Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I looked for a topic about pucks in windshield but didn't find anything so I do hope I'm posting this is the right place.

So I just got my 2015 Boxster GTS order last week and after 1 week of driving, I've got at least 40 to 50 pucks in the windshield already. Is this normal? For a $1200.00 windshield, is this what I should expect? It's unreal.. the windshield looks like its 2 years old already.. Right now, the snow is gone from the streets and the streets are dry. Yes, there is dirt brushed along the street somewhat but does it not make sense that the paint would have gotten pounded as well? Not a scratch! The headlights are flawless as well.. this does not make sense to me at all..

I've already had Porsche patch 2 holes in the first 3 days or so.. Any suggestions or insight to this would be appreciated. I'm already getting discouraged from even driving it.. I know this stuff is expected but I've never owned a car that had this much damage to any glass at all in so little time..

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Pucks? Do you mean small holes from small impacts? If so, that's pretty strange. How does your front bumper look? I'd assume that would be pitted pretty badly if there is that much kicked-up debris. I have 14k miles on my car, and the windshield has no pitting at all but my wheels do and I'm sure my front end would be a mess if I didn't have Xpel on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's my issue right there. No pucks at all on the front bumper or anywhere else on the paint at all. I also read that the paint on these cars are fairly thin to begin with and I've got nothing on the front headlights or paint at all. The pucks are indeed holes in the windshield due to impacting pebbles or dirt. Its amazing that In less than a week, the windshield has well over 40 spots where pin hole or larger size pieces of glass are no longer there. Is it possible that the windshield is defective? It just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the feedback Johnnyquest. Nice ride by the way.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Somebody near you have a pellet gun? With no damage at all to the front end then it would seem that someone is targeting your car.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Somebody near you have a pellet gun? With no damage at all to the front end then it would seem that someone is targeting your car.
Hate to say it but that was my first thought too. I have about 28,000 KM and have some minor pitting on the grill area, only 2 windshield dings (one fixed and now invisible, just got the other a few days ago from a semi flung rock).

I would look around the area it was parked and see if you can find any pellets.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a fair assumption but when I'm not breaking in my 2000 miles, its in the garage every minute of the day. I'm 110% positive its from pebbles and dirt specks on the road. What I don't get is, how can the paint be unscathed? I mean, paint, rims and head lights are all 100% ok but the windshield has this issue. I don't even park it in parking lots unless I remain in the car because I don't want to have someone park too close and ding the doors with their own doors. lol

Once this windshield is replaced ( I won't be able to deal with this for too much longer), can anyone make a suggestion based on experience or even great word of mouth from friends about something I might use to prevent it again? I was going to use 3m on the font of the car when I picked it up but decided that I didn't like the look of it. I saw a 911 with the same color as mine and it had 3m and I thought it looked a bit yellowish when compared to the paint. Im wondering if there's a similar solution that might not impair clarity of vision when using it on the front windshield.

thanks in advance and also, thank you for the input once again guys. Its really appreciated.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
That's clearly not normal. I'd take it back to the dealer and file a warranty claim for a replacement. And I wouldn't worry about putting a film on the new windshield. I think the chance of getting a second defective one is pretty small. The rest of us don't have this problem.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Are you SURE they're chips? Have you tried clay-barring a section or something just to ensure it's not something bizarre that just spattered the windshield?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Are you SURE they're chips? Have you tried clay-barring a section or something just to ensure it's not something bizarre that just spattered the windshield?
Yeah, it could be dirt, who knows. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound normal. I was blasted by peddles behind an 18 wheeler on the drive home from Ohio. I thought I was going to get rock chips everywhere but to my surprise, there was nothing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is a glass protection like for cell phones, it's costly, like $600 -$800 but they say it'll outlast the car. K-man has a write up on it too.

I second the clay at, park near a tree at all? We have pollen/sap that takes my soap and water minutes to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Can you post a photo or two?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will take some photos and post them as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there are holes in the glass . I passed over them with my finger and I can feel where the glass used to be. They are definitely holes.

It wasn't parked near any trees. I always have it parked in the garage. I'm going to call Porsche on Monday and talk to the service manager. See what he comes up with. I read on another post somewhere that German glass vs glass from China as far as replacement windshields were concerned, were that the glass from china was stronger but the German windshields were less prone to cracking overall. Truth in this? Who knows..

Even if that were the case, its evident that most people are clearly not having the same issues as I am( at least in this forum) so I'm thinking its just a defective windshield. Some attributed it to the aerodynamics of the 2013-2015 body styles and others have given the nod to the glass theory. If I had to go with one of those theories, I'd lean toward different glass compositions from different countries but again, quite a few more people would be having the same issues rather than just me.

Again, thanks for the feedback guys. At least I know now that this seems to be an isolated issue. I will post some pics when I can get some sun shining through the windshield so the spots are easy to view. I just gave it a bath so the windshield is spotless aside from the (pucks=holes.. not hockey equipment lol ). I'd imagine that Porsche is going to tell me they don't cover that as its most likely a wear and tear item and that I need to go through my insurance.. fun times..:crazy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd also like to address some of the comments since you guys took the time to leave them. Much appreciated. :cheers:

@kcz -- I am going to take it back to the dealer and see what my options are, in terms of preventing it again. thank you

@mikeearly--Its garaged all the time when its not being driven. I don't park in parking lots and no one else drives it. lol I'd have to attribute the damage to rocks and pebbles. I'd probably think that too had my storage method not been the case. thank you

@981ftw-- yeah, that would have been a likely scenario had I not been storing it like I do. thank you

@takeshi-- I expect some sort of pitting but I just didn't expect so much during the first week. Very surprised it's already this bad. This is also a Puck. Wolfgang-Puck-Book-Cuisine.jpg ;) Thank you

@az erik-- that's a great suggestion. I'm going to look into the post you had mentioned and see what is available and what people deem best thus far. Thank you

@ynot-- I can't believe it. Pebbles and such from an 18 wheeler and no issues and here I am dodging potholes like a ninja and staying at least 30 feet away from other cars in front of me when ever possible and I still have the issue. lol Good news is, the car is perfect for me and Its crazy fun to drive at any speed. thank you

@eddielasvegas-- Eddy, I hear you man.. New England is great on most ways so I guess having a bit more of the winter months is the trade off. Luckily, its more like 3 month winter overall. December rolls around and half the time, we still don't have any snow. Jan through March are usually the non driving months for me. With a heated steering wheel and seats combo, as long as no salt or snow is on the road, I'm driving.. :drivingskid: Thank you

@wild weasel-- I'm not exactly sure what clay barring is so I'm off to look it up on google and see what I come up with. Thanks for the suggestion.

@johnnyquest-- I'm going to look into xpel as an option. thank you

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
My BGTS shows no signs of this. I agree that you either have a defect issue or someone screwing with your car. I would think that if something hit your windshield hard enough to put holes in it, you would hear it when driving.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Been driving since 1961 and have never ever heard of anything like u say from gravel/rock salt/stones. Pellet gun is doubtful if there are a lot of chips, unless they are so large as to preclude something with lower energy. However, is there a somewhat circular or oval pattern to them? I'm wondering about .17 or .22 bird shot, if they are fairly small chips. Or maybe a larger caliber, depending on size of the chips. How many mm across? Even that would depend on the range. It could expiration how only the glass is chipped and not the paint, assuming the entire windshield is not chipped all over. Show us the pattern, if any, and by measuring # of chips in a smaller area and extrapolating, calculate the number of chips on the entire windshield. Then we can all put our minds to solving what caused it. Since that windshield is toast, you could try to simulate those chips with the right gun & ammo. But my guess is it was something small, if you see some sort of pattern on the windshield, and the chips are small. Let's us know pivot chip size and pattern, if any.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts