Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently passed the 2,000 mile recommended break-in or wearing-in period for my 2015 Cayman GTS 6MT. So I have been searching out empty roads to test wide open throttle acceleration up through all 6 gears, approaching redline but upshifting 2-300 RPMS below redline. Before attempting I gently warm up the car such that coolant temp is around 198°F and oil temp is just over 200°F. When accelerating I have consistently noticed a very brief drop off in power delivery at about 5,000-5,200 RPM in at least 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. The sensation is similar to a soft rev limiter cut in lasting less than a full second, after which full power comes back all the way up to the point of changing up. It is consistent. Has anyone else experienced this or heard anyone else complain about it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Still very much in my break-in period, but interested to see if anybody has anything to say.

·
Registered
269 Posts
At around 5K the VarioCam Plus should be kicking in with a gradual torque drop occurring within that range as well. It could be that on the GTS it's mapped differently than the S, but I've never felt mine to be that abrupt in the way you're describing it. You definitely notice the increased engine response and the engine pacing itself faster.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm still in the break-in period too, so no high RPMs for me yet.

However, since this engine exhibits some lumpy acceleration (also known as hesitation) at lower RPMs (at least on the 6MT), I wouldn't be surprised to encounter some at high RPMs as well. It's the least smooth engine that I've driven since the 70s in terms of acceleration, but maybe that's part of its charm, and just the way Porsche flat-6 engines behave. This surprised me because I thought it would be very linear and smooth.

·
Registered
269 Posts

However, since this engine exhibits some lumpy acceleration (also known as hesitation) at lower RPMs (at least on the 6MT), I wouldn't be surprised to encounter some at high RPMs as well. It's the least smooth engine that I've driven since the 70s in terms of acceleration, but maybe that's part of its charm, and just the way Porsche flat-6 engines behave. This surprised me because I thought it would be very linear and smooth.
You will never see the charm of this engine until you keep it over 5k.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

Could be a problem with your car. I haven't noticed any repeatable lumpy responses in my S. Have you compared it to another one?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
At around 5K the VarioCam Plus should be kicking in with a gradual torque drop occurring within that range as well. It could be that on the GTS it's mapped differently than the S, but I've never felt mine to be that abrupt in the way you're describing it. You definitely notice the increased engine response and the engine pacing itself faster.
The VarioCam Plus should be working through the entire rev range.

What does happen around the 5,000 mark is the Flapper Valve in the Plenum moves to open and changes the resonance in the plenum.

There may be a problem with the flapper valve operation in the Ops car.

:cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The VarioCam Plus should be working through the entire rev range.

What does happen around the 5,000 mark is the Flapper Valve in the Plenum moves to open and changes the resonance in the plenum.

There may be a problem with the flapper valve operation in the Ops car.

:cheers:
Yes I did consider that the problem could be with the resonance induction system changing over from torque optimized to power output optimized at higher revs. The symptoms would seem to fit a sticky or "lazy" flap valve and I'll investigate from that angle first. I also wondered about a flaw in the ignition map or other software problem.

This is my third Porsche flat six (3.2, 3.8 and now 3.4 liter) and I have never experienced this before. I do not believe it is inherent to the engineering of these engines.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I feel like I'm experiencing some of that hesitation as well. I'm still on the dealership-filled tank of gas, but I have noticed that after warming the oil up to 165, harder acceleration from about 2000-4500RPM had 2-3 momentary dips in acceleration that lurched me forward the tiniest bit. I'm trying really hard to remember if the 6MT Cayman S that I drove exhibited the same symptoms or not.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I don't have any hesitation in my car whether I take it easy or WOT. Regarding comment on hesitation in WOT, whether it's an S or GTS, go and have your car check. I am into autocross so WOT in 2nd after every curve is the norm and it just get more responsive as the RPM pickup, but no dip.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
I recently passed the 2,000 mile recommended break-in or wearing-in period for my 2015 Cayman GTS 6MT. So I have been searching out empty roads to test wide open throttle acceleration up through all 6 gears, approaching redline but upshifting 2-300 RPMS below redline. Before attempting I gently warm up the car such that coolant temp is around 198°F and oil temp is just over 200°F. When accelerating I have consistently noticed a very brief drop off in power delivery at about 5,000-5,200 RPM in at least 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. The sensation is similar to a soft rev limiter cut in lasting less than a full second, after which full power comes back all the way up to the point of changing up. It is consistent. Has anyone else experienced this or heard anyone else complain ab
Thanks!
Yes, but the question that comes to mind is; did the tower clear you for a take off roll on runway 9 ? :eek:

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a 2014 981CS (delivered in June-2013). I've had several track outings (DE) in both Sport and Sports-Plus. I have never experienced any power hesitation at 5K or other ranges. I tend to drive track in Sport-Plus and PDK-Auto. And its a rush. You might want to have your car checked. It shouldn't do that, IMO.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I don't have any hesitation in my car whether I take it easy or WOT. Regarding comment on hesitation in WOT, whether it's an S or GTS, go and have your car check. I am into autocross so WOT in 2nd after every curve is the norm and it just get more responsive as the RPM pickup, but no dip.
Couldn't agree more. I've owned many Porsches, mostly 911s, and have never experienced any hesitation regardless of the rev range. A trip to the shop is a must.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like a fun problem for the dealer service dept. to verify :drivingskid:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good morning,

I was going to post something similar to this. I too experience a hesitation (sometimes) in second gear near WOT. Now that the mileage is over 15,000 + I was wondering, if this was due to Direct Injection and that the valves are getting a bit dirty due to the design.

I began adding Chevron with Techron every 3-5,000 miles. It seems to REALLY help.

THOUGHTS???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts