Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just in case this could interest anyone with brake overheating issues..

I just got installed larger air ducts for the front brakes of my boxster. These are the 991 GT2 air ducts and I got charged $35 a piece. According to the technician, they fit really well and there was no concern during the install. Sadly, the rear ones do NOT fit.

Also, as recommended by others on this forum, got Pagid yellow pads and Motul RBF 600...
Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for sharing. This was/is a popular mod in the 986 community, but they use the one from the GT3, costs less like $15 per piece.

Just to clarify, these ducts clip on to the lower control arms and replace the existing ones.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi,

Just in case this could interest anyone with brake overheating issues..

I just got installed larger air ducts for the front brakes of my boxster. These are the 991 GT2 air ducts and I got charged $35 a piece. According to the technician, they fit really well and there was no concern during the install. Sadly, the rear ones do NOT fit.

Also, as recommended by others on this forum, got Pagid yellow pads and Motul RBF 600...
Thanks!
Post part numbers for the ducts or it didn't happen! :gossip:

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
These mods for the front have been around for a while. What I'm thinking about is that the rear rotors for the S/GTS are the same diameter/thickness (thiner than with 987 S's) and when the car has PVT, I'm hearing stories of overheating. So, I'm trolling around for some ducting/something to help with the rear.
Actually, all this is somewhat premature for me, my car is still in customs and not yet delivered. When it comes in, I'm going to get under it and take some good photos of what is OEM and what potential mounting points look like. Stay tuned for that -- unless someone has already documented this for the community.

D

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I was watching the Chris Harris online video of the GT4, in particular when they had the car up on the lift. I noticed that the car had rear brake ducts that were mounted to the lower suspension point (not sure if they are technically called control arms or not). The ducts routed the air from under the car and on to the back side of the rear rotors. I was wondering if they would fit on my Cayman GTS, but seem to recall the rear suspension on the GT4 was unique to the car. However if they would fit they looked like they might be pretty effective for cooling the rear rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yep.. saw those.. attached screen shots from the video showing the vents and full rear underside.

They look like they might do the trick, but the problem will be how to mount them on the "regular" S/GTS suspension pieces..
When I get to take photos of the GTS and examine fitment, the solution maybe obvious -- or ruled out??

Anyone already have clean photos of Cayman/S/GTS rear suspension already??

In any event, it might be a fun project to fabricate additional mounts to allow fitment.
D

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Given how cheap these are, I'm a little surprised they weren't included on the car as standard. Is brake overheated really that little of an issue with the 981?

·
Registered
27 Posts
As I frequently participate in DEs, I used the brake ducts from the GT3 for my 997 already - though there is no overheating issue for the brakes (c'mon, we are talking PORSCHE here), this little upgrade at least gave me some additional piece of mind. Having said this, I had my 997 for 7 years with no overheating issue whatsoever before I swapped the brake ducts to those GT3 ones...Did I feel any difference ? I am afraid to say, no. So I guess, it is just nice to have them...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
REARS are much more troublesome than the fronts - on a 981 REAR cooling needs to (oddly, right?) be the focus...
Oddly indeed, I double-checked: This is definitely NOT what I hear from two other shops, all located on the much less religious ( left ) westside of the lake...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yep.. saw those.. attached screen shots from the video showing the vents and full rear underside.

They look like they might do the trick, but the problem will be how to mount them on the "regular" S/GTS suspension pieces..
When I get to take photos of the GTS and examine fitment, the solution maybe obvious -- or ruled out??

Anyone already have clean photos of Cayman/S/GTS rear suspension already??

In any event, it might be a fun project to fabricate additional mounts to allow fitment.
D
When I first watched the video that was one of the many items that caught my eye as well. The rear ducts look great, and its difficult to see how they are mounted. However where there's a will there's a way. Unfortunately it will be sometime before they are available.
The usual front duct replacements are the GT-3 front ducts which are about $35 a pair. The GT-2 Front Ducts are closer to $300 a pair. The GT-3 front ducts will add more air up front, that you may not notice at first on the track, but your rotors and calipers will appreciate the difference. I lost them once going off track at a past event,and the brakes began to fade very quickly. Like others here I add several cable ties since my car has been lowered with Bilsteins.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
LOL Laurent - check with our fellow local Cayman drivers (Reid) and you will see about the rear brakes. He ended up getting NEW REAR CALIPERS. He is the most experienced Cayman driver in the area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts