Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Britain is one less GT4 already!

7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Arnie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Supercar
A very sorry sight ........................

See less See more
#4 ·
Cup 2 tires on cold, wet English streets. A recipe for disaster.

I would suggest this be a wake up call for those with GT4's who plan on using them on the street in less than ideal conditions, swap out the Cup2's for PSS tires. Exactly the same thing started happening when Z06 owners with the Z07 options started taking delivery. One local owner didn't even make it home from the dealership before he put his brand new Z07 into a curb. It was literally sitting in the body shop with 7 miles on the odometer.

Reactions: schuy
#11 ·
That is a very good warning. Just his weekend I took mine out early in the morning. Getting on the freeway onramp about 3 miles from the house I took it pretty fast. Was a cold morning and the streets were slightly damp from rains the day before. Not your normal southern California conditions.

Anyway I took the turn just fine and it felt so good I rolled into the gas as I exited, but clearly a little too much and a little too early. The back end came out pretty quick. On the other hand it quickly turned into a nice controlled slide as the nannys kicked in. But I was surprised how easily it broke free as it would normally not do that.

The car should definitely be respected with cold tires.

#8 · (Edited)
Will polish out. We are one down in Germany, completely burned out, could only identify the GT4 because the roll age withstood the heat. Owner took delivery 6 days before and crashed it on the Autobahn... Both driver and passenger survived, but press coverage suggests that the heli took them into special hospitals to treat the burns.

Reminds me of my Lotus time, surviving 1st year is critical with mid engined cars...

#9 ·
Will polish out. We are one down in Germany, completely burned out,mouldy only identify the GT4 because the roll age withstood the heat. Owner took delivery 6 days before and crashed it on the Autobahn... Both driver and passenger survived, but press coverage suggests that the heli took them into special hospitals to treat the burns.

reminds me of my Lotus time, surviving 1st year is critical with mid engined cars...
I figured this accident was important enough to post in a new thread, with translation of the local news account:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-gt4-chat/115934-germany-down-gt4-trigger-warning.html

#14 ·
This car was picked up by my company which offers provenance checks, same as others but we link to salvage records on top of all data provided. Can't post a link to report as it will get deleted due to advertising rules. This car is currently HPI clear and on sale, via an advert on Pistonheads.com:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...resh-service--opc--pccb--comfort-spec/9595947

Another failing of the insurance system in UK as per the Autoexpress article: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/106336/the-great-british-car-insurance-write-off-scandal

It turns out it was never officially written off and is sold as NON-accident one :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.