Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a set of 4 slightly used (one season) winter tires mounted on 99 boxster wheels for a good price ($1,100). There are varying opinions on this. First I need to purchase 17mm spacers for the rear tires so they align with the front. However, a Porsche dealer tells me that the rolling radius is different on these wheels and not recommended by Porsche. In fact, he says it my void my warranty. I know the Tire Pressure Monitors will not work, but this is ok with me for the winter months. I don't want to do anything that might damage the car. Does anyone have good information on this? Thanks, James

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not sure of the offset on the 99, but I use the turbo 18 wheels with snows from my 01 Boxster S on my 06 Cayman & have done so since 06.
No spacers, no issues.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
However, a Porsche dealer tells me that the rolling radius is different on these wheels and not recommended by Porsche.
Yes, the diameter of the early Boxster wheels/tires is smaller by about 0.3" than for the 987 versions of the Boxster/ Cayman. Whether this difference matters to you or would void the warranty, I can't say. But if it was me, I'd stay with the proper diameter tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts