Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not starting the controversial question about break in period. But I'd like to hear back from the members who have PDK and followed the break in period. My question is how did you do that?

You see, if I drive in normal mode, the car drives most of the time below 2000 revs unless I go hard on the pedal. It always drives in high gears, and mostly in 7th gear. This contradicts with the manual request, not to keep the revs limited. If I go hard on the pedal, the car goes faster than speed limits. And once I ease on the gas pedal, it upshifts to high gears all the way to seven, keeping the revs very low.

If I drive in Sport mode, the revs start from 2000 rpm. Becomes much more responsive but still keeps the engine at ease by upshifting to sixth gear and staying there.

If I drive in Sport+ mode, the revs start from 4200 rpm. Of course it get on alert and extremely responsive but that's higher than the user manual's limit as it stays in low gears with high revs.

Seriously, how did you drive in break in period with PDK?

At this stage, I revved the engine in several occasions to red. But never hard to keep the rpm there. Just a hard pull then I ease on the pedal. Simply because the speed gets into 3 digits way above speed limit in a blink. So I can't go hard more than 3 seconds in any pull in whatever normal/Sport/+ mode. 95% of the time I'm in normal mode and below 2000 revs. 4% of the time I'm in Sport mode just to get the rev out of the 2000 range. Sport+ mode, I tried for the first time today. It's extremely dangerous inside the city for feathering the pedal means bullet acceleration.

Thanks in advance.

PS currently I have 900 km on the odometer.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
In the GT3 I drove it mostly in manual mode and shifted with the paddles. (I tried to stay below 4200 for 500mi, below 5k from 500 to 1000mi and below 6k to 1500mi and from then just drove it.) I also took a number of 100 to 150mi trips out of town, often early mornings to avoid traffic. Sometimes on those trips, when on the freeway I would put the PDK in normal auto. Then I would use the left paddle to downshift 2 or 3 gears keeping speed about constant. PDK would hold the gear for short time then auto upshift through the gears back to 7th. By repeating this, I could vary the rpms while keeping the speed more or less constant. I would also take frequent exits and stops to vary rpm and bed in the brakes. Definitely a challenge to keep it reigned in though. I can only imagine how difficult it is to restrain the turbo!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use the left paddle to downshift 2 or 3 gears keeping speed about constant. PDK would hold the gear for short time then auto upshift through the gears back to 7th.
I did this several times but as you said it upshifts in few seconds to 7th.

On the other hand, driving in manual mode with paddles is not easy. It doesn't feel engaging like the stick to pay attention to the gear to shift. Of course, a major factor is that I'm not used to it yet. Plus in break in period, I worry much about driving in manual and keeping the revs high all the time.

I found the Sport (not +) mode is closer to normal stick shift driving. The normal mode is too comfy and is for cruising. And the Sport+ is just insane. He who didn't call it Race/Corsa mode is an idiot. It's too much for the street.

Thank you Zedcat for your feedback.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I did a lot of manual shifting. I also tried to periodically load up the engine to get on boost and help seat the rings.

- Patrick

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a lot of manual shifting. I also tried to periodically load up the engine to get on boost and help seat the rings.

- Patrick
Patrick, can you share your rev range during break in? Mode?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I drove in sport because I like the throttle response better. I stuck to the 4200 rpm limit with a few jaunts to 6k during the 2k mile prescribed period.

- Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts