Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Brake squeal - warranty item?

8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  wasupdu 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Cayman S that's well within the CPO (and original) warranty. When coming to a stop it literally sounds like a school bus. I've tried hard stops and no luck.

There's plenty of "meat" left on both the front and rear pads. Will the dealer warranty this or should I take it to an indy shop?

thanks for your help.

EDIT: Purchased the vehicle CPO from an out of state dealer 4,000 miles ago (38,000 miles total). CPO warranty expires in late 2021.

#2 ·
couple things...
do you know "what" pads are on the car? OEM pads don't squeal, but (some/many) competition pads do. (when I have my pagid' on, they sound off until they get really up to temp.).

second-- sometimes, a small rock gets stuck right at the pad/rotor interface and can make the worse sound. Ask me how I know. You have to inspect and pick the rocks out. In a bind, put it in reverse, with slight braking and you might be able to nudge a rock out.

third -- do you see any scoring on the rotors??

for a normal car, you shouldn't have this kind of noise.
D

#4 ·
couple things...
OEM pads don't squeal, but (some/many) competition pads do.
The car was CPO from a Porsche dealer, so I assume the pads are stock. The rotors don't look scored either. I'll try your reverse trick, otherwise it looks like I'll probably just end up replacing the pads. Thanks for chiming in.

#3 ·
Pads and rotors wouldn't be covered under the CPO warranty; other "non-wearing" components of the braking system such as master cylinder would be. If you had just bought the car, and 10 miles down the road discovered the noise, there would have been a good chance the selling dealer (and MAYBE even a local dealer) would have fixed it. 4000 miles later, not much chance of that happening...it's almost certainly pads and/or rotors, and these are normal wear items.

#6 ·
No probably not a warrantee item. However, they are not designed to squeal. Take it to your local Porsche dealer and complain. If they can't fix it, under warrantee, then write to Porsche of North America and complain. If you make enough noise I think they will fix it. No pun intended. Good luck.

#7 ·
My cpo Boxster s was squealing when I got it. The dealer said it is normal. No scoring of the rotor and the pads measured within spec for Porsche CPO standard. My local dealer also told me it's normal. Some hard braking helps, but the squeal returns.

#9 ·
I had/have the same issue. When I brought to my local Porsche dealer it's a lip buildup on the rotor edge classified as "normal wear". This is NOT covered under warranty or CPO.

I can find the exact description and comment on my paperwork from Porsche if necessary. There are no problems with your brakes functionally.

#10 ·
Functionally they are fine, which is why I've just learned to tune them out. New brakes plus rotors are $1100 for the fronts at my dealer. Hardly worth replacing for just an annoyance.

A brochure, for new Porsche owners, that I got from Porsche actually states that brake noise IS normal, so...

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
matt2ace thanks for your response. I definitely should have worded it differently, so I apologize. I purchased the 5 year/50K "Porsche Scheduled Maintenance Plan Agreement" at a $2600 price tag. Consequently, I've never paid a dime at the dealership for an annual oil change. Note, the "PLAN AGREEMENT" states it does not cover "... mechanical breakdown repairs, hoses, brake pads and linings, tires and wiper blades..." Therefore, nowhere does it say replacement brake fluid isn't covered. That said, shouldn't brake fluid replacement be covered in the plan just like oil, oil filters, etc.... changes.

#17 ·
matt2ace thanks for your response. I definitely should have worded it differently, so I apologize. I purchased the 5 year/50K "Porsche Scheduled Maintenance Plan Agreement" at a $2600 price tag. Consequently, I've never paid a dime at the dealership for an annual oil change. Note, the "PLAN AGREEMENT" states it does not cover "... mechanical breakdown repairs, hoses, brake pads and linings, tires and wiper blades..." Therefore, nowhere does it say replacement brake fluid isn't covered. That said, shouldn't brake fluid replacement be covered in the plan just like oil, oil filters, etc.... changes.
Brake fluid flush is every 20k miles, should be included.

#13 ·
Here comes the usual public service announcement: "hard braking" to bed in your pads needs to be done from extremely high speeds, meaning triple digits in MPH units. The operative effect is an exponential one, same reason it takes twice as long to brake to a stop from ~80 MPH versus ~60 MPH.

I have never seen brakes that couldn't be quieted down with a few hard braking cycles from 100 MPH down to 30 MPH or so. I'm not advocating that this be done anywhere except on a track, but: for better or for worse, that's what you need to do.

#20 ·
I ended up just replacing the front pads and I'll probably do the rears this weekend since I bought those pads too. I ended up paying about $200 for all 4 pads and swapped out the fronts in about 30 minutes. After you do the first one and get a feel for things, taking off the wheel is seriously the most time consuming part. While the performance may not have suffered with the squeal, to me it's well worth the $200 to get rid of that awful noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.