Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the rotor wear limit, and the original rotor thickness, for both front and rear rotors on the base 981 with steel brakes?

Searched, but can not find. I believe it may be stamped on the rotors, but I can't see it and can't take the wheels off now to look closer...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts

[TR]
[TD]Rotor Thickness[/TD]
[TD]Original[/TD]
[TD]Minimum[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cayman Front - 298mm Dia.[/TD]
[TD]24 mm[/TD]
[TD]22 mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cayman Rear - 299mm Dia.[/TD]
[TD]20 mm[/TD]
[TD]18 mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cayman S Front - 318mm Dia.[/TD]
[TD]28 mm[/TD]
[TD]26 mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cayman S Rear - 299mm Dia.[/TD]
[TD]24 mm[/TD]
[TD]22 mm[/TD]
[/TR]

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Arter!

Edit: Arter, are you sure these are not 987 specs? Although the rear spec seems possible, I am measuring approximately 27.2mm on the fronts, so with the lip, they had to be around 28mm or so new. I have 35k miles on the car. I remeasured several times with digital calipers so I am confident of the measurement.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
i saw that the rear 981S brakes were the same as the 981-base... e.g. 299mm by 20mm... this from GatorBite on the "other" Cayman website.
I'd like it to be 24 mm think for the 981S/GTS...
D

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
My 2015 cayman GTS has (measured) 330 x 28 fronts and 299 x 20 ( glup only 20....) rears.
It looks like the 24 thickness on the rears was from the 987 models.

I would guess the 981 base rears are also 299 x 20 mm.

Since you measured 27.2 mm on your base fronts, you must have 28 mm starting thickness.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
OK.. rears are, in fact, 20mm thick.. lets start looking for ways to help keep them "cool"...
been doing "search" for brake cooling and find a lot for 987's... but not much directly for 981's, much less C-GTS with PVT...
Anticipating a DE or two, looks like higher temp fluid might be "gotta have"... and then work from that.
Interesting that none of the video reviews, that I can recall, mentioned the rear's getting overly hot -- maybe the idea is to do massive slides like Chris Harris to avoid heating up the rear brakes?? hehehe

Don

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carl, yes, it is but I can not see it.

Ok, I queried a friendly dealer who pulled a set off the shelf and read the spec directly.

981 base steel brakes:

Front min. thickness is 26mm, I expect new they were 28mm
Rear min. thickness is 18mm, I expect new they were 20mm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts