lincoln Towncar, Macan, Tesla S.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Being relatively young, or absolutely young for a Porsche owner, I've had trouble in the past empathizing with anyone who had issues with any type of OEM suspension for being too stiff. This week I caught a viral stomach flu at the airport. For those who haven't experienced it or it's been too long to remember, it feels like getting stabbed in the abdomen with a vegetable knife 10 times and lasts for 3 or 4 days. The 2 mile ride from the hotel to the hospital was rather unbearable, and for the first time I was wishing this car had PASM -- I totally get it now. I think it's worse when you're not the one driving and holding onto the wheel.

Anecdote aside, I just wanted to register another data point that the base Boxster suspension is quite stiff, even if underdeveloped compared to the top of the game x73.
Your story reminded me of an experience I had about 25 years ago. I was roto-tilling a garden plot at the house and must have jarred a kidney stone loose. A bit later it went into full PAIN mode and my wife drove me to the hospital in our only car - a Blazer with off-road suspension. Well the ride was about 45 minutes long and I tried every position I could in the front passenger seat, back seat, and back cargo area during those 45 minutes. Including laying over the top of the back seat with a let on each side of the seat back. I know I felt every single irregularity in the road -- including those particularly nasty areas where the lines are painted which raises the level of the pavement. :) Nothing helped and by the time we got to the hospital I had tears in my eyes and was quite pale. The only good thing that came out of the trip was that when I got to the emergency room they could tell I was in extreme pain and gave me a big ole shot of morphine before they worked with my wife to check me in. It took me months until I really enjoyed that stiff suspension once again.

Reactions: westwest888

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This week I caught a viral stomach flu at the airport. For those who haven't experienced it or it's been too long to remember, it feels like getting stabbed in the abdomen with a vegetable knife 10 times and lasts for 3 or 4 days.
PLEASE tell us that if you "lost it", it was over-the-side. The paint will clean up OK, not sure about getting the smell out of the interior.

And get well soon.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PLEASE tell us that if you "lost it", it was over-the-side. The paint will clean up OK, not sure about getting the smell out of the interior.

And get well soon.
Hah. If I lost it, it would have been out the bottom and the seats would no longer be pebble gray.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Tesla or Mercedes C300 air suspension isn't exactly plush. Don't think anyone makes an 'old Cadillac' suspension anymore. Trend over the years has always been a firmer/tighter ride because how cars handle gets people to buy them on test drives. People are certainly aren't testing over potholes to see how comfortable it is over the long-term...well I actually did that on test drives. :)

Even SUVs are pretty firm today. My Nissan Frontier truck was definitely firmer/ rougher than the Boxster standard suspension. The truck was fatiguing on long trips...large diameter tire bounce can make me sick after a while.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Having quite a few cars I disagree. My vw golf tdi has sport suspension ands it's what some would call an ecobox...its firmer. Go try a mercedes cla or audi s4. Comfort is a trade off with handling but the light weight, wide stance, large tires, and mid engine balance make this car far more comfortable AND better handling the others. If you want plush, you'd have to get something like a Honda accord, which handles like crap on a good day. Even then rough roads mean rough ride...its like complaining about tire noise when driving on a metal bridge.
Couldn't agree more about the Audi. My wife loves her S5 but it provides a far less comfortable ride than my 981S with PASM. I did a lot of riding in her S5 during the holidays, and I was disappointed in the ride comfort. On the plus side the S5 has a large trunk and decent back seat room which was important during the holidays.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's all relative. My S2000 feels rougher to me. If I want plush (rare and unusual) I'll take our Lexus.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
"It's not Your father's Oldsmobile." (better yet, try your father's Buick).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hah. If I lost it, it would have been out the bottom and the seats would no longer be pebble gray.
Yikes -- then I'd say take the car in for an oil change or something and "while you're at it, please detail the car".

My S2000 feels rougher to me.
Maybe because I do have X73, have not noticed a ride difference betwixt Boxster and S2000, just a dramatic quietness difference.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
oh the ride of the S4...

amazing grip = albeit different grip than the 981!

sorry about the blu belly OP - i am hoping this is a rare event making a sporty suspension a good all for 99% of the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts