Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Brake service light on after pad replacement

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  T-Design 
#1 ·
I just replaced the front brake pads on my 2005 Boxster S. I put ceramic pads on not the OEM iron pads. The car only has 38k miles but i replaced the rotors also. I reused the brake sensors because they looked fine but my brake service light is now on. I rechecked the sensor install and it’s good. Would the cealer need to reset this message given i had the sensors disconnected?

#2 ·
Don't know about "ceramic" pads, but the pad wear sensor definitely WILL NOT WORK with track pads. My shop just tied off the sensors out of the way. It's been like this for 2 or 3 years and 8 or 10 sets of pads (mostly Performance Friction but some Pagid) and fell sure about my statement, at least for my cayman and my pads.

If someone knows a work-around, I'd like to know it.

#3 ·
Ceramic or OEM, no difference AFA sensors. Some aftermarket pads don't have the notch for sensors so, if you decide to use them, you'll need to use a work around like described. I once created a bypass using the old sensor's connector to create a loop-back with the two wires.
But that wasn't OP's problem. Sounds like one or more sensors were damaged on removal from the old pads. I destroyed one due to it being stuck in the old pad and bought a replacement on Amazon for a few $$$.
I don't think it requires a PIWIS or Durametric reset to clear the warning, but I honestly don't remember.

#6 ·
Just say no to sensors. Short circuit the wires and tie as far from the brakes as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.