Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,
The manual (page 6) of 2010 cayman recommends the following during the break-in period of 3000km:
-Preferably take longer trips,
-Avoid frequent cold start with short distance driving,
-No racing (Dr. Kareem),
-Avoid high engine speeds, especially when cold.

I am wondering if all of you owners have the same recommendations. The other thing is I have driven the car for 1000km so far and I rarely exceed the 4000 rpm; nothing I can find in the manual about rpms. Any thoughts on this. When checked with the sales person, he told me to ignore such recommendations. Of course I am not following his advice.
:thanks:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Gradually increase your speed and your RPM... by 1500km you should be ready to go :)

I tracked my car at 1500km and I can definetely feel it stronger now.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
the best advise is from...1 the manual 2 some one in the know at the dealer

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Follow the manual. What you're doing sounds fine and just keep it up....the best part is we don't have to worry about cold starts here :cheers:

Are you going to make it to the Autodrome on Friday?

Doc, are you still coming over to Dubai?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Well I'm guilty as I've been over 5000rpm twice now (Wow it took off!), its only has 300km :( I needed to overtake up an incline.

I always change gear around 4000rpm, anything less than that I feel the car doesn't like it. Anyhow my dealer says drive it how you like, but I'm keeping to 4000rpm. There is something special about the 3.4 DFI I feel.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
It is interesting to note that many of the most technically savvy owners on this forum have pretty much ignored Porsche's break-in recommendations, and I have yet to read of a single engine problem even remotely ascribed to this scandalous behavior. Beyond a few hundred miles of slight restraint (and even that might be overly conservative) it would seem Porsche's break-in procedure is bunk.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
It is interesting to note that many of the most technically savvy owners on this forum have pretty much ignored Porsche's break-in recommendations, and I have yet to read of a single engine problem even remotely ascribed to this scandalous behavior. Beyond a few hundred miles of slight restraint (and even that might be overly conservative) it would seem Porsche's break-in procedure is bunk.
How did you break yours in?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Follow the manual. What you're doing sounds fine and just keep it up....the best part is we don't have to worry about cold starts here :cheers:

Are you going to make it to the Autodrome on Friday?

Doc, are you still coming over to Dubai?
Nope, changed my flight to fly to london for 2 weeks :banana:

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
After eight Porsches over 34 years and following Porsche's break in recommendations on each with zero problems I am in the camp that I'd never purchase a used Porsche not knowing how it had been treated. My logic is that after ignoring break in recommendations, next is ignoring service, using questionable parts and then it is all a slippery slope to Porsche purgatory. Or so I've been told....

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
How did you break yours in?
FWIW, which IMO is exactly you're paying for it, on both the Cayman S and the Boxster, we kept it them under about 5500 rpm for the 1st 500 miles. After that we ignored break-in procedures for the engine. I'm pretty conservative and rarely exceed 6000 rpm in the CS, but I've noticed that Mrs. Leadfoot, er, Mrs. blueone started winding out 1st gear shortly after 500 miles in the Boxster, though she swears she hasn't found the rev limiter yet. We'll see what Mr. Durametric says one of these days. ;)

I bedded the brakes on both cars at about 500 miles, with several repeated hard stops. At 2000 miles I always change the drive train fluids, regardless of marque, which on the Boxster and Cayman is the engine oil and the transaxle fluid. I can't think of anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
After eight Porsches over 34 years and following Porsche's break in recommendations on each with zero problems I am in the camp that I'd never purchase a used Porsche not knowing how it had been treated. My logic is that after ignoring break in recommendations, next is ignoring service, using questionable parts and then it is all a slippery slope to Porsche purgatory. Or so I've been told....
You're so right! I sometimes ignore doting on the Porsches for *days* at a time. :)

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
It is interesting to note that many of the most technically savvy owners on this forum have pretty much ignored Porsche's break-in recommendations, [snip]
Good to know I'm among the least technically savvy owners on this forum.

brad

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is very tempting to push the car to the limit. I have been driving cars, both Japanese and Germans, for years and never have had a real problem; mainly because I try my best to adhere to the instructions. what I have been doing lately is driving the car for about 20-30 minutes (nonstop at night) while going through all gears while keeping the RPM around 4000. In addition, I am avoiding driving for short distances while cold; I do take longer trips especially lat at night with the roads very much empty. As far as cold is concerned; luckily it does not get real cold here and the car warms up within a couple of minutes while driving at low speeds.
Thanks for all your invaluable comments.
:thanks:

·
Registered
149 Posts
At 2000 miles I always change the drive train fluids, regardless of marque, which on the Boxster and Cayman is the engine oil and the transaxle fluid. QUOTE]

I also recommend this, and sent both fluids to Blackstone Labs for analysis (came back fine). Be sure to document vehicle service history for future buyers. Dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
...I try my best to adhere to the instructions. what I have been doing lately is driving the car for about 20-30 minutes (nonstop at night) while going through all gears while keeping the RPM around 4000.
I also adhered to the break-in instructions on my '08 CS. Recommend you vary the RPMs and engine load, neither lugging nor racing, up & down through the gears and the rev range. Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello !
I am reading all of your comments with great interest !
I Drive a 08´ Boxster S and what Oil is the correct for the
Transaxel ? Is there a factory Diff on these cars from delivery 08´ ?
I know that there is a Limited Slip Diff availible now from the factory ?
Thanks !

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Hello !
I am reading all of your comments with great interest !
I Drive a 08´ Boxster S and what Oil is the correct for the
Transaxel ? Is there a factory Diff on these cars from delivery 08´ ?
I know that there is a Limited Slip Diff availible now from the factory ?
Thanks !
For 2008 Porsche did not offer a limited slip differential. The correct transaxle fluid is synthetic 75W-90 GL5 gear oil, and it takes a bit over three quarts. Porsche recommends their own brand, which is very expensive, or you can use aftermarket brands like Castrol. (If you or your dealer are fanatical regarding warranty issues, sticking with Porsche-branded parts is a good idea. Note that Porsche doesn't recommend changing the transaxle fluid until 108,000 miles.)

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
+1...I am always amazed that people would follow a post on a forum from someone they don't know over what Porsche recommends.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts