Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pagid Yellow's after approximately 35 hours of track driving.

Very Impressive. Still have more left. Installed new pads anyway since I had it apart.
pads.JPG

·
Registered
339 Posts
35hours! How is that possible. At 5 25 minute session per track day, that's greater than 16 track days. I got maybe half of that when the pad got to be the same thickness as the backing.

Pagid Yellow's after approximately 35 hours of track driving.

Very Impressive. Still have more left. Installed new pads anyway since I had it apart.

View attachment 52851

·
Registered
208 Posts
I get the feeling you dont use your brakes at the track how i use my brakes at the track...

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
That pad, the one you claim has more left, would not last a day at the tracks I frequent. Good that you replaced them. At that thickness you are transferring more heat into the caliper and fluid which could lead to unwanted effects.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That pad, the one you claim has more left, would not last a day at the tracks I frequent. Good that you replaced them. At that thickness you are transferring more heat into the caliper and fluid which could lead to unwanted effects.
That's what I thought and wanted to change them before my next track event. My son however, pulled out a special measuring device and surmised the pad actually has 40% of the material left. An optical illusion he told me.

As far as hours go, I just recalculated..........I now realized I only had 14 days on those pads not 16. However, I had a 70 mile round trip commute to track.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
For the 981 crowd, I had a local to me, 3R Racing in Denver, fabricate a set of Ti shields to fit the front (& rear) calipers.
I'll try to post a photo, but these can extend the useful service life of "thin" pads by helping to slow heat transfer from thin pads to the caliper pistons.
I suggested 3R make up some extra sets of front pads for anyone interested - they had a couple of 981's in the shop the shields might be going on, but they may have some extras left over.
You can Google "3R Denver" or try 3R Racing, Red Line Synthetic Oil, Denver Colorado, SCCA World Challenge, McLaren MP4 12C FIA GT3 race cars, Porsche club racing, SCCA Club Racing, NASA Club Racing, Vintage racing, RMVR, SVRA, race car fabrication, race engine, race parts

·
Revhead
371 Posts
I get the feeling you dont use your brakes at the track how i use my brakes at the track...
Ditto. If you still have that much pad left after 14 track days, you could probably get away with using stock pads and not have to put up with the hassle of the extra dust, noise, and rotor wear of the yellows.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've always wondered about this as a few reports say the Ti shield actually accelerates pad wear. They insulate the pistons and fluid(primary benefit is not boiling the fluid) but the heat has to go somewhere and remains in the pads. Do you have actual experience with these?

For the 981 crowd, I had a local to me, 3R Racing in Denver, fabricate a set of Ti shields to fit the front (& rear) calipers.
I'll try to post a photo, but these can extend the useful service life of "thin" pads by helping to slow heat transfer from thin pads to the caliper pistons.
I suggested 3R make up some extra sets of front pads for anyone interested - they had a couple of 981's in the shop the shields might be going on, but they may have some extras left over.
You can Google "3R Denver" or try 3R Racing, Red Line Synthetic Oil, Denver Colorado, SCCA World Challenge, McLaren MP4 12C FIA GT3 race cars, Porsche club racing, SCCA Club Racing, NASA Club Racing, Vintage racing, RMVR, SVRA, race car fabrication, race engine, race parts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
. . . . Do you have actual experience with these?
Yes, on the 987 platform.

. . I've always wondered about this as a few reports say the Ti shield actually accelerates pad wear. . ..
Well, . . . can't intelligently comment on the totality of thermodynamic heat transfers, but . . . . I guess for me, I would be wondering what would I prefer to run out of 1st?
(a) Effective braking from a recognized consumable, the brake pad; or
(b) a soft, inconsistent or even failing brake peddle, due to fluid boiling off.

Which one would you choose? I think I'd go for the Ti shield.
Pagid Yellow Front pads on the 981 are going for, what @ $400+ as set.

When they get down to @ 1/3rd +/-, what do you do? With the shields I think you can get another 2-3 HPDE's but Foo_Fighter, YMMV.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, I would probably sacrifice the pads too. In fact I have a set where the material is about the same thickness as the backing. They are also crumbling a bit at the edges. Too afraid to use them. I would probably use them with the Ti shields though. Maybe I'd only get a set for the rear as they seem to wear faster than the fronts and start out thinner to begin with.

Yes, on the 987 platform.

When they get down to @ 1/3rd +/-, what do you do? With the shields I think you can get another 2-3 HPDE's but Foo_Fighter, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
FWIW, PCA's National minimum tech standards require at least 3/16ths (approx 5mm) of pad material to pass tech for a PCA DE. As an easy gauge, if the pad thickness is less than the thickness of the backing plate, it fails. My Region requires no less than 50% of new pad thickness to pass DE tech. There are good reasons for those requirements. IMO, brakes are a really bad system to compromise to save a few bucks.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Had a conversation with one of the guys at Giro today about another matter and asked him about the T. shields which they sell. They will not claim that the shields help the pads to last longer but they believe that the shields allow the pads to be used a little longer than usual because they help keep the heat from thinner pads transferring into the calipers. I'm currently running with PFC #11's on the rear and they are holding up very well so far.
Incidentally, I was running with a guy a week ago who drives a 987. He was doing some measurements of caliper temps with and w/o PSM on. The rears were running 40 degrees cooler with PSM off.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Just had my car inspected as part of a complimentary service inspection at Porsche of the Main Line. 7mm left on fronts and 8mm left on rears. Pretty good after 17,350 miles. Porsche service manager said new is 10mm. Replace at 3-4 mm. DMV limit is 2mm. Just posting as a reference point for others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts