Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a BGTS 6MT which I love and plan to keep for many years. I bought the Boxster because to me I prefer the look of the 981 as a convertible and I love top down driving! (It's strange because I prefer 981 convertibles and the 991 to be a coupe) I still watch videos and read about the Cayman. Some of them mention how different the Cayman drives when compared to the Boxster. I never test drove the Cayman but I still wonder how different does the Cayman drive and if the sound inside the cabin compares to the Boxster?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I own a BGTS 6MT which I love and plan to keep for many years. I bought the Boxster because to me I prefer the look of the 981 as a convertible and I love top down driving! (It's strange because I prefer 981 convertibles and the 991 to be a coupe) I still watch videos and read about the Cayman. Some of them mention how different the Cayman drives when compared to the Boxster. I never test drove the Cayman but I still wonder how different does the Cayman drive and if the sound inside the cabin compares to the Boxster?
With limited back to back experience, I didn't notice much of a difference during the World Roadshow events (3).

I went with the Boxster because I wanted the drop top. If it was going to be a race car only, I'd probably have gone with the Cayman because on paper it's "better" for racing where hundredths count.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
This decision really shouldn't have anything at all to do with driving dynamics unless you're getting your hands on a GT4. Beyond that, they're near as makes no difference. It's all about whether or not you want a convertible or think one looks nicer or something. All personal preference.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
+1 to Wild Weasel's comment. In fact to build on it a bit............I remember reading more than once where, in the right hands, a 987 Spyder could hit or slightly better a Cayman R times on a track. So, buy what floats your boat. I like Caymans for their style but I also love Boxster with the top down for looks. I just lean a tad more towards the coupe overall.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I've driven both the 981 Cayman and the Boxster. I noticed no difference in handling or performance between the two. Both had PSE and SC and PASM. The Cayman also had PTV. The Cayman's PSE was very muffled compared to the Boxster with the top down. Very muffled.

I much preferred the Boxster.

I also prefer the 991S as a coup vice a convertible. I drove that around the track too. It was awesome.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have driven both many times. I never noticed any difference in performance. I don't know about a GT4, but I don't think anyone could tell the difference unless you are driving at 97%. However, there is a BIG difference in sound if you drive the Boxster with the top down.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I really like both. I see more Boxsters around here and with the top down...wow! Looks amazing! Very exotic'ish. Top up, not so much. Then, I see certain lines/angles of my Cayman, just as nice. In the end, I'm more of a coupe type than roadster type.

I highly doubt there will be much difference felt but as SteveInNJ mentioned there's going to be a big difference in exhaust note with the top down in the Boxster. Boxster with PSE, forgetaboutit!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I owned a Boxster S. It was a great car. However, I prefer a Cayman because if the weather is nice enough to put the top down then I'm going to be on a motorcycle. :cheers:

·
Registered
534 Posts
The big difference between these two cars is not one of performance - ie: skidpad, 0-60, lap times, etc. It's an issue of looks, simplicity, and structural rigidity. Regardless of anecdotal claims, chopping the roof off absolutely weakens the structure of the car. The effect is relatively minor for most normal driving, though if you do a lot of HPDEs, the Cayman is the better performance option. For cruising around town and through the mountains, it effectively makes no difference.

Speaking for myself personally after owning a convertible for 5 years, I was ready for a change. I got sick of the extra maintenance and the wear/tear of the soft top. It was a pain to clean and will eventually develop wear marks and holes. I also was not a fan of the rate at which the interior gets dirty vs a hard top nor the threat of rain or other environmental contaminants on the very expensive interior. Sealing the deal was the fact I think the Cayman looks massively better in profile than the Boxster.

That said, for the occasional top down motoring, the convertible aspect is very nice. I just wasn't willing to give up the other strengths of the Cayman for it. YMMV.

Reactions: Spectre and jorr19

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
For what it's worth... they did not "chop the top off" on these cars. Rather, they added a rigid top on the Cayman. The car was designed from the ground up to be a convertible. I don't think there's any extra bracing or anything on the Boxster to compensate for any loss of rigidity. Sure, the Cayman is technically more rigid, but it's over and above the design, rather than the Boxster being a compromise.

·
4,105 Posts
and one other thing to add.... Even though I own a 981 BS and prefer this car over the Cayman. I love the Cayman too. You cannot go wrong with either car. Buying a Porsche is an emotional decision, not a rational one. Follow your heart.

·
Registered
534 Posts
For the first generation, you're probably right. Since then, the Cayman was developed as a unique body structure from the Boxster, not just a Boxster they added a hardtop to. Regardless, that's not really the point. Different strokes for different folks. The Boxster is a fine platform and it's easy to see why it's more popular than the Cayman. I personally just had different priorities than most, that's all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Both cars are excellent, as said, it's what you're looking for. For me, and given where I live (New England), I valued the rear visibility advantages of the coupe for the 90% of the time the top would be up, as well as the added storage. While I think the Boxster looks fantastic with the top down, I prefer the looks of the Cayman. Any performance gains are icing. So in order of importance for choosing the CGTS(on order):
  1. Rear visibility
  2. Looks
  3. Storage
  4. Slight performance benefit
Downside of Cayman for me is the higher price and missing the few times I'd drive top down.

·
4,105 Posts
It's not "technically" more rigid, its physically more rigid by a significant amount.

981 Boxster 23k NM/deg
981 Cayman 40k NM/deg

That's 74% more rigid, not an insignificant amount in the noise.
I agree. However, I could not tell the difference in handling or acceleration on the track between the Boxster and the Cayman and I was pushing both cars. It's like the difference in 10 HP between the models -not noticeable to me. But I admit I am a novice on the track too.

I drove a 400 hp 991S right after driving a 325hp 981 Cayman S. A little bit noticeable in acceleration but not as much as you would think. The Cayman was definitely noticeably better on the corners.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I agree. However, I could not tell the difference in handling or acceleration on the track between the Boxster and the Cayman and I was pushing both cars.
That wasn't the point. I was merely correcting WW that is was not a technicality but fact.

The fact you couldn't feel the difference (sorry about this) doesn't mean a professional driver couldn't. That's their job and I am sure they could.

Same thing about the 911S vs 981S. While a professional or factory driver can get a 7:38 ring time from a 991.1S and 7:55 from a 981S, that difference is huge and lap after lap adds up to huge differences in time. Because you (or I) might not feel it isn't really relevant but 17 seconds, lap after lap adds up very quickly

In other words, our ancedotal butt dynos don't really mean much over objective measures.

If you ever played golf you might understand this. Just because the common golf player might not notice a minor difference in club weights or balls, I am sure Tiger Woods could.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I enjoyed reading everyone's input. :) This is a great site!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
That wasn't the point. I was merely correcting WW that is was not a technicality but fact.

The fact you couldn't feel the difference (sorry about this) doesn't mean a professional driver couldn't. That's their job and I am sure they could.

Same thing about the 911S vs 981S. While a professional or factory driver can get a 7:38 ring time from a 991.1S and 7:55 from a 981S, that difference is huge and lap after lap adds up to huge differences in time. Because you (or I) might not feel it isn't really relevant but 17 seconds, lap after lap adds up very quickly

In other words, our ancedotal butt dynos don't really mean much over objective measures.

If you ever played golf you might understand this. Just because the common golf player might not notice a minor difference in club weights or balls, I am sure Tiger Woods could.
Nobody is arguing that the Cayman isn't more rigid and faster around a track. I think the point is that it's not a difference that us mere mortal non-racing-drivers can even feel so it's irrelevant to the decision making process for most people. They're both great cars on the street and on the track. Regular folks won't drive a Boxster and decide to get the Cayman because it feels too floppy to them.

There's plenty of points on which to make this decision. I just don't think the performance difference is once of them unless, as I said, you're getting a GT4 which is a whole different animal.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well as far as cars go, a boxster is a more thrilli g raw experience with top down. A cayman is more rigid and a better track toy....usually told to best keep boxster top up on track for safety reasons. People buying a cayman have a thing against top down driving and like to be more comfortable. Often, they never even try it, but rather dismiss the idea because sedan cages is all they ever been in (more reason to try something new IMO).

i do agree that if you have a motorcycle, it's the next level for "top down raw driving." It's definetly awesome to ride a motorcycle, but a bit too raw for some people. A convertible offers a nice balance. If you are a vivid motorcycle rider, certainly a boxster is not something I'd recommend. Really a motorcycle rider will have a hard time accepting a cayman at that.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i do agree that if you have a motorcycle, it's the next level for "top down raw driving." It's definetly awesome to ride a motorcycle, but a bit too raw for some people. A convertible offers a nice balance. If you are a vivid motorcycle rider, certainly a boxster is not something I'd recommend. Really a motorcycle rider will have a hard time accepting a cayman at that.
Riding a motorcycle has almost nothing to do with driving a car. Having 1.2 mm of dead cow between you and death has almost nothing in common with having a 3,000 pound steel cage and 12 airbags between you and a loaner car provided by your insurance company.

Reactions: BryantH
1 - 20 of 79 Posts