Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow members,

As you're all aware after washing our beloved cars within a few minutes the brake disc's begin to show signs of surface rust. As normal as it may be, I find that it takes a good 20 minutes drive (when dried) to bring the disc's back to shinny silver again.

My concern is I wash the car weekly and by doing so I can hear the brake pads grinding away for 20 mins before everything returns to normal. Is this reducing the life of the brake pads? It sounds as if the pads are being sandpapered. :helpme:

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
From my experience trying to file down the edges of my track pads to reduce squealing, I doubt that rubbing a little rust off the rotors is causing any significant wear on the pads (compared to actual braking) - it probably sounds worse than it is.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You could do what I do. After washing the car when I leave the driveway I apply alight load to the brake peddle for 1 or 2 blocks and the problem is gone. Haven't had it continue for 20 minutes. Again, I drive off immediately after washing.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You could do what I do. After washing the car when I leave the driveway I apply alight load to the brake peddle for 1 or 2 blocks and the problem is gone. Haven't had it continue for 20 minutes. Again, I drive off immediately after washing.
Yeah... this is what I do. Never let wet rotors sit for long. If you wait overnight the pads will bond to the rotors.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah... this is what I do. Never let wet rotors sit for long. If you wait overnight the pads will bond to the rotors.
Plus you can dry the remenants of water drops when you get back and the car will be spotless. Dragging the brake lightly causes heat that helps dry the caliper also...:burnout:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True true, I'm just going to have to drive around the block after I wash it.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I had my car sitting for 2 weeks after a wheel wash. Big mistake. I have this nice black impression/outline of a brake pad on all 4 rotors.

12000 miles and 2 track days later, I can still see the pad marks on a 4 rotors!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Drive away is a good answer. I wash my wheels and wheel wells first and then the rest of the car. I take my leaf blower and dry off the wheel and brake assembly after washing the wheels and again after washing the car. You can also hit the assembly with a little brake cleaner that will help clean and dry the area.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
20 mins seem a bit too long to me. It doesnt take me 5 mins to dry the brakes and remove the rust!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Drive away is a good answer. I wash my wheels and wheel wells first and then the rest of the car. I take my leaf blower and dry off the wheel and brake assembly after washing the wheels and again after washing the car. You can also hit the assembly with a little brake cleaner that will help clean and dry the area.
I'd like to second kehr's approach here. I use the leaf blower technique as well and it reduces the surface rust substantially.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my car sitting for 2 weeks after a wheel wash. Big mistake. I have this nice black impression/outline of a brake pad on all 4 rotors.

12000 miles and 2 track days later, I can still see the pad marks on a 4 rotors!
I did the same. Made the mistake of washing the car before going away for a week with work. Not a good idea - took days before the brakes settled down. I like the leaf blower idea - don't have one but an old hair dryer would do the same. Actually, I don't have one of those either ... :hilarious:

Neil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts