Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I will be replacing rotors in a couple of weeks when I go to Pagids for the summer DE season, a few simple questions that I have not seen addressed in other threads:

Since the calpers come off, any reason to replace the pad dampers?

Do any of you use locktite on the caliper bolts (yes, I will be using new bolts)? And if so, what kind of locktite?

Several threads mention "always" using new spring clips and pins; any reason for that, or is that just a dealership way to add $50 to a brake job? The last brake job I had to do it, since I had the old style pads, and the "997" pads have a differenct top profile........

I will assume that the Pagids won't have a place to put in the wear sensors, where do you suggest to tie them up if they are not connected.

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I don't think you have to replace the dampers, unless they look cracked or something - I didn't replace mine when I replaced my rotors. I do keep an extra set in the event I do need to replace them at some point though.

I also haven't replaced my original spring clips and pins - new ones might look nice and shiny (for a while) but I haven't seen a need to replace them yet either.

IIRC, I think I actually used a little anti-seize on my caliper bolts, rather than Loctite, since I wanted to make sure I could get them off in the future. They are pretty long bolts (length of thread engagement) which are torqued pretty tight to begin with (had to use a breaker bar to loosen the originals). I don't think that Porsche calls for it, and I certainly wouldn't use the "permanent" loctite on them.

I folded up and zip-tied my sensor wires to the brake lines.

BTW, nice articles on changing the rotors here:

Slotted Rotors - Articles and

Brake Rotor/Disc Replacement - Cayman Register

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
At the very least you should pull the dampers out and make sure that they are still in good condition. I've heard of situations where they've corroded so much that they were stuck onto the pistons and required some creative drilling to get them out.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pete / KS-CS,

Thanks for the replies!

That is a great write up on "the other" Cayman site. I've signed up, but don't spend much time surfing there.

I did the brakes last fall and the dampers seemed fine once I got the pads separated from them with a putty blade; do they just pull straight out (in theory)?

Regards,
David

·
Registered
621 Posts
......... and the dampers seemed fine once I got the pads separated from them with a putty blade; do they just pull straight out (in theory)?

Regards,
David
Probably obvious...but Be Careful not to pull the pistons out. You may have seen the recent thread on here where someone worked himself into a small mess. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have additioanl advice for a front pad change on an 09 CS? The dealer and another shop insists that the 09 requires new dampening plates (4), sensors (2), and the spring plate kit to go along with the OEM pads. My dad tells me I don't need to replace all of this. It's my first brake pad change job and my first track day (DE) later this week. I just don't want to mess it up and miss DE. (my dad will be here to help)

I intend to reconnect the sensor to the new OEM pad if it isn't worn. But I am also considering after-market pads that emits less dust. I find myself cleaning the wheels instead of playing with my dog. eeks! Any recommendations? How's the EBC Brakes Redstuff?

Once I get some experience, I plan to get a set of Pagid's for track days next season. But I need to learn how to do this whole thing first. Pretty overwhelming.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Does anyone have additioanl advice for a front pad change on an 09 CS? The dealer and another shop insists that the 09 requires new dampening plates (4), sensors (2), and the spring plate kit to go along with the OEM pads. My dad tells me I don't need to replace all of this. It's my first brake pad change job and my first track day (DE) later this week. I just don't want to mess it up and miss DE. (my dad will be here to help)

I intend to reconnect the sensor to the new OEM pad if it isn't worn. But I am also considering after-market pads that emits less dust. I find myself cleaning the wheels instead of playing with my dog. eeks! Any recommendations? How's the EBC Brakes Redstuff?

Once I get some experience, I plan to get a set of Pagid's for track days next season. But I need to learn how to do this whole thing first. Pretty overwhelming.

Thanks for your help!!!
Your Dad is correct - you don't need to replace any of those parts unless they are defective/broken/worn out. If you have have worn through a pad activating your brake sensor (getting a warning light on dash) then you will have to replace the affected sensors.

Note: applying Wheel Wax will at least make it easier cleaning the brake dust off your wheels.

Good luck with the DE . . . prepare to become addicted. :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I removed my pad dampers all together, they are heavy BTW. I am not sure what purpose they have. Is there something I am missing? Why does Porsche include them in the first place?

Tomasz

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I removed my pad dampers all together, they are heavy BTW. I am not sure what purpose they have. Is there something I am missing? Why does Porsche include them in the first place?

Tomasz
I think they do reduce brake squeal, when they are adherent to the pads. During the track season when I am switching back and forth between street and track pads, I usually don't bother with them.

In the winter, I apply anti-squeal goop between the damper and pads and it seems to make a difference. That is why they come from the factory with an adhesive backing - which makes it a little more difficult to remove your pads the first time (hint: use a paint scraper to separate the damper from the pad).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.