Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've compared my wife's new Bridgestone RE-050A's ('07 CS) and my older 12,000 mile Michelin PS2's (on my '06 CS) and there was a world of difference in handling.:eek: We were on the Streets of Willow track, Lancaster CA and the Bridgestones were so much better. Unfortunately, I couldn't compare the NEW PS2's, my original Michelins were on the car when I bought the CS (pre-owned). The tires have plenty if tread, but maybe they are worn out, heat-cycled or something. Looks like there is plenty of mileage on the old PS2's (visually).

I'm thinking of replacing the PS2's with either NEW SET of PS2's or the new Bridgestones. Are the PS2's wore out at 12,000 miles? How are YOUR PS2's holding out, mileage wise and handling? Any opinion would be appreciated!:cheers:

--Hal

·
Registered
196 Posts
You should also consider the RE-11's if you are going to the track. While I think that the PS2's are more responsive, the RE-11's were much more sticky on the track. The ride between the two was similar IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I had the PS2s originally, and replaced them (at about 18K miles) with the RE050s - I think the Bridgestones are a little better in the rain, but I can't say that I've noticed a "world of difference" in dry handling, though I've never driven my RE050s on the track. I don't know if the 12K miles on the PS2s would have made much difference in your case; if anything, the shorter tread depth would have reduced some tread squirm that you might get with a newer tire. I doubt that heat-cycling was an issue.

If I were getting a street tire to use occasionally on the track, I would go with the RE-11s also.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I changed out my PS2' at a little over 12,000 miles. Based on the tread wear indicators they probably would have gone another 3,000 - 4,000 miles on the rears and maybe 10,000 miles on the fronts; but the grip (on the track) was all gone.

In fairness, the tires had been on the car for a year before I took delivery so they may have dried out a little. For the street, I am so far very happy with the new Hankooks.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I changed out my PS2' at a little over 12,000 miles. Based on the tread wear indicators they probably would have gone another 3,000 - 4,000 miles on the rears and maybe 10,000 miles on the fronts; but the grip (on the track) was all gone.
Had the same with my PS2's and even compared to when they were almost new my new PZero's (N2) are much better, although a little harder ride and noise....but well worth it for the better grip.

RE-11's seem to be the way to go, especially for the price.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS2's are great for the street, but so-so on the track. Any more drivers lose grip from the PS2's when they have more than 12K miles on the tires?

RE-11's seem to be in my Cayman's future.:banana:

The PS2's are expensive too!:eek:

--Hal

·
Registered
65 Posts
My husband recently drive my 07 CS and hit a pothole. bent rim just enough to ruin it and of course had a flat.( That is another story... No help from Porsche roadside service in Los angeles) I had PS2's. Always thought loose in the wet. He has a hatred of Michelin especially since the fiasco at the Indy Formula 1 a few years back. He replaced them with Bridgestone RE 11. I love them. great ride ( after slightly under inflating ) very grippy. I drive curvy canyons from Hollywood Hills. Maybe a little noisier but not much. I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My husband recently drive my 07 CS and hit a pothole. bent rim just enough to ruin it and of course had a flat.( That is another story... No help from Porsche roadside service in Los angeles) I had PS2's. Always thought loose in the wet. He has a hatred of Michelin especially since the fiasco at the Indy Formula 1 a few years back. He replaced them with Bridgestone RE 11. I love them. great ride ( after slightly under inflating ) very grippy. I drive curvy canyons from Hollywood Hills. Maybe a little noisier but not much. I would highly recommend.
Thanks!! Your story is the last straw. I'm switching to RE-11's! PS2's are fine for daily driving, but let's you down if you are tracking them or pushing around the twisties. Thanks again!:)

Now....what's this story about Porsche Road Assistance? I always thought the "Road Assistance" is a generic tow service, assigned to a typical nearby gas station that happens to be affiliated with a tow service. Nothing special with that. They don't care if they service/tow a Porsche or a Yugo! That's why I roll my eyes:rolleyes: when a dealership touts "Porsche Road Service" in your dealer package! Instead of a smiling and uniformed mechanic with a Porsche hat, you get a filthy, angry, over-worked, beer-bellied, t-shirted person who cannot speak English!:mad:

--Hal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.