Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced front and rear pads and rotors. All the new pads had the hole drilled in them for wear sensors. The textar pads that came off all had the probe-type wear sensors, but the new Porsche front sensors were a pad-type that looked like they would never even touch the rotor. The new rear sensors were URO brand that were probe-type. I just repaired the one front that needed repair and tied them off for now. How is the pad-type supposed to work?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Poorsche x, I didn't think the pad would go in deep enough to be at the rotor level. In fact, the clip portion looked too fat to even fit in the slot in the Akebono pads. At any rate I didn't want to try installing one and ruin a $50 sensor- I just returned 'em.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks Poorsche x, I didn't think the pad would go in deep enough to be at the rotor level. In fact, the clip portion looked too fat to even fit in the slot in the Akebono pads. At any rate I didn't want to try installing one and ruin a $50 sensor- I just returned 'em.
I originally bought Akebono pads. I sent them back due to the sensors not fitting. No big deal for most but if a system is in place on my car, I demand it be functional.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I never allow my pads to wear more than 50%. Rotors will virtually never need replacement (unless they warp) and calipers will never need rebuilding, if you keep fresh pads and bleed fluid often.

Wear sensors are not needed, if you do this.

Remember, the pad itself is the only thermal insulation between a red-hot rotor and both the pistons and fluid in the calipers.
Unless it's a race car, rotors and calipers should last nearly forever, if used with thick pads and fresh fluid. And no racer worth anything world run with thin pads. He knows that would cause early failure of rotors and caliper piston seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.