Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious is all....I was finally getting around to installing my Rennsport-One racing pedals, which look nice btw...why is it that the brake pedal is steel while the clutch pedal is a hard plastic?

Now I understand it maybe a safety requirement of some sort, but why not make them both out of steel, after all you do use the clutch a lot in a manual car, is the price difference really that huge for Porsche not to warrant steel on both?

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's for weight savings. They are Not cheaping out. As long as it's up to the job (stress-wise) plastic is the best choice as it's ~1/2 the density of aluminum. I haven't heard of Any cluth pedals breaking on these cars.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
As Jeff says it's not cheaping out.

The clutch pedal only takes a certain amount of pressure from your foot before the clutch is dissengaged, where as the brake pedal needs to take as much pressure as you can put into it, which will vary depending on the braking conditions, drivers weight and strength.

So it is not an issue of fatigue strength but pure material strength required for the job of hand, and plastic is fine for the clutch, but steel is probably required for the brake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts