Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facebook story below. Read on at your own risk.

At the moment, the Cayman S is a 3rd car (not sure if the Chumpcar really counts...) for me. I am fairly successful, and aside from two Great Danes and two cats, live alone in a modest house. Point being, I don't really need anything more than two seats right now and have an old GX470 as my daily driver.

A friend of mine works at the BMW dealer in town and has been giving me crap about moving to Porsche, with the promise of a great deal on a new ///M. I also have recently found myself treating the CS as more of a garage queen and being anxious about parking in public places after I caught a woman leaning heavily on the front quarter panel of my car for a photo opp (no damage luckily). So a new F80 built to order with a 6MT piqued my interest. That car is about as equally as rare, but since most people can't tell it apart from the 20,000 other F30s on the road it wouldn't draw the crowds. It would also give enough practicality to throw the dogs in the back when needed.

No dealers around here have a manual, so I the closest I got was an M4 with DCT. I figured driving dynamics would be the same, and I could replicate pulls by holding gears in manual mode. I was serious enough about a possible trade that I brought the Cayman title with me.

Holy cow.

I will start with the good: It was comfortable and quiet when not getting on it, and the carbon weave cloth seats were grippy.

Now the not so good: The car has no soul. Since it was a friend, he let me go into M Mode which turns off traction control and sets everything to its most responsive settings.

Engine: Turbo lag. Bad. What's the point of having a turbo engine that tails off at 6k rpm if you have that much lag. Yes the torque is good once it spools and it pulls hard, but my stage 1+ tuned N54 actually was more responsive and honestly felt like it pulled harder

Sound: I have good ears, but could immediately detect the artificial sound BMW pipes through the stereo. Definitely artificial. And the Harmon Kardon, which used to be an upgrade but is now standard (and the only option) for 2016, is hollow and tinny. The Bose in the Cayman isn't great, unless you compare it directly to the HK. Ooofda.

Handling: The car is HEAVY. No amount of fancy suspension can compensate for a 3,600 lb car when transitioning left to right. It also pushed more into corners than I was expecting (possibly spoiled by the CS though). Like all of the reviews, it is easy to step the rear end out and to its credit is predictable and easy to modulate.

To me, it feels as though they have turned the car from a sports sedan to a sports tourer. It reminds me of the e60 550i, but not as engaging.

So so as you can probably imagine, I drove home in the Cayman, taking the long way so I could get over 10,000 miles on the car, and enjoying every bit of my PSE and NA 7,5000 engine screaming as I rowed through the gears. I seriously hope the M2 is good just for the sake of BMW and competition. But there are rumors that it will only be available with DTC.

Enjoy your motoring!

Reactions: baege and bybybmw

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Your story about the lack of "soul" in BMW's now echos many other comments I have been hearing. I used to love BMW but my 2002 E39 528 was the last BMW I had that was any good. Wish I still had it. Nothing else after that has done it for me as far as BMW's go.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I too echo these sentiments coming from BMW. It's my belief they have lost their way. At least I had the privilege of owning the last GREAT car they made...the E9x M3.
Profit is WAY up though. It seems the bottom line IS the bottom line.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your story about the lack of "soul" in BMW's now echos many other comments I have been hearing. I used to love BMW but my 2002 E39 528 was the last BMW I had that was any good. Wish I still had it. Nothing else after that has done it for me as far as BMW's go.
I had an e39 M5 (among many other BMWs) and it is still one of my favorite do everything cars, and one of the few cars I regret selling.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too echo these sentiments coming from BMW. It's my belief they have lost their way. At least I had the privilege of owning the last GREAT car they made...the E9x M3.
Profit is WAY up though. It seems the bottom line IS the bottom line.

I had actually been looking pretty hard for an e90 M3 but wasn't able to find a clean one with no stories. I had always wanted a Cayman S, and the one I own sort of serendipitously fell into my lap.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had actually been looking pretty hard for an e90 M3 but wasn't able to find a clean one with no stories. I had always wanted a Cayman S, and the one I own sort of serendipitously fell into my lap.
Hard to find unmolested. The last one was mine. Sold after 3 years and only 16k miles. It was a manual Alpine White ZCP E92. I only sold it thinking I was divorcing. I did miss it but not as much since I found an absolute diamond.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The only good thing about BMW these days are its motorcycles, my friend just brought home a GS 1200, very, very nice bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts