Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm undecided in what to do, my calipers are starting to discolor. Instead of being RED they are looking kinda pink! Apparently the previous owner used chemicals to clean them and now I'm paying the price (no biggie, I love the car). I have several options, paint them or powder coat them. Im heading toward the powder coating, any suggestions?????

Other questions I have and since I'm already taking the calipers off and the car needs rotors which brand would you recommend. I'm planning on replacing the brake fluid which ones should I buy? Which pads would be a good replacement? I had EBC reds on my G 35 Coupe and they where good and almost dust less!

As always, thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Buy a second hand set off eBay or a new set. Plenty to choose from. I just bought a rear set off eBay as mine were well cooked, they came in as new condition. Not a mark on them. Seals look perfect, much better than what I had that is for sure.

In reality if they are a few years old and are not tracked they are as good as new.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think mine where raced. I think its more like dried on paint without clear coat. If I wet them, they look red but as soon as the dry the like way less red. I was looking to have them powder coated Red with the porsche stencil on them, just like factory. I have seen them done by a local company river city powder coating in Jacksonville and they look just like new. I was looking at some of them on ebay before even considering pc mine but its just a gamble. Plus its more expensive than having mine done.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't think you powder coat with the porsche stencil. I think a sticker is applied after the powder is applied. I would paint, that is exactly what Brembo does. Their HQ is here in OC and I know for a fact all the custom calipers are sent out for painting and the stencil. My dealer just one of the Angels players 991 tt and he wanted Orange with black logo for his PCCB's and they painted them. ( He got a PTS of Orange) You are on the right path, just repair the ones you have, I would have painted and the stencils are available everywhere.

Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if its sticker or stencil but, im heading towards fixing mine. Btw nice cars!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I'd just leave them on the car and mask off all around them, then hit them with some red spray paint. I think I've seen the lettering available through different places online.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most likely the clear has come off leaving a dull red paint with the white Porsche lettering still intact. Check out VHT's brake caliper paints. They make a high temp clear coat that when applied (assuming all the red is in good shape) it will bring them back to a factory gloss red finish.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the thing, most of the Porsche letters have vanished. You can still kinda see them but they are "ghost" looking. Thats why Im considering re-doing them from scratch. I have seen some pictures of the "jobs" they've done but will have to see it in person before deciding. I was thinking of using some compound on them but i dont think they can do a comeback!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here's the thing, most of the Porsche letters have vanished. You can still kinda see them but they are "ghost" looking. Thats why Im considering re-doing them from scratch. I have seen some pictures of the "jobs" they've done but will have to see it in person before deciding. I was thinking of using some compound on them but i dont think they can do a comeback!
you can buy those Porsche letters in sticker form on ebay and also red caliper paint to go on before

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Get the calipers clean, mask everything around them, spray what's visible with high temp or caliper paint, put on the decals, and finish with a high temp or caliper clear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts