Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I'm an idiot.

With that out of the way, today I failed to notice that my top hook was still caught on the windshield as I held the "retract" button to lower my top.

Big noise (like something breaking) and now the top doesn't move at all when trying to raise/lower it. Stays in the "up" position. The rear top cover continues to move up/out as it expects to receive the retracting top, but obviously that never happens.

Any knowledge if this is a DIY fix or am I looking at major $ for the shop to do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You're not the first to have this happen. When I did it a few yrs ago, I had the dealership fix it. Ended up $800 lighter but everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you explain this mistake? Trying to work out what you did. Just so me and I'm sure others are more careful in the future. Many Thanks, Hassan :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, I unhooked the top from the windshield using the standard procedure, but apparently didn't totally disengage it and it hooked on the windshield as I was retracting. Rather than burn the motor out there are two plastic pieces designed to fail and they did (been doing some internet research on this).

You can see in the attached photo:

Auto part Automotive exterior

Those two white plastic parts shouldn't be two parts, rather one. So I ordered some replacements off ebay ($25) and *hope* to do the repair myself.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You most likely broke the little ball joints that connect the motor cables to the arms that move the top. Don't worry too much. You can easily replace them - do a search on the forum how to do it. I think also pelicanparts has an article on the issue. The parts are available online or on ebay. Don't remember the exact price but was something like 20 bucks. There are 2 options - plastic, like the OEM and metal, which are obviously not going to break. There is a reason why the OEM is plastic. When you make a mistake like yours, they will break and will prevent the motor ($600 and a lot more involved labor to replace) from burning or the motor gear from failing. Your choice. When I bought the car one was broken. I replaced both and went with the plastic OEM version. Replacing the plastic links will take you about and hour and there is nothing complicated there. Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did the same thing, even though I unlatched the hook it caught on the way out. I don't think it was more than $200 for my independent mechanic to replace those two plastic parts. They are designed as a weak point, don't replace them with metal parts which will move the breaking point somewhere else. And now I'm very careful to make sure the hook is fully out before I operate the motor :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick follow up:

Fixed this myself. Ordered these off ebay ($25), waited a couple weeks for them to be delivered, and installed in ~20 minutes. Everything working fine again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.