Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I purchased the Bridgestone RE-71R tires in May 2015 for my Cayman R. They were the new favorite tire from many of the autocross forums and tests on-line. My experience:

Positive:
*Consistent tire. At one autocross on four timed laps I did a 122.95, 122.95, 122.94, and 122.94. My times have been more consistent with this tire.
*Communication. I know what is happening with this tire and what it is going to do. You can make minor adjustments when they start breaking to get back in control. I can leave my stability control off with these tires and never be concerned. My previous tires (Bridgestone RE-11) were not consistent when breaking loose. I normally left my traction control on.
*Dry handling. I don't have experience with low tread ratings such as 40. But these tires are fast and seem to get better times for everyone that has put them on.

Negative:
*Tire wear. These are supposed to be 200 tread tires. I know that 200 ratings are going to be different between the manufactures. However, I would expect the rating to be relatively close for a given manufacturer. My Bridgestone RE-11s lasted a year and had 7 DEs and 7 AXs. The RE-71R have 5 AXs and you can see the steel radial showing. This isn't even close to the RE-11s that have the exact same tread rating from the same manufacturer. You come to your own conclusion with the rating.
*Road noise. Horrendous.

So will I buy the RE-71R again? Probably not. I'm not competing for top time of day or top time in my class most sessions. Although I've been in the top 10 twice this year and won my class twice. And I did it once on the RE-11s. I need something that is going to last a little longer for the price.

Good luck

Andrew

·
Registered
319 Posts
Watched a guy on the track yesterday running RE-71's. He liked the performance on the track. He was running good lap times.
But, his tires were melting and shedding rubber like crazy. They were not able to handle the heat generated during 25-30 min sessions of a DE. I don't know how many days of use he will get out of those tires, expect not many.

Reactions: AR01

·
Registered
810 Posts
There's a lot of treadwear gaming going on for marketing purposes. Companies can't claim higher wear, but CAN mark them lower. Case in point: Hankook R-S3 was sold as a 140TW tire until a bunch of motorsports organizations required minimum 200TW... at which point Hankook responded by stating the R-S3 was actually 200TW all along. Those "in the know" say it actually measured close to 300TW in testing. A lot of the supposed "200TW" tires did, too. Bridgestone RE-71R, BF Goodrich RivalS, and Toyo R1R, though, supposedly are a lot closer to 200. They are not 80k all-seasons, they are high performance tires.

I've been driving RE-71R since June on my 987.2S. 105 autocross runs so far, plus about 2000 street miles and they'll still (barely) pass state inspection. I flipped the tires after about 60 runs which is the only reason they didn't already cord. I've heard contradicting rumors about whether they're "good" to the cords or start to fall off around the treadwear indicators, but I'm down to the treadwear indicators right now and the next autocross should be telling. Assuming the good rubber goes all the way down, I expect to get about 115 autocross runs plus 40 time trial laps on the local track and 2500 street miles, which is about what I was getting out of Dunlop ZII, though not as good as ZII*. As far as driving style goes, I'm a quick driver (multiple 1st place overall trophies & state championships, etc.) and my codriver and I both drive very hard. Camber, pressure, surface and driving style are all important factors in tread life so other drivers may get more life from their tires than we do. Or a small alignment problem could cord them in a session- I would NOT run any front toe-out with these tires.

I daily drive these tires to work, too. As far as daily-driven street performance goes, these are absolutely phenomenal tires- great grip, great behavior, and very little noise as the limit. Very good wet performance, too- no hydroplaning in heavy rain at 75mph with near full tread. One person remarked that his telemetry showed that, in the wet, his RE-71R launched a few tenths faster than the BFG Rival did in the dry. Yeah, they're that good. There has been some drone at speed as they wear down; enough to notice, but not enough to bother me. Very similar to ZII/ZII*, actually. The only real con is they don't last very long, but if you care about your timeslip, you have little choice but to get them. 12 of the 14 street tire trophies at SCCA autocross nationals this past week were won on RE-71R tires. (The other two were won on Rival S.)

Would I buy them again? Yes! In fact, I have a fresh set sitting in my kitchen just waiting to be mounted.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You are correct on the 200 treadwear. They have to have the 200 to be legal for the street class so that is where the tire mfgs all have the Extreme Performance tires at. Give how they are used they are not going to last a long time but the wet and dry is the best that we tested. You can get longer tread life at the sacrifice of performance. How much I guess depends on the car and driver.
If I can help with anything let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts