Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read all the threads about changing rotors and pads, and viewing several youtube videos, I felt I could handle the job. Have new rotors, pads, anti vibration shims, all new hardware from Pelican. Plunged in yesterday, all went well until I encountered one of the anti vibration pucks stuck in the caliper. The others came out easily, but one seems frozen. In attempting to pry it out, I broke the thin metal shim connecting the two pucks, figuring I could rotate it and break it free. But no luck. All other parts showed little corrosion, and came apart easily, even the phillips screws holding the rotors. I will try to get a phillips screwdriver in there and try to rotate it, but...i wonder if stepping on the brake pedal would push the puck out of the caliper, or has it been frozen for some time? Any suggestions most welcome, as I am stymied.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Is the the caliper still installed with the rotor in place? If yes, insert the thinnest old pads you took out and press on the brake. See if the pads move. You may have to remove the caliper and take it to a bench in order to free the stuck piece.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have worried about that in the past as well on my last 987. The previous owner had never replaced the brake dampers and they were difficult to remove. Of course it's best to take them out and use anti seize on the pucks at each brake pad change, but that's not an option now.
However if they are not mangled at this point, you can just leave them in "as is", and put the new pads in. Some people remove the dampers permanently when using thicker race pads.

Otherwise as stated above, you would have to remove the caliper. Videos on you tube.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To follow up: Had to remove the caliper and soak the frozen puck first with wd40 (didn't help), then with a John Deere penetrating fluid which broke it loose. Cleaned things up, reassembled, and now waiting for a power bleeder and catch bottle to arrive. These brakes would be really easy to replace if nothing is frozen!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts