Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am from Brunei and I have a question regarding about Boxster S and Cayman S engine and performance. I had ordered my Boxster S around September and currently awaiting for its arrival around end of Dec. At that time, there was no Boxster S for me to test drive so I end up test driving a Cayman S. Is there any difference in term of straight line power? I know CaymanS has extra 10hp more but my BoxsterS is manual and the Cayman S i test drove was fitted with PDK.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
IMO opinion they will be so close you won't be able to tell the difference. There have been great performance numbers posted for both Gen II Boxster S and Cayman S.

Enjoy your Boxster when it arrives!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
They are so close and like atlas said you probably won't feel the difference...

the only think you will feel is the quickness and smoothness of the pdk over the manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ok that is great to hear...when I test drove the Cayman S I was maintaining the rev below 4500rpm as I m reserving that "virgin" feeling for my own BoxsterS. haha..call me weird but I would like my first Porsche feel on my own car nevertheless the CaymanS was a great car to drive.. the shifting of PDK was faster then the Audi TT DSG that I test drove earlier on.. It took me almost 1 month to decide whether to get an Audi or Porsche..haha..I m glad I made the right choice!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Hi, I am from Brunei and I have a question regarding about Boxster S and Cayman S engine and performance. I had ordered my Boxster S around September and currently awaiting for its arrival around end of Dec. At that time, there was no Boxster S for me to test drive so I end up test driving a Cayman S. Is there any difference in term of straight line power? I know CaymanS has extra 10hp more but my BoxsterS is manual and the Cayman S i test drove was fitted with PDK.
I'm with Atlas.... THe fact that you're asking the question means,
unfortunately, that you are not going to be able to tell a difference.

And now (sigh) we come to.... there's the weight to think about also.
And I don't know that the final drive is the same, or all the gear ratios,
and there will be two different engines anyhow and they will not be
identical and neither of them is exactly the max power specified, and max
power really doesn't tell the story because it is one measurement at one
RPM value and the Cx is not the same and they may have different tires/
wheels fitted and and and.

In the end, they are both brilliant cars and you're going to have a grin
like you haven't had since you were a kid every time you sit in that seat.

For 99% of the people driving these cars, the question really is, do you want
a convertible or a coupe. And that's an easy question which you already
answered yourself when you ordered the Boxster rather than the Cayman.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
me and my wife had a crazy time deciding which model to get.. in the end because convertible car is our first priority so boxster S was chosen.. we will wait for the 2011 new gen Cayman

yea i m hoping a lot from this BoxsterS.. i want it to WOW me just like the first time when I got my nissan r34 10 years ago... and also i hope my choice of exterior and interior matching will be acceptable.....:)

just to share some info with you guys, i was told by the porsche marketing manager that in total there are less then 10 boxster and cayman first gen 987 in Brunei. Mine will be the first BoxsterS 987.2 in Brunei.. and a white boxster 987.2 will be landing together with my car as their showcar... i have no idea y porsche boxster is not so popular in my country. there are plenty of new z4 and slk around....oh did i mention that there is only one porsche showroom in brunei and their 2 units of 987.2 cayman n caymanS still remain unsold in the showroom for almost 6 months

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
As others have said the 10hp will not be missed and the biggest difference you'll notice will be the PDK.....but the manual is more fun especially as you can heel-toe :cheers:

You'll be very happy you took the Boxster over the TT as the TTRS is the only model that comes kind of close to the Cayman/Boxster.

Make sure you post pics up when your car is in your hands and congrats on your choice :cheers:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I am 99% sure the 10 HP difference is just marketing. Both most likely use identical engines and software.

·
Registered
159 Posts
From what I have read the engines are identical and the 10 HP is in softwear. Considering how Porsche tends to be conservative on a lot of things I would assume both are minimums and most will be a couple more.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
From what I have read the engines are identical and the 10 HP is in softwear.
It can be only the software as any other change would cost far too much to implement for the difference of 10hp. Nothing a remap won't sort out then ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts