Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Bridgestone PE 71R?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jim@tirerack 
#1 ·
I’m using Michelin PSSs for heavy track use in my 2014 CS. (The PS S was not out at the time.) Someone recommended Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R as having more grip. Any opinions on dry traction as well as on wear, a topic here a few years ago?

(I don’t want to go to a second set of wheels and, say, Hoosiers, for track days.)

#2 ·
RE-71R dry traction is absolutely phenomenal, on-par with Pilot Sport Cup 2. It's been the go-to tire for autocross competition and other competitions with 200TW rules since it came out. Yet they're actual genuine street tires and just as great for daily driving. The only real con is that they wear out quickly. Endurance racers tend to opt for other tires that are a little lower grip, but last longer.

#3 ·
They are a little grippier than Cup 2s. I have used them both. You can hear them trying to peal the black tar off expansion joints. They are louder and you feel every imperfection in the road. If you are at the track 10-12+ days per year and are an advanced driver, go with the RE-71Rs. If you do 2-3 weekends per year and still want a smooth ride with the extra grip of a Comp R tire, then go with the Cup 2s. Either way, make sure your car is aligned with sports parameters that have the camber as high as reasonably possible otherwise you will prematurely wear out the outside edge of the tires. Both tires are much better for the track and handle better in the turns of course, but will also improve your cars braking considerably. I have seen 1.38 g under hard braking.

#4 ·
RE-71r > Excellent grip for track days or driving on the street. I find they manage heat of continuous lapping much better than PSS which tend to chunk at the shoulders. They don't "fail" under track use but they do wear out quickly. I get about 5 track days on them until I find the cord. RE-11. Dunlop Direzza, Hankook RS-3 variants, and Yoko AD-08 hold up equally well to continuous lapping, are about 1 sec slower, but last about 2x as long. Pick your poison.

All tires are a tradeoff.

Reactions: CGH3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.