Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do front brakes and pads last on a Cayman S (2007)? Also, life for the stock tires? I am looking at a used 2007 Cayman S, and the dealer (Porsche) says they replaced the front brake rotors, pads, and tires. Seems early to me, but maybe not.

- Phil

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I think once every 2500 miles or so....oh wait I was thinking about the Veyron sorry....

It all depends how you drive it...tires last about 10-20k with the average closer towards the 20k. Brakes I'm not sure of...how many miles on the car?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
How long do front brakes and pads last on a Cayman S (2007)? Also, life for the stock tires? I am looking at a used 2007 Cayman S, and the dealer (Porsche) says they replaced the front brake rotors, pads, and tires. Seems early to me, but maybe not.

- Phil
Given the nature of the car and its owners, there is probably a pretty wide variation depending on how it has been driven; but, as a general rule, I would think that the tires last 15-20K miles on average. I would guess that the brake pads should probably last anywhere from 20-40K miles; a couple of track/DE weekends can significantly reduce their life expectancy.

·
Registered
569 Posts
As the prior poster noted, it largely depends on driver.

Regular track junkie: 5-7K miles
Average weekend cruiser: 15k tires; 20K+ on brakes

IIRC, if the car is CPO, the certification process requires replacement of key components with less than 50% life remaining. So, if the car had seen real use, it seems conceivable that the brakes / rotors could have been replaced. As requested, what were the miles? Also, if you're serious, ask the dealer to provide a copy of the CPO inspection report (assuming there is one). I've seen a few and they usually show the measurement of brakes, tires etc and whether they required replacement.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think once every 2500 miles or so....oh wait I was thinking about the Veyron sorry....

It all depends how you drive it...tires last about 10-20k with the average closer towards the 20k. Brakes I'm not sure of...how many miles on the car?
23,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts

- Phil
Ask the dealer if the car was tracked and see if you get what seems like an honest response. You can also ask for the number of the previous owner. I did that once when looking at a used Porsche at my local dealer and they were OK with it as was the previous owner. If it was tracked the brakes will wear much quicker as others have said. Then you can decide if you want a car that has been tracked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My original Michelin pilot sports (19") lasted 12k miles.
religious air pressure checks, no track days.
Fronts will probably go another 5k.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brake life? 20,000 miles or so seems awfully short, but if they did replace pads (and rotors) if less than 50% life, I can see that. I am told the car passed all CPO checks. It just is not CPO, due to cost, and 1.5 years of remaining warranty on car.

- Phil

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Brake life? 20,000 miles or so seems awfully short, but if they did replace pads (and rotors) if less than 50% life, I can see that. I am told the car passed all CPO checks. It just is not CPO, due to cost, and 1.5 years of remaining warranty on car.

- Phil
I have been told that it costs the dealer $2,000 to make a car CPO (don't know if that is their cost or paid to Porsche). If interested you might ask if they would negotiate on that in some way if possible.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer claimed $3,000 to make it a CPO. At that price, the car gets out of my comfort zone for purchase price, unless they cut the asking price back enough to compensate.

- Phil

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sounds like you're not being aggresive enough. I'd ask if the car has been tracked. Not a deal breaker for me but you need to know. Then tell them what you are willing to pay for the car WITH CPO.

You don't know till ya ask

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Phil,
We cannot see that car fax without paying. What does it say?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2007 non-S, bought new in June 2007 with 180 miles on it. I have 33K on it now, and have never tracked it. Sometimes I drive a bit hard, but I also commute to work and try to avoid braking unless it's fun, which in commuting it usually isn't. Last spring, at 2 years of ownership and 23K miles, it needed new rear tires but the fronts were ok - but I had used snow tires both winters, so it's probably more like 14K on the tires. I just had it serviced (battery died) and my local independent shop said "50% wear" on brakes.

So the notion that at 23K it needed tires and brakes were over 50% worn is not at all worrisome to me.
I was expecting a call that I needed pads all around, and the 50% was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me see if I can try and get the contents of the CarFax to format reasonably well here. I put in bold questions marks. Maybe not a big deal, maybe a yellow flag?

Ownership History
The number of owners is estimated Owner 1

Year purchased 2007
Type of owner CARFAX One Owner Vehicle History Personal
Estimated length of ownership 2 yrs. 2 mo.
Owned in the following states/provinces Nevada
Estimated miles driven per year ---
Last reported odometer reading 23,020
Title History
CARFAX guarantees the information in this section Owner 1

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt | Fire | Flood | Hail | Lemon Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.
Additional History
Not all accidents / issues are reported to CARFAX Owner 1

Total Loss
No total loss reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Structural / Frame Damage
No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback
No indication of an odometer rollback.

No Issues Indicated
Accident / Damage
No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall
No recalls still require repair.

No Recalls Reported
Tell us what you know about this vehicle
Glossary
Detailed History

Owner 1
Purchased: 2007
Type: Personal
Where: Nevada
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 7/31/07 - 10/19/09
(2 yrs. 2 mo.)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
04/25/2007 16 Bill Pearce Motors
Reno, NV
775-826-2100
Bill Pearce Motors Reno, NV your premier Honda, BMW, and Volvo dealership Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, Auburn - (775) 789-7999
ww.billpearcemotors.com Vehicle offered for sale
04/27/2007 Bill Pearce Motors
Reno, NV
775-826-2100
Bill Pearce Motors Reno, NV your premier Honda, BMW, and Volvo dealership Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, Auburn - (775) 789-7999
Pre-delivery inspection completed
07/31/2007 223 Nevada
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lisle, IL
Title #NV002007614-1 Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
Registered as lease vehicle
CARFAX Xpert
Don't be confused by the two locations in this record. The title was held in Lisle, Illinois but the car was registered to be driven in Nevada.
08/14/2007 Nevada Motor Vehicle Dept. Reno, NV Registration issued or renewed
Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location
08/27/2007 Bill Pearce Motors
Reno, NV
775-826-2100
Bill Pearce Motors Reno, NV your premier Honda, BMW, and Volvo dealership Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, Auburn - (775) 789-7999 Vehicle serviced
12/04/2007 6,665
Bill Pearce Motors
Reno, NV
775-826-2100
Bill Pearce Motors Reno, NV your premier Honda, BMW, and Volvo dealership Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, Auburn - (775) 789-7999 Electrical system checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked

03/07/2008 10,302 Bill Pearce Motors
Reno, NV
775-826-2100
Bill Pearce Motors Reno, NV your premier Honda, BMW, and Volvo dealership Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, Auburn - (775) 789-7999 Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
05/23/2008 Nevada
Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration issued or renewed
08/29/2008 Nevada
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Reno, NV Registration issued or renewed
Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location
03/26/2009 20,230 Bill Pearce Motors Reno, NV
775-826-2100
Bill Pearce Motors Reno, NV your premier Honda, BMW, and Volvo dealership Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, Auburn - (775) 789-7999 Anti-theft/keyless remote replaced
Electrical system checked

10/19/2009 23,006 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Pacific Region
Listed as a fleet vehicle
CARFAX Xpert
Dealers routinely buy and sell millions of used vehicles at auction each year.
10/27/2009 Online Listing Vehicle offered for sale
11/03/2009 23,020 California
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
02/03/2010 Porsche Cars North America No recalls open for repair
CARFAX Xpert

- Phil

·
Registered
146 Posts
The different locations for title and registration might just be because the car was leased. The leasee would never receive the title...this would go to the leasor, which would be some credit agency located anywhere.

Other than the high initial miles put on the car the first 6 months, I'm not sure you can extract anything meaningful form the other items you highlighted. Thise entries could mean a number of things and you'll have no way to figure it out unless you are able to make contact with the previous owner as suggested above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts