Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a stupid question, but I'm serious. Using the ball of my foot applies force more directly, but somehow it seems that my release is too slow. OTOH, using my toes lets me modulate better and seems to let me get off the second pedal quicker.

As long as we're talking pedals and feet, what part of your foot do you use for the accelerator, the brake, and the clutch?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use the upper left portion of the ball of my right foot for brake. My toe is close enough to the pedal that I can use it to tweak pressure via the sole of my shoe.

If I know I'll need to blip the throttle I will use mostly the edge of my shoe so that I can twist my ankle to touch the throttle with the right edge of my shoe.

As for "speed" off the brakes, I don't worry about it because release is always methodical. I don't ever yank my foot off the brake, nor do I jab into the gas suddenly. Same reason I don't care about longer shifter throw. It's all just a way to unsettle the suspension.

Clutch is ball of left foot pretty squarely. I rotate my ankle on the way up to modulate once it gets a little engagement instead of trying to do that with leg strength.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Yeah, it will depend largely on transmission type and/or if you are shifting gears as well while braking. Left edge of my right foot to allow rev matching.

Release is always consciously* very progressive and I can only offer a strange suggestion that is counter intuitive, but it really worked for me. If you feel like your return on to throttle is lagging a bit and you can't help yourself with it, try to trailbrake into that corner slightly past turn in point. Crazy, but it really did work for me - specifically on one corner on the track. I never understood why I was later on throttle than any other one, but trailbreaking did the trick - and it even made for smoother transition to boot.

*______

When I legally change my name to Lewis Hamilton, it will be instinctive ;)

Reactions: CGH3

·
Registered
67 Posts
Actually thinking about pedal actuation is a good thing. The next question I recommend you ask is what do you do with your left foot. If you have two pedals and two feet, why do you use one for each pedal separately? If you have three pedals why not share the middle one with both feet. Takes some practice, but your reaction time will be much improved, even if just working through congested traffic slow or fast. For autoX it is the bomb.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The white circle is where your right foot goes. End of discussion!

Light Font Technology Electronic device Gadget

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes, I pretty much agree with westweat888. Sometimes I even find my foot centered over the right edge of the brake so it can roll back onto the gas smoothly and quickly. Also importantly, what kind of shoes do you wear. A good pair of these will help with the precision and feel of your pedal actuations. Super comfy too.

Shoe Footwear Sneakers Black White

·
Registered
52 Posts
It really does seem to depend on how many pedals you have, no?

The brake with 6MT isn't actually big enough for my whole foot to fit on it. I suspect the same is true for most.
Agreed, I was referring more to using the inside ball and big toe for brake activation allowing me to rotate outside of foot for throttle blip. I must confess though that the auto blipping feature seems less and less un-natural. :naughty:

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.